Nuke Eats Some Crow - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Challenger Chat Lounge Come on in and visit with your friends... This section is for socializing and 'just for fun' type threads. Please ONLY post those threads within this section **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,363 Times in 988 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Nuke Eats Some Crow

Alright, alright...never let it be said that I'm not a man of my word. Lots of people kept telling me the problem with my Challenger was the aftermarket alternator I was using, and I refused to believe them. Further, I said if it turned out to be the case, I would eat a generous helping of crow. Well, it turned out to be the case, and even though it still doesn't make sense and I believe Dodge is doing to us with our alternators what the printer companies are doing to us with their branded ink jet cartridges, I'm here to eat some crow.

So, for all those that have been waiting for this, here you go:

Y'all were right, and I was wrong.

Y'all are smart, I am dumb.

Y'all know everything, I know nothing.

Y'all are handsome and virile, I am ugly and impotent.

There, are you happy now?!?!

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
...the problem with my Challenger was the aftermarket alternator I was using...
You asked if we were happy now. Hmmm. For me, there's just one thing missing. I wasn't following your alternator thread: this is the first I heard of it. What happened? Maybe throw a link in this new thread?

Gary
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyahouse View Post
You asked if we were happy now. Hmmm. For me, there's just one thing missing. I wasn't following your alternator thread: this is the first I heard of it. What happened? Maybe throw a link in this new thread?

Gary
I've been having strange electrical issues for 6 months or more now, and none of it made any sense. I used Dodge's own service manual to troubleshoot and that pointed to the voltage regulator in the PCM. However, I couldn't take it beyond that due to a lack of specialized tools. It finally came to a head when the charging system completely broke down and I took it to the Dodge house. $775 and a new Mopar alternator later, the car runs. So I will have to say that fixed it, though I remain unconvinced they didn't pull a HP printer cartridge trick on me, but nonetheless, I have my car back and it runs, so....

Anyway, lots of folks along the way kept saying the same thing - aftermarket alternators don't work on these cars. Putting aside the obvious non-sensical-ness of that statement, I dismissed them as Dodge shills. It would seem I no longer have that to hide to behind, so I created this thread as a way to apologize.
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I've been having strange electrical issues for 6 months or more now, and none of it made any sense. I used Dodge's own service manual to troubleshoot and that pointed to the voltage regulator in the PCM. However, I couldn't take it beyond that due to a lack of specialized tools. It finally came to a head when the charging system completely broke down and I took it to the Dodge house. $775 and a new Mopar alternator later, the car runs. So I will have to say that fixed it, though I remain unconvinced they didn't pull a HP printer cartridge trick on me, but nonetheless, I have my car back and it runs, so....

Anyway, lots of folks along the way kept saying the same thing - aftermarket alternators don't work on these cars. Putting aside the obvious non-sensical-ness of that statement, I dismissed them as Dodge shills. It would seem I no longer have that to hide to behind, so I created this thread as a way to apologize.
Thanks for the feedback. You said "new Mopar alternator;" just wondering what those rascals cost? Am I to understand, based on your experience here, that your issues were a result of putting an aftermarket alternator in the car? I'm guessing that it was indeed charging, or you would have replaced it long ago. Is this a dealer only type of repair? This is typically something I'd do myself. Just curious.

I'd like to read your alternator thread. Need a linkie.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:54 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Although your alternator failed, your integrity and dedication to being honorable is completely intact. You are hereby deemed to be a man of your word.

Mike
(Fyrdude)

2015 SRT 392 6 speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to fyrdude For This Useful Post:
Nuke (12-08-2017)
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. You said "new Mopar alternator;" just wondering what those rascals cost?
$400 for the alternator (unknown brand, probably Remy-Delphi?), $375 to put it on. I would normally have put it on myself, but I honestly didn't expect it to fix my problem, so I want them to do the install to eliminate any doubt the problem was due to something I had done.

Quote:
Am I to understand, based on your experience here, that your issues were a result of putting an aftermarket alternator in the car? I'm guessing that it was indeed charging, or you would have replaced it long ago. Is this a dealer only type of repair? This is typically something I'd do myself. Just curious.
About 2 years ago, my OE alternator went teets up (bearings on the pulley), and I replaced it with a reman unit from O'Reillys. That worked until about 6 months when I started to get intermittent faults on the charging system. I could always clear the faults myself, but they started getting more and more common until it faulted on me one morning and wouldn't go away. I replaced that alternator with another 'new' reman unit and replaced the battery at the same time. That had no effect. So I took it to the dodge house and they just replaced the alternator with a new OEM unit.

So whatever the problem was with the original reman unit, it didn't show up until after 18 months. Then upon replacement with a fresh reman unit, that new one had exactly the same problem as the previous one. Seems rather unlikely, but hey, who am I to argue.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,362 Times in 2,571 Posts
Garage
Nuke,

was it a "house brand" reman unit?

or a no-name brand new unit?

for your year / application I find new & reman [Remy, ACDelco and then some reman Denso (OEM) and some off brands I'm not familiar]

prices for new are ~ 20% higher than the remans.

On the newer years, its mostly reman, but stock appears to be short on those...

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
Nuke,

was it a "house brand" reman unit?

or a no-name brand new unit?

for your year / application I find new & reman [Remy, ACDelco and then some reman Denso (OEM) and some off brands I'm not familiar]

prices for new are ~ 20% higher than the remans.

On the newer years, its mostly reman, but stock appears to be short on those...
you're falling into the same trap as everyone else. let me paint you a different picture:

the reman unit worked just fine until I took it in for the airbag replacement, then magically i started having problems.

sounds suspiciously like when my HP printer stopped accepting non-HP ink. non-HP ink worked until I installed an unrelated update, then non-HP ink stopped working.

coincidence??? I THINK NOT!!!
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 02:19 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
you're falling into the same trap as everyone else. let me paint you a different picture:

the reman unit worked just fine until I took it in for the airbag replacement, then magically i started having problems.

sounds suspiciously like when my HP printer stopped accepting non-HP ink. non-HP ink worked until I installed an unrelated update, then non-HP ink stopped working.

coincidence??? I THINK NOT!!!

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off Topic Section > Challenger Chat Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode