BurnBox or TranZformer? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
BurnBox or TranZformer?

I just got my '08 SRT8 last year and have been wondering what kinds of firmware upgrades or such I might be able to do. I do not believe anything at all has been done to it and it is still fully stock.

I've read things here and there on the Forum about Tazer but of course for more recent Challengers. I contacted the manufacturer and they have informed me that if I use a generation one, I could still use Burn Box or TranZformer from them.

Does anybody here have experience using either of these products on a 2008 to 2010 SRT8 that could give me an idea of what specifically they might add as far as functionality or features?

Also, which do you think is the most worthy one to purchase?

I'm assuming that at one point they also had the Tazer available for my year but do not any longer since they did not mention it.

https://zautomotive.com/

2008 Challenger SRT8
First Edition 1101-6400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Matte Grey Paint Job

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black Tinted Marker's & Tailight

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,931 Posts
Garage
BurnBox Gen 1 (6.1L support). Only Line Lock, Light Show, and Cooldown

Tranzformer Gen 1 (6.1L support). Many more options

No Tazer support for the 6.1L

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
BurnBox Gen 1 (6.1L support). Only Line Lock, Light Show, and Cooldown

Tranzformer Gen 1 (6.1L support). Many more options

No Tazer support for the 6.1L

A Guy
Thanks,

The BurnBox is attractive that it is a plug in. I'm not real fond tapping into other wiring such as the TranZformer uses. It would be great if it had a hookup (s) available that would plug in between the necessary harnesses instead.

I wasn't sure if all the options they have listed for the TranZformer were applicable to my 6.1.

Looks like the BurnBox will do the light shows and Cool down, which the TranZformer does not.

From their site:
For Firmware Version 1.4.2-032715
The TranZformer Shift Kit is an electronic shift enhancer for Dodge/Chrysler LX/LC vehicles. The TranZformer serves
several functions:
- User adjustable shift firmness for each gear in Drive and AutoStick independently, a user adjustable throttle-
based scaling function. Adjustments can be made using Z Automotive Programming Utility (ZPU) for
Windows PCs, connected to the TranZformer via USB. Shift kit parameters can also be set using steering
wheel buttons on-the-fly.
- AutoUpshift – TranZformer will Upshift vehicle in AutoStick at a user-defined RPM trip point. Can be set
using ZPU or via steering wheel buttons on-the-fly.
- Steering Wheel Shifting – Driver can manually shift through gears using steering wheel volume buttons.
- Line Lock Mode – Uses ABS solenoids to lock front brakes for standing burnouts
- Burnout Mode– Uses ABS pump to lock the front wheels for super easy standing burnouts
- Launch Mode– Uses ABS solenoids to lock the all four wheels for precise launches
- Transmission Temperature Display – Displays transmission temperature on EVIC display/gauges
- Transmission Status Display – Displays current gear and torque converter clutch status on EVIC display
- Peak RPM Display – Displays actual peak recorded actual shift RPM at every shift when in this mode
- 0 to 30 and 0 to 60 Timers – Displays 0-30 or 0-60 times on EVIC display
- 1/8 Mile and 1/4 Mile Timers – Displays 1/8 and 1/8 mile times on EVIC display
- ESP re-enable – ESP reset on the fly for R/T’s with NoESP or “key trick” ESP disable
- Reset Adaptives – Reset TCM learned shift adaptives on-the-fly
- Kill Adaptives Mode – Keeps adaptives from learning driving habits and keeps the transmission responsive
- Clear CELs – Clear the check engine light and reset all codes without a scan tool!
- MDS indicator – turn this on if you have MDS and want to have an indication of when it’s active
- Auxiliary Output – Use this output to control an external device using steering wheel controls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashoka View Post
- Auxiliary Output – Use this output to control an external device using steering wheel controls
Hmmm,

I might be able to use that feature as another method of controlling my noweeds exhaust cutouts that I should be installing soon.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I could still use Burn Box or TranZformer from them.

Does anybody here have experience using either of these products on a 2008 to 2010 SRT8 that could give me an idea of what specifically they might add as far as functionality or features?

https://zautomotive.com/
Anyone else with direct experience on these two items?

Still trying to decide if the TranZformer is the way to go.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Anyone else with direct experience on these two items?

Still trying to decide if the TranZformer is the way to go.
I use the Burnbox for the line lock feature. I don't care about any of the other stuff these things can do.

Somewhere in the Sonora Desert...
2014 R/T Shaker M6 w/JBA long tubes and exhaust, Magnuson super charger, Fastman throttle body, Fore Innovations dual pump, HHP custom tune - See the rest in my garage...

Wife: 2015 R/T Plus A8 jazz blue pearl w/ Super Track Pak, A/C-heated leather seats and some other cool stuff,,,
Member:

The Following User Says Thank You to Gila Hemi For This Useful Post:
Jack44 (07-07-2019)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
TranZformer!

My mind was made up for me on this. I came across a Transformer Generation 1 that had been installed on a 2009 SRT8 on eBay and scored it for $75. Can't wait to see what else it will allow me to do!

I will ask, what is the difference between line lock and burnout mode? They both sound like they do the same thing but in a slightly different way. Is there a reason to use one over the other for certain situations?

Line Lock Mode: Push the cruise control stalk while stopped in Autostick, and the ABS internal valves will hold the vehicle with the front brakes so you can hit the gas and do a perfect burnout. The vehicle will not roll until you let go of the cruise stalk. Great for the track or just for fun.

Burnout Mode: Pull the cruise control stalk while stopped in Autostick, and the ABS pump will hold the vehicle with the front brakes so you can hit the gas and do a perfect burnout without even having to pump brake up first.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,931 Posts
Garage
Mode Action Comments

Line Lock Mode - Push cruise stalk forward while in AutoStick 1 and car stopped. - “LineLock” will show on EVIC. Press and release brake pedal for holding power. Release stalk to take off.

Burnout Mode - Pull cruise stalk (down in 2007+) while in AutoStick 1 and car stopped. - “Burnout” will show on EVIC. ABS pump will turn on. Release brakes. Release stalk or break traction to take off.

The developer calls the Line Lock Mode a real, burn till they're gone mode

A Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.1L (2008 - 2010)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in