Factory Five Kit Cars - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Challenger Chat Lounge Come on in and visit with your friends... This section is for socializing and 'just for fun' type threads. Please ONLY post those threads within this section **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 12:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
A good rule of thumb for project cars is to figure out what you think it will cost and how long it will take and double it to get realistic answers.
Thats a real good rule.. People who build the GTM kit can drop 80-120k to finish it completely... Budget conscious people can do it for 75k nickel and diming everything... but the length of the build goes up by doing so

2015 SUBLIME M6 SRT 392 Challenger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 12:13 PM

You can buy a nice secondhand Cobra kit car with a killer engine for around 35,000 or a cheap one with a 302 for 25,000. They guys will have put 50 or 60 into them and worked out all the problems.

2017 Destroyer Gray Challenger Hellcat and 2018 Destroyer Gray Challenger STX
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 11:13 PM

I have built a kit car before, just a nice, simple Bradley GT. My Boss tried to build a Cobra, it is still not finished and probably will not be any time soon. Plan on EVERYTHING taking longer and costing alot more than you originally thought. That, by the way doesn't count all the unforeseen problems that will pop up. My Boss chose a company the looked like they had a better product than Factory 5 but had alot of manufacturing problems (like thermostat housings being welded 90 degrees off and differential mounts being machined 15 degrees off etc.) that just kept eating time and will power. eventually, the company went belly up. I forget the name of it. Right now he has a 95% complete chassis and a body but not a car. Good luck. Or, as the old knight in the Indiana Jones movie said "You must choose wisely."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FROM HOME 094.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	867642  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertankerm60a3 View Post
I have built a kit car before, just a nice, simple Bradley GT. My Boss tried to build a Cobra, it is still not finished and probably will not be any time soon. Plan on EVERYTHING taking longer and costing alot more than you originally thought. That, by the way doesn't count all the unforeseen problems that will pop up. My Boss chose a company the looked like they had a better product than Factory 5 but had alot of manufacturing problems (like thermostat housings being welded 90 degrees off and differential mounts being machined 15 degrees off etc.) that just kept eating time and will power. eventually, the company went belly up. I forget the name of it. Right now he has a 95% complete chassis and a body but not a car. Good luck. Or, as the old knight in the Indiana Jones movie said "You must choose wisely."
I like your GT, I bet it was a fun project. To me, that would be the allure of venturing in to a kit car. The satisfaction of building it. A question for you, how do you get a kit car registered for public roads?

Current rides:
B5 Hellcat Challenger
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Past rides:
2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged
2006 Viper Coupe
2001 Viper GTS Coupe
1999 Corvette Coupe
1996 Corvette Coupe
1987 Merkur XR4Ti
1982 Corvette Coupe
1969 Corvette Convertible
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 11:26 PM

Registering your kitcar will vary WILDLY state by state. In VW based cars, the VIN is on the floorpan. This part never changes. I bought the GT body half buried in a field in Yreka, I bought it for 200 and a rusted dead chassis for 100 to push the body around on. 20 months later, it was ready to be mounted. I bought a accident damaged 69 Beetle, got it fixed and inspected and drove it for 3 months then just switched the bodies. So, technically it is still a 69 VW Beetle.

The thing only weighed 1600 pounds. Only 600 on the front axle. It could be quite an adventure to drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FROM HOME 077.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	924.4 KB
ID:	867962  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:54 AM

While I have not built a kit car I have strongly considered a Factory Five project. Having studied Factory Fives literature, talked with folks who have built them, inspected completed builds it is my opinion that the Factory Five offerings are igh quality and as close to "bolt it together" as it gets. With that said, a great deal of experience is required to recognize when something is incorrect in the kit as well as resolve the the problems you will encounter while "making it yours". IMO a Factory Five project is not for someone with the experience and tools you described.

With that said, my biggest problem with Factory Five is they do not have options for MOPAR engine and transmission mounts. In my case this means I would be cutting apart a complete new chassis to retrofit it for MOPAR running gear. Who knows what else would need to be modified as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Challenger Chat Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode