FCA defects responsibility - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,313 Times in 953 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
odds are the 'Hauler had hundreds of hours of idling time and probably had conventional oil used and that engine has the equivalent of 200K+ on it with all the idling hours plus however it was used in service
I don't remember the exact numbers, but I believe it was something like 12K hours run time when I got the car and half of those were spent idling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
I have an idea how
I'll have you know that NONE of my burn-outs were done as part of a donut or series of donuts. Every single one of them was done in a straight line or not at all!

Quote:
then there's the driving over curbs, medians...
Beatniks and hipsters can be pretty erratic when they're surprised or spooked and scatter in all directions They are just as likely to take off running through a field as they are through a parking lot. Either way though, it is up to the pursuit vehicle to follow...whether that be through mud or over a series of parking blocks, no matter.

One thing must always be remembered: Beatniks and hipsters are dangerous creatures and must be locked up, both for their own good and ours!

Quote:
most any PD fleet / motor pool manager I've talked to commented on how rough the LEOs are on the vehicles
I had a cop needling me recently after he came upon me sitting in a church parking lot at midnight one night where I was waiting for Mrs. Nuke to bring me some tools so I could get back running. He told me he wasn't surprised my Charger was broke down because every one of the Pursuit Chargers they had in training broke down on them.

That was quite possibly the LEAST helpful comment anyone has ever made to me about the vehicle I was driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshane72 View Post
I have the A5......I still have the original window sticker and it says I have a 3:08 gear in the back....So i go to Dodge.com for recall information? I'll check it out. Thanks Nuke for the info....
On the surface, I would say yours is possibly one of the ones under recall for the timing chain. Check it out here to be sure though: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuke For This Useful Post:
Tshane72 (04-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:00 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
I'll have you know that NONE of my burn-outs were done as part of a donut or series of donuts. Every single one of them was done in a straight line or not at all!
Good thing I glazed over your response, I believe the maneuver you describe is called a Long John.

BTW I think I saw you on your way to work this morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
The Following User Says Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
Nuke (04-12-2019)
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:45 PM

Well I used that website with my VIN and only 2 things came up...the alternator recall, whitch I already did...and the airbag recall..it says parts are available so I guess I'll try to get that scheduled.

And that was it..nothing about the timing chain. My car was built in April of 2013 so I guess by then they had corrected the defect on the factory line?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Living my life....one quarter mile at a time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Well I used that website with my VIN and only 2 things came up...the alternator recall, whitch I already did...and the airbag recall..it says parts are available so I guess I'll try to get that scheduled.
If the alternator recall has already been done, it should not show up on the report still. Did you have the service performed at a Dodge dealership service department? If so, you should call them and let them know some recall work is still showing on your car's report so they can correct it.

It if was not done by a dealership service department, I believe you can submit a request to be reimbursed for the amount you paid (or up to some amount of the bill) to get the recall item replaced. Check that recall page on the dodge site for more details on that.

Quote:
And that was it..nothing about the timing chain. My car was built in April of 2013 so I guess by then they had corrected the defect on the factory line?
It sounds like they did have it figured out by then.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:55 PM

Well it listed the recalls for my car, and it listed a status for each one. For the alternator it said it was completed along with the date, whitch was 20 July 2017, and that is correct. I had it done here at my local Dodge Stealership. Then it had a incomplete for the airbag so I guess now it lists all the recalls and a status if they were done or not. Maybe they changed it since the last time you were on the website Nuke? Anyway I am so relieved about the timing chain...I was afraid I had a ticking time bomb about to go off...literally..
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Well it listed the recalls for my car, and it listed a status for each one. For the alternator it said it was completed along with the date, whitch was 20 July 2017, and that is correct. I had it done here at my local Dodge Stealership. Then it had a incomplete for the airbag so I guess now it lists all the recalls and a status if they were done or not. Maybe they changed it since the last time you were on the website Nuke? Anyway I am so relieved about the timing chain...I was afraid I had a ticking time bomb about to go off...literally..
No, that's fine, I was thinking of a different report where it only listed the ones that were outstanding. As long as the status of the particular recall is correct, you're good to go!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuke For This Useful Post:
Tshane72 (04-12-2019)
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeiger72 View Post
Likewise, I have a 2012 Challenger SRT8 Yellow Jacket, but with 34,000 miles. Auto trans, I purchased with 31,000 in Dec last year. I've been quoted 3,700 to fix as a lifter in cyl 3 fashioned and chewed up the CAM.

FCA is not willing to help as I don't have enough good faith credit because the car was not serviced at a dealer. Even though I've purchased 3 other Dodge/ Chrysler vehicles in the past 10 yrs.

2 Magnums and a Minivan, lol...

And from what I've been reading this seems to be very common on the auto transmission cars with MDS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes; FCA is pretty much "radio silent" on this one. It's a bad lifter design in terms of materials and manufacturing.
I have a 6 Spd-Non MDS version, so it's not especially due to the auto/manual choice. The Magnum LA engines had a superior design but it was changed, probably for cost reasons. Change you oil Often, and hope for the best.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_70Clone View Post
Yes; FCA is pretty much "radio silent" on this one. It's a bad lifter design in terms of materials and manufacturing.
I have a 6 Spd-Non MDS version, so it's not especially due to the auto/manual choice. The Magnum LA engines had a superior design but it was changed, probably for cost reasons. Change you oil Often, and hope for the best.
I really hate how FCA can't own up to this particular failure, since it's absolutely catastrophic and not just a 'replacement'.

Cars:

Bright White 2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker A8. Mods: SRT Steering Wheel Swap, Petty's Strut Tower Brace, BT Catch Can, Custom Stripes, 20% Window Tints, Tinted Tail Reflectors and Side Markers

Titanium 2010 Challenger SE. Mods: JBA Headers, K&N CAI, Ported Throttle Body, Magnaflow Cat Back, DS 91 Octane Tune - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode