Is it True that Challengers... - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Challenger Chat Lounge Come on in and visit with your friends... This section is for socializing and 'just for fun' type threads. Please ONLY post those threads within this section **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:22 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorRed Jim View Post
Maybe it was referring to the driver......
Dang, Jim, I never thought of that. They are called Vanity plates because of the vanity of the person who buys them, and often as not, it's something related to their profession, or hobby or some stuff like that.....but most of the vanity plate discussions here revolve around plates that apply to the car....so I just assumed........

According to most estimates, there have been between 600 million and 750 million people born in what is now the U.S.A. (since 1776). Why would someone create a vanity plate that basically draws attention to the fact that he/she is simply part of a very large historical group or people who were USA-MADE. Also, if this was the intention, I'd expect that it would say USA-BORN.

I'm going back to my original assumption. Dude/chick ( I couldn't tell, even when I was looking right at him/her....so I won't pass judgement), was driving a bright yellow 15+ SXT Challenger and sincerely thought he/she was driving and car "Made in the USA".

Either that or the plate was transferred from their previous Honda Accord which truly was made in the USA.

K-DAWG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:24 PM

My Buick GN was made in America but had a lot of foreign electronics from Japan. Also some from China. It was labeled as "American Muscle" also.

Past cars
1969 Roadrunner
1969 A-12 SuperBee 440x6
2009 Challenger SE
2009 R/T
2013 R/T Redline
2016 SPS GoMango..Enjoying now!!!
2019 Ram Laramie Sport...
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,580 Times in 2,716 Posts
Garage
If it had been Japanese but looked, drove, performed like my Challenger, I'd have bought it. Never owned a car from a foreign company, but certainly not expecting an American brand to have all American made parts either. A muscle car from an American company is an American Muscle car though. Content is right there on the Window Sticker

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	936803

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
McCloud (01-04-2019)
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:31 AM

Garage
For me, the main feature is where it's assembled. Who are the workers doing "Most" of the work to build the vehicle. Even if some of the major components come from other places, as long as it's assembled in U.S., or (Canada or Mexico....defacto U.S. territories), I'm ok with with it.

If the VIN first character is 1, 4, 5...it's assembled in the U.S. 2 for Canada, 3 for Mexico.

If I see any other character than those 5, I'll not touch the vehicle. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:32 AM

One of the main reason we bought the 2018 RT+ (we're too young for a Lexus) was that it sits on a Mercedes chassis. The Mustang and Camaro sit too low and yes we can put the grandson in the back seat reasonably well. FIAT I'm sure will have a tough time following this design. Long story short - I totaled the wife's first TA and I walked away from it - Trust me I'm glad for the German influence.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 AM

Jag and Land Rover are now Indian (Tata) . . . and we buy Toyotas that are reliable instead ;-)

Bug ger! Where did the other four pages come from? Now I look daft, replying to the first page ;-)

Atlantic Time difference! That's the reason ;-)
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
Why would someone create a vanity plate that basically draws attention to the fact that he/she is simply part of a very large historical group or people who were USA-MADE. Also, if this was the intention, I'd expect that it would say USA-BORN.
USA-MADE can take as little as a couple of minutes while USA-BORN takes 9 months...... Or does USA-MADE take 9 months and USA-BORN just a few hours (give or take). Who knows ?? Maybe they should have just put "USA-NATIVE".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Challenger Chat Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode