FCA defects responsibility - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
FCA defects responsibility

I know it's a bad reminder of a litigious society, but has anybody thought about a class-action Lawsuit against FCA for the basic design defects in the 6.4L/392? For example, the defective lifter design that just ate my 2012 392 at
77000 miles? There is no legitimate reason for such a basic engineering flaw. Considering how expensive it is to repair this with having to dismantle the front of the car (Challenger) and stripping the engine down to the short block, they should have to pay for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,292 Times in 2,517 Posts
Garage
This reminds me of the timing chain guide problem (and breaking timing chains) that affected the '09 - '13 and some '14 5.7 & A5 engines in Challengers.

There was a filing made with NHTSA about the incidences of this, citing that chains could break down on the road, creating a safety hazard.

FCA took notice and came out with a service campaign.

So for there's not been that many instances - I recall about 3 - 4 (to date) on the forum. They've involved 6.1 SRT engines and the 392 / 6.4 SRT engine as well.

The needle bearings in the roller lifter appear the failure item. This lifter is used on 5.7 / 6.1 / 6.4 engines (same part #). So its spanned multiple years.

There may have been bad batches from the supplier - there's millions on these engines (Jeeps and Ram trucks use the 5.7 and the 6.4 BGE) and I've heard of this occurring at times on high mileage Rams, but more the exception than typical...[Eberspacher is the supplier of the lifters...]

With the 392 engine being more recent in production, I don't if its a matter of time when they get more miles on them and if this turns up more frequently.

If more claims turn up, FCA might take action on this.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:11 PM

Garage
Hope you have good service records, if you're just out of warranty they *might* be nice and agree to pay for repairs. Even if it's half, it helps.

By the way, don't you think you should introduce yourself and/or maybe tell a more in-depth story first? If this is your first post on here, well no offense but it looks like you just joined to complain.

Welcome to Challengertalk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank for elaborating on that. I suspected a flaw in the roller design/materials, but didn't know specifics. 77000 miles is far too low for a failure of this kind, whether bad design or manufacturing. In any case, several enquiries into the local CJD shop have gotten no reponse to this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 05:14 PM

Thanked 1,105 Times in 792 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I’ve read about plenty of lifter issues with 5.7 motors, more on ths forum than the other motors IMO. Especially lots of excessive ticking sound issues. I have not had a lifter-related problem with any of the three SRT Hemis I have owned, although I occasionally hear ticking cycles from my car, sometimes while hot idling or a hot restart, but it’s never a long lasting thing and it’s not frequent. I also will get occasional ticking on a cold start, but it goes away quick, all three of my motors have done that. Cold start sounds for V8s are not unusual IMO.

While you do read about failures and issues online, I have never met someone in person with a lifter-related failure, and I meet a lot of modern Mopar owners. I think these modern Hemis are actually quite robust and reliable for the high hp/tQ motors they are and stack up fairly well compared to the competition when it comes to reliability issues.

Now: '15 R/T Scat Pack A8 Pitch Black, Appearance Group, Leather, SG II [email protected] DA 6500([email protected] corrected)
-catch can, Hellcat airbox/filter, 180 tstat, Opti-Coat Pro+, ceramic tint, clear bra...and some other crap too
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Former: '12 Challenger SRT8 Pitch Black 6-speed, stripe delete [email protected] DA 7100(
corrected)
Former: '06 300C SRT8
(DA -700)

Last edited by EricG; 01-07-2019 at 09:37 AM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 05:16 PM

Thanked 1,105 Times in 792 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_70Clone View Post
Thank for elaborating on that. I suspected a flaw in the roller design/materials, but didn't know specifics. 77000 miles is far too low for a failure of this kind, whether bad design or manufacturing. In any case, several enquiries into the local CJD shop have gotten no reponse to this.
If you have a used car without a warranty it doesn’t surprise me that they are only willing to diagnose, not offer an explanation of where your car has been and what has been done to it...

Did you buy your car new or used?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
If you have a used car without a warranty it doesn’t surprise me that they are only willing to diagnose, not offer an explanation of where your car has been and what has been done to it...

Did you buy your car new or used?
EricG-You're quite right. I've owned this car since new in 2012 and it's been driven, but not abused. Warranty long since expired. The CDJ "web rep." has asked a couple of times if any of the service reps have contacted me (Kirkland, WA), and none have so far.
I've owned/driven/worked on many A, LA, B, and RBs over the years, but this was my first Gen III Hemi. The joke
in the old days was that Chrysler quality control was iffy for body/interior fit and finish, but the drivetrains were bulletproof. Things change. I plan to retain the damaged parts for future response to FCA if the opportunity arises.
And I still want to keep the car, as it's a good one-especially after the current "investment" in its repair.

2012 Challenger SRT392.
1996 Dodge Dakota
1970 Charger
1967 Coronet R/T
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:05 AM

Likewise, I have a 2012 Challenger SRT8 Yellow Jacket, but with 34,000 miles. Auto trans, I purchased with 31,000 in Dec last year. I've been quoted 3,700 to fix as a lifter in cyl 3 fashioned and chewed up the CAM.

FCA is not willing to help as I don't have enough good faith credit because the car was not serviced at a dealer. Even though I've purchased 3 other Dodge/ Chrysler vehicles in the past 10 yrs.

2 Magnums and a Minivan, lol...

And from what I've been reading this seems to be very common on the auto transmission cars with MDS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to wgeiger72 For This Useful Post:
Beachlovers2 (04-11-2019)
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,292 Times in 2,517 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeiger72 View Post
Likewise, I have a 2012 Challenger SRT8 Yellow Jacket, but with 34,000 miles. Auto trans, I purchased with 31,000 in Dec last year. I've been quoted 3,700 to fix as a lifter in cyl 3 fashioned and chewed up the CAM.

FCA is not willing to help as I don't have enough good faith credit because the car was not serviced at a dealer. Even though I've purchased 3 other Dodge/ Chrysler vehicles in the past 10 yrs.

2 Magnums and a Minivan, lol...

And from what I've been reading this seems to be very common on the auto transmission cars with MDS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Did you buy this through a CDJR dealer as a used vehicle? Often the pre owned FCA brands have a certified / pre-owned program with some warranty.

Since you've only put 3K on it over the past 3 months...that cam issue didn't happen suddenly. It had been going on for a time.

You may have recourse or goodwill adjustment if the sale wasn't "as-is" terms.

If this was through another dealership, perhaps not a CPO, but you could ask.

After all, you didn't own the vehicle for the first 6 years, 31k...
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:07 AM

Wow I did not know they wee the same as in the 5.7l too.. I thought I Dodged a bullet in my 2015 R/T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode