MPGs from MDS - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Challenger Chat Lounge Come on in and visit with your friends... This section is for socializing and 'just for fun' type threads. Please ONLY post those threads within this section **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,338 Times in 971 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Question MPGs from MDS

I just made a 6 hour drive with the MDS disabled on my 5.7L, and I was surprised to see that I averaged 25 MPG (rounded down; something like 25.3 actual).

I am surprised because back when I had the MDS enabled, the best I could do on the highway was 28 MPG (rounded up; something like 27.6 or 27.8 actual).

It surprised me that the MDS technology, for all its innovation and efficacy in general, is only giving me 3 extra MPGs on the highway. (I don't remember my MPG average for city driving with MDS, but city MPGs without MDS is averaging 19 MPGs.)

It may have been unrealistic, but I honestly thought the MDS system was supposed to give these cars more of a MPG boost. I don't know what I thought that increase was, but I probably have been assuming something like 5-6 extra MPGs on the highway and 3-4 in the city. Obviously that is not the case, for me and my car anyway...so I will definitely be leaving it disabled going forward. I see no reason to enable it as of this time, that's for sure.

Anyone else share my unrealistic assumptions about MDS' benefits, or were y'all all already hip to its real contributions, meager as they are?

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
We all bought V8's to run on 4 cylinders, yeah that's it!

2016 SRT 392, A8, Granite Crystal.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,338 Times in 971 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawls View Post
We all bought V8's to run on 4 cylinders, yeah that's it!
But if it is operating on only 4 cylinders, would it be fair to call it a Semi Hemi??
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuke For This Useful Post:
72/340 (04-09-2019)
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Nah, I think its a Chevy now.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:50 AM

Garage
By observation using an OBD2 code reader/data viewer and monitoring engine load and over a number of vehicles its takes around 45hp to move a car down the highway at 65mph.

A 400hp V8 -- such as was in my 2006 Pontiac GTO this 45hp represents a bit over a 10% load. At 10% load the engine is not working very hard to begin with. As a result gas mileage with that car was rather good at 65mph as long as I behaved myself.

The same was true with other cars with engines from 1.9l, 2.0l, 2.7l, 3.6l, 6.0l, 6.4l and 6.2l in displacement.

Actually in the case of the 1.9l engine this was a turbocharged direct injection diesel engine in my VW Golf. At 65mph its load was nearly 50% because the engine's HP rating was just 90hp. But because it was a turbo charged direct injection diesel fuel consumption was light. Over 150K miles the engine averaged better than 40mpg.

The 2.0l engine is in my 2018 Mini JCW. It is a turbo charged engine producing 228hp. At 65mph its fuel consumption is quite low. With my normal usage the engine delivers 30mpg. I have not had time to take it on a long road trip to see what it can do at steady highway speeds but I suspect fuel consumption would be even less, above 30mpg. My Boxster (2.7l engine) on the highway would average around 28mpg. When driven like I drive my JCW this would drop to around 20mpg.

My point is whether all 8 cylinders are firing or just 4 the engine is having to produce the same amount of power to move the car down the road. There is some efficiency in that the "half an engine" is under a higher load at a rather low RPM which results in a wider opened throttle. This reduces pumping losses which improves gas mileage some. Because the throttle is opne more the engine is getting more air into its cylinders the cylinder filling is better. This requires more fuel but the engine controller can use more timing advance and this can really improve gas mileage.

I recall with my GTO in 6th gear engine RPMs were quite low, well, at legal speeds at any rate. Timing observed using the OBD2 code reader/data viewer -- was quite high, in the 35 degrees area. Instantaneous fuel economy was around 30mpg.

And yeah, any increase in throttle had this drop quite a bit. But the point is operating the engine at low RPMs with a bigger throttle opening was the engine's sweet spot when it came to fuel economy.

Well, that is what MDS offers one. It forces the engine to a high load, wider throttle open position, with better cylinder filling operating mode and the ability to use more timing to wring as much mechanical energy from the chemical energy of the burning gasoline as possible.

The deactivated cylinders still represent some loss due to friction but the active cylinders are operating in a much more efficient fashion.

Given how much fleet fuel mileage matters nowadays just a few MPGs improvement over a sub set of the vehicles offered by an automaker is important. In this context, a 3mpg improvement ain't nothing to sneeze at.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:31 AM

I've turned mine on and off over the last 9 years and 148k. I've tried it with all three grades of gas. I've tried it with the stock tune, 91 CAI tune, and 93 CAI tune. It all figures out to roughly 30 miles per tank farther driving with the MDS on. For those inquiring minds.... the 91 CAI tune with 93 gas, no MDS is the most fun.

'10 Challenger R/T Classic
Flowmaster Force II cat back, K&N branded CAI with Amsoil dry synthetic filter, Diablo Predator 91 CAI tune,
Mopar '11+ IAT sensor, Mopar hood struts, RPI stealth guards, R/T spoiler emblem

The Following User Says Thank You to 72/340 For This Useful Post:
ChallyTatum (04-09-2019)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
So that is about a 1.5 MPG improvement. I think FCA claimed anywhere from 10-20% improvement in MPG.

I know all car manufacturers use DFCO which leads to MPG improvement of ~2%.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 04-09-2019 at 10:19 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
But if it is operating on only 4 cylinders, would it be fair to call it a Semi Hemi??
Well...you know what they say about folks not operating on all cylinders.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
72/340 (04-09-2019)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
I just made a 6 hour drive with the MDS disabled on my 5.7L, and I was surprised to see that I averaged 25 MPG (rounded down; something like 25.3 actual).

I am surprised because back when I had the MDS enabled, the best I could do on the highway was 28 MPG (rounded up; something like 27.6 or 27.8 actual).

It surprised me that the MDS technology, for all its innovation and efficacy in general, is only giving me 3 extra MPGs on the highway. (I don't remember my MPG average for city driving with MDS, but city MPGs without MDS is averaging 19 MPGs.)

It may have been unrealistic, but I honestly thought the MDS system was supposed to give these cars more of a MPG boost. I don't know what I thought that increase was, but I probably have been assuming something like 5-6 extra MPGs on the highway and 3-4 in the city. Obviously that is not the case, for me and my car anyway...so I will definitely be leaving it disabled going forward. I see no reason to enable it as of this time, that's for sure.

Anyone else share my unrealistic assumptions about MDS' benefits, or were y'all all already hip to its real contributions, meager as they are?
Not sure what kind of drive you did, but the most I can muster on the same road, going 65mph with MDS on/off is 32/25.

Unless you have the self control of a saint (I don't), your trip MPGs will never be the same regardless of what settings you have on and off.

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:24 PM

Garage
Since my Shaker has the six speed in it, it doesn't suffer from mad dog syndrome like the autos do. What I've found is that certain performance mods help to increase gas mileage. On my last trip to the Dallas area from here I got 29 mpg on the freeway, but that was before I added the supercharger, and with a custom tune and a full performance exhaust system. Later this year I may make the trip again, and then I'll find out how much my additional mods have affected the mileage. Other than that, I don't much care one way or the other...

Somewhere in the Sonora Desert...
2014 R/T Shaker M6 w/JBA long tubes and exhaust, Magnuson super charger, Fastman throttle body, API fuel hat, HHP custom tune - See the rest in my garage...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife: 2015 R/T Plus A8 jazz blue pearl w/ Super Track Pak, A/C-heated leather seats and some other cool stuff,,,
Member:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Challenger Chat Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode