Hot Dog Fans? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Challenger Chat Lounge Come on in and visit with your friends... This section is for socializing and 'just for fun' type threads. Please ONLY post those threads within this section **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:37 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My favorite are Casper's but they might be a California Bay Area thing. Nathan's are good. I did find the Kroger's Private Select beef brisket hot dogs to be really good. Boars Head and Alpine Meats are also favorites.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In order to rise from its own ashes a phoenix first must burn

2018 SXT Plus, Super Track Pack, Billet silver metallic, Nappa / Alcantara Performance Seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 08:37 PM

An old guy I used to work with and who was a butcher when he was younger use to always mumble “lips and azzholes” every time he saw someone eating a hotdog.

I haven’t been able to eat one since.

2016 SPS
2017 GT
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,607 Times in 2,736 Posts
Garage
Applegate Farms are usually highly rated. Hot dogs labeled uncured and all natural, organic, no hormones, etc. will be healthiest. As far as flavor, that may be a different matter. Frankly, a few preservatives won't dissuade me. I figure it will leave me with a better preserved corpse. I know hot dogs are allowed by law to have some...interesting ingredients. Just adds flavor Best hot dog I ever had was bright red, and had a real snap to the casing. I don't know who made it, but it was a different animal to be sure...no pun intended. A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:39 AM

Garage
My favorite hotdogs (not including all varieties of Johnsonville Brat's) is Hebrew National. Have to be cook on a stick, over a real wood fire (no gas or charcoal).

And if you're a hotdog fan (you're apparently ok with everything that goes in them), try thick-cut Bologna (any brand, whatever you'r favorite is). Have it cut about 3/8 inch thick at the deli. Score the surface, and throw it on the grill with the hamburgers.

K-DAWG
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
My favorite hotdogs (not including all varieties of Johnsonville Brat's) is Hebrew National. Have to be cook on a stick, over a real wood fire (no gas or charcoal).

And if you're a hotdog fan (you're apparently ok with everything that goes in them), try thick-cut Bologna (any brand, whatever you'r favorite is). Have it cut about 3/8 inch thick at the deli. Score the surface, and throw it on the grill with the hamburgers.
There is a small town in the thumb area of Michigan called Yale. Every summer they have the Yale Bologna festival as the town was known for its meat plant that made such stuff. They always have the food tent that grilles thick cut slices of bologna and also grilles half sections of ring bologna that they put on a stick. Good stuff!
As far as hot dogs go one other brand that is really good are Koegles, not sure if I spelled that right. They are famous for being the preferred hot dog for the coney islands that usually use the ones with casings but also come without the skin. They have that great snap when you bite them and also taste great.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.J.Sakuma View Post
As I got older, I'm willing to spend more on quality. Quality of food for example.

Many years ago, I decided to try Nathan's hot dogs. It was great. I don't mind paying $4.89 for a pack of 8. I can get Bar S brand for $0.99.

Sometimes I would catch them on sale for $3.69 for example. I may stock up with a few packs.

Now I see them selling at $2.89 regular price at Walmart. Not on sale, but regular price.

So what did they take out in terms of quality? Food prices normally goes up, correct?
I would recommend trying the Vienna beef hotdogs. They are all beef, seasoned well and have that nice snap when you bite into them. The company has been making them for over a hundred years. The brand is pretty famous in the midwest and the dog is the key ingredient in a Chicago style hot dog. They are delish! Just don't put ketchup on it

Chicago Style Hot Dogs - Hot Dogs Chicago | Vienna Beef

2010 PCP Dodge Challenger RT Classic -TRADED
2014 Torred Dodge Challenger RT Shaker #1253 -GONE

2018 Torred SRT Challenger Hellcat
this should be it for a while...

"Beyond the Palace, Hemi powered drones scream down the boulevard......"

Last edited by PurpleHaze; 05-21-2018 at 09:59 AM.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:22 AM

They need the "Snap"...

2015 SRT 392, A8, Sepia Laguna Leather
11.910 @ 113.89...1.698 60'...Sonoma Raceway - 30Mar19
____________________________________________________________ _________

It's all right letting yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back
- Mick Jagger
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 03:23 PM

Garage
This has been a surprisingly interesting thread so far. I've had a difficult time finding really good hot dogs over the last few years. Some of the best ones I've ever had were from a locally owned grocery place in the '90s that is no longer around. I can't remember the brand, but they came in long strings with the packaging twisted together and they were amazing. Can't find them like that anymore. The closest I've found are CO-OP Centsibles and even they aren't quite as good. So I'll keep my eyes open for some of the ones you guys have suggested, if they're available in my area.

If/when I make a trip to the States, I will definitely make it my goal to try different hot dogs along the way.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 04:23 PM

I was going to stay out of this - so much depends on personal taste and preference - but what the heck

one of the best wurst makers around is Fred Usingers in Milwaukee https://www.usinger.com/ give them a try and of course have a good beer with it
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Ars

Jordan's Red Hots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Challenger Chat Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode