Germans: Shockingly Good Shock Makers - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Challenger Chat Lounge Come on in and visit with your friends... This section is for socializing and 'just for fun' type threads. Please ONLY post those threads within this section **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,354 Times in 982 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Talking Germans: Shockingly Good Shock Makers

It had been so long since I had some Bilsteins on anything I was driving, I had forgotten just how much better they are than the rest of the crap out there. Well, not all of it is crap, but there is certainly a dividing line in the damper products readily available (and affordable) to us normies - on one side of the line are the Bilsteins; on the other side is everything else.

I tried the economical route first when searching for some dampers to go with my new lowering springs (Mopar Stage 1), and that lasted all of a couple of months (Monroe Heavy Duty...HD my arse!). Then I tried going with the kind that were on it when it rolled off the assembly line (well, the Sachs version of the Mopar units anyway), and while those lasted longer and rode better, they still wore out too soon and rode too rough for my liking.

I tried to get some Bilsteins each time I had to replace those shocks/struts, but no one had any in stock to sell me...until now, that is. TireRack.com of all places had them, so I put the grab on a set, and man o' man, it's good to be home again! This is where the suspension belonged the whole time!!

I'm not ashamed to admit that I let the joy of the moment overcome me, causing me to lose control and start dancing suddenly. There is some security camera footage of the ugly incident, and I have included a snippet of it here. The sound is horrible thanks to the fan roaring in the background, but if you listen closely, you can juuust make out the lyrics** to the song that suddenly sprang from me mid-dance.

BLAMMO!!

You can never unsee that now!

A-HAHAHAHA!!!

Look on the bright side, you only have to watch that once. I'm going to put it on a loop and pipe it into every screen in the house for the wife

Nuke, OUT!!

** - the sound got dropped during one of the post-filming processing events I guess, so here is a transcript of the original lyrics:
"Bilstein, Bilstein...I love Bilsteins.
Bilstein, Bilstein...they are the best!
"

Feel free to sing along now that you know the tune I'm dancing to in the vid.

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,568 Posts
Garage
okay - no more spray painting projects in the garage on a hot day in Texas...this leads to 'unusual things'

Seriously - I've used Bilsteins for 30 years - they last a long time and they don't pound the car apart.

the mass market brands - Monroe, Gabriel are aimed at the "boulevard ride" kind of demographic that has Crown Vics and Explorers (aka: no road feel or handling).

I remember when gas charged Monroe's were a "big deal" back in the early 80s, but I was replacing worn out OEM shocks.

I remember the OEM Delco shocks on GM vehicles basically were shot by 30K!

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
okay - no more spray painting projects in the garage on a hot day in Texas...this leads to 'unusual things'

Seriously - I've used Bilsteins for 30 years - they last a long time and they don't pound the car apart.

the mass market brands - Monroe, Gabriel are aimed at the "boulevard ride" kind of demographic that has Crown Vics and Explorers (aka: no road feel or handling).

I remember when gas charged Monroe's were a "big deal" back in the early 80s, but I was replacing worn out OEM shocks.

I remember the OEM Delco shocks on GM vehicles basically were shot by 30K!
If I didn’t know any better, I’d swear you were less than impressed with my singing and dancing abilities...did I mention all of that - choreography, lyrics, etc. - was conceived and hatched ON THE FLY?!?

That’s fine, once Simon Cowell sees that video, he’ll sign me to a fat showbiz deal and make me rich!! Then you will see...then...you’ll...see...

Crap, I’m gonna need an agent! Quick, anyone know who reps Johnny Depp? I need his digits, he’d be a good fit for me I think...
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:38 PM

I always told my sons "there are cameras every where and every one hates teen age boys so watch your shit".
But I gotta admit, I love me some German engineering also!!

2019 wide body Scat
Foot print gas pedal ( just kidding)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:39 PM

Garage
I guess you can say you're pretty *shocked* at how good the Bilsteins are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:09 PM

Don't quit your day job. Glad you like your new Bilstein's!!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,756 Times in 1,887 Posts
Garage
Dodge also recognized how good Bilsteins are. That's why it chose them for the SRT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
Dodge also recognized how good Bilsteins are. That's why it chose them for the SRT.
This is great news! I now have the proof I've been looking for to refute Mrs. Nuke's claims that I do not know what I am talking about half the time.

I can't wait for the next time she lays into me with, "Yeah, right! You're a real legend in your own MIND!"

Then I'll spring into action armed with this nugget, "Is that so, then how do you explain Dodge following my own personal recommendation to use Bilsteins as the factory-installed dampers on their SRT LXs??"

Then she'll realize she's been bested (again!) by a superior intellect and acquiesce in a suitable fashion, "Okay, you win. Please take me to the bedroom and unleash upon me the superior love-making skills you so clearly posses!"

"You got it babe, but first i need to finish cleaning this bird doody off the Bacon Hauler's hood.

What?! Don't look at me like that, you know this stuff could etch the clear coat if not cleaned off in a timely manner.

Where you going?? You going to the bedroom? Okay ill be in to rock your world in a few minutes...15 or so...but no more than 30, i promise!

Babe??

Hello?"

And so goes the mating ritual of the inebriated redneck, oblivious to all that affects him, interested only in what concerns him that second in time...
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuke For This Useful Post:
Jimmy N. (05-24-2019)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,568 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
And so goes the mating ritual of the inebriated redneck, oblivious to all that affects him, interested only in what concerns him that second in time...
OCD trumped over ADD...!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
It had been so long since I had some Bilsteins on anything I was driving, I had forgotten just how much better they are than the rest of the crap out there. Well, not all of it is crap, but there is certainly a dividing line in the damper products readily available (and affordable) to us normies - on one side of the line are the Bilsteins; on the other side is everything else.

I tried the economical route first when searching for some dampers to go with my new lowering springs (Mopar Stage 1), and that lasted all of a couple of months (Monroe Heavy Duty...HD my arse!). Then I tried going with the kind that were on it when it rolled off the assembly line (well, the Sachs version of the Mopar units anyway), and while those lasted longer and rode better, they still wore out too soon and rode too rough for my liking.

I tried to get some Bilsteins each time I had to replace those shocks/struts, but no one had any in stock to sell me...until now, that is. TireRack.com of all places had them, so I put the grab on a set, and man o' man, it's good to be home again! This is where the suspension belonged the whole time!!

I'm not ashamed to admit that I let the joy of the moment overcome me, causing me to lose control and start dancing suddenly. There is some security camera footage of the ugly incident, and I have included a snippet of it here. The sound is horrible thanks to the fan roaring in the background, but if you listen closely, you can juuust make out the lyrics** to the song that suddenly sprang from me mid-dance.

Bilsteins - YouTube

BLAMMO!!

You can never unsee that now!

A-HAHAHAHA!!!

Look on the bright side, you only have to watch that once. I'm going to put it on a loop and pipe it into every screen in the house for the wife

Nuke, OUT!!

** - the sound got dropped during one of the post-filming processing events I guess, so here is a transcript of the original lyrics:
"Bilstein, Bilstein...I love Bilsteins.
Bilstein, Bilstein...they are the best!
"

Feel free to sing along now that you know the tune I'm dancing to in the vid.

Nichts zu bedanken.

Somewhere in the Sonora Desert...
2014 R/T Shaker M6 w/JBA long tubes and exhaust, Magnuson super charger, Fastman throttle body, API fuel hat, HHP custom tune - See the rest in my garage...

Wife: 2015 R/T Plus A8 jazz blue pearl w/ Super Track Pak, A/C-heated leather seats and some other cool stuff,,,
Member:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Challenger Chat Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode