Cop in Charger Pulled Me Over - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Challenger Chat Lounge Come on in and visit with your friends... This section is for socializing and 'just for fun' type threads. Please ONLY post those threads within this section **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
It was between 6:30 and 7:00PM getting dark out, I was headed to take my wife out to eat in a town 25 miles away. Leaving my local town population of 5000 with 1 stop light it was rush hour with everyone leaving town. LOL

I was sitting at the stop sign which there aren't many to sit at in the 1st place and was starting to get impatient with all the car traffic in a town that never has any traffic. Since we were in my Challenger, I said the hell with it and launched my Challenger with the GY F1s getting real good traction and we rocked to 60 mph in short order and ducked in and around traffic. Speed limit was 60 then turns to 70.
I set the cruise at 73 and then I see some head lights weaving thru the cars behind me. At this time I'm leading the pack of cars with no one in front of me. At this point only about 10 seconds has passed since I left that stop sign and thought maybe it was another car coming up to race me. I didn't speed up and I set the cruise at 73 mph like I normally do at this point on the road. About 4 more miles up I see the Christmas trees flashing behind me, so I slowed to 65 mph and he stayed behind me. Looking for a good place to pull over I did so in a businesses parking lot right off the highway. I parked and the cop in the same Granite Crystal Metallic unmarked Charger, except for hidden Christmas lights in it, stopped about 40 feet from me. Same color car as mine. He got out of his car and stood behind his door, I rolled my window down and looked back at him and he waved at me to get out and come over to his car. I got out and walked over to see what he says. He said, do you have a gun on you? I said no, Now, I'm expecting a ticket for something, but I never sped I just went fast getting to the speed limit.

He said do you know what the speed limit was back there? I said yes sir, 60 mph then turns to 70. He asked, do you know how fast you were going? I said yes sir,.
He said I'm headed home also, do you have you drivers license? Yes sir, hang on. I'll get my billfold. I walked back over to him and gave him my license. He said do you still live at so and so address? I said yes sir. He gave me back my license and said I'm not giving you a ticket because I'm headed home. I'm thinking good deal and said thank you Mr. Williams- that was the name on his shirt tag.

He drove off and I went on my way to take my wife to eat. I don't knew what kind of ticket he could give me that I wouldn't have gotten out of since I wasn't speeding. Maybe exhibition of the power of a Challenger to get into traffic and around them in short order? LOL He was a real nice guy and think he was just surprised to see a car rock to 60 mph in a little old po-dunk town of mine. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190120_174818_1552141752665.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	941231

2018 SXT Plus Granite Crystal Metallic
2017 Maverick XMR 1000R
2015 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4 Aisin
2014 Palomino Columbia 43' TH

Last edited by Mud Yapster; 03-09-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,736 Times in 1,875 Posts
Garage
You were lucky. It's always a good thing to be polite and cooperative with the police. Also, it helped that you were a local resident.

If he wanted, the officer could have cited you for "exhibition of speed." Generally, this two-point violation states that a person shall not engage in a motor vehicle exhibition of speed on a highway. Some common acts which are treated as exhibition of speed include: burning or squealing tires or other forms of allowing tires to lose traction, performing “wheelie” maneuvers on a motorcycle, doing other types of motorcycle stunts, or accelerating at a high rate of speed from a stop light/sign or from a lesser moving speed.

To be convicted of this violation, a prosecutor would need to show that the driver intended to “exhibit” or show off to an observer. A passenger in the vehicle could qualify as an observer, in the case of a a driver performing an exhibition of speed in a desolate area with no other people around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:28 AM

16 of us in our Challenger Club were heading from CO to TX for a MOPAR event a couple of summers ago. As things usually go, we egged each other on to drive fast. Didn't even get out of CO yet and there he was, speed trap from the interstate overpass. He rolled up behind our group and pulled over the last guy in line (never be the last guy ). The state trooper said "I clocked every one of you doing over a hundred and you at 112". He then said "I have a good mind to radio my buddies and ticket every one of you but by shift is ending soon and will be too much paperwork. Just slow the f**k down and be careful". We drove pretty tame from there until we reached Texas.

Last edited by MiHiHemi; 03-09-2019 at 09:30 AM.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:41 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
I am waiting for the day when I get busted for this:

625 ILCS 5/11-505) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-505)
Sec. 11-505. No person shall operate any motor vehicle in such a manner as to cause or allow to be emitted squealing, screeching or other such noise from the vehicle's tires due to rapid acceleration or excessive speed around corners or other such reason.
This Section shall not apply to the following conditions:
(a) an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call or when in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator; nor
(b) the emergency operation of a motor vehicle when avoiding imminent danger; nor I
(c) any raceway, racing facility or other public event, not part of a highway, sanctioned by the appropriate governmental authority.

I wanted to the plates with 11 505 on it but it's not a valid alpha/numeric structure here in Illinois.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here's what happened to me several years ago. My family decided to visit a friend who was a captain in the Marines at Camp Lejeune, NC.

With NJ plates, I was very careful to abide by the speed limits in all of the little tobacco towns between I-95 and the coast. Going through the town of Richlands, I slowly passed a car that was making a right-hand turn into a driveway. It was the last house in the town and there was nothing but a long rural straightaway ahead.

As soon as I passed the car, a sheriff pulled me over. He said that I crossed the solid white line. I was very polite and gave him the "no sir" and "yes sir" treatment. When he asked where I was going, I said "To Camp Leujune, sir." He responded, "Okay, I'll just give you a warning. Get back to base safe." Apparently, he thought that I was a Marine. It pays to be respectful.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:19 PM

(b) the emergency operation of a motor vehicle when avoiding imminent danger;

What if you explained to the officer that you were positive an alien spacecraft was coming up behind you to abduct you and were in fear for your life?

If he doubted that was happening, perhaps you could admit you occasionally suffer from various psychological conditions that cause sudden anxiety.

And point out you never exceeded the speed limit.

I bet it would work.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:32 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finface View Post

What if you explained to the officer that you were positive an alien spacecraft was coming up behind you to abduct you and were in fear for your life?

If he doubted that was happening, perhaps you could admit you occasionally suffer from various psychological conditions that cause sudden anxiety.

I bet it would work.
That's assuming you pass the sobriety test...which would be warranted considering alien spacecraft are being referenced.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Lol! Excellent observation.

Maybe in fear of an ex-wife you thought you spied?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finface View Post

I bet it would work.
If he didn't believe you, ask him if he ever the saw The Project Blue Book television show.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Only time I've been pulled over was when a cop tried to pass me on the right while I had my blinker on.

***** clearly wanted to beat me to the highway on-ramp in his FERD crossover and got pissy when I passed him.

If I wasn't in the middle of a move to Texas, I would have fought the ticket, because I had him on camera failing to stop on a right turn at a red light, and me clearly being ahead of him, which means he accelerated past the speed limit to end up in my blind spot.

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6

Last edited by praiseV8; 03-09-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Challenger Chat Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode