RIPP Performance Coil Packs - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Bolt On's Anything related to the quick Bolt-On mods. This includes cams, heads, catch cans, shifters, T-stats, coils, injectors, strut braces, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
RIPP Performance Coil Packs

I haven't seen many posts about this. Is it worth the install? For anyone who has done this, any noticeable differences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:01 AM

Thanked 4,299 Times in 2,682 Posts
Garage
Save your money. Numerous members race with stock coils.

There's always a few who will spend the money to get every 1/1000th second to reduce track times. Driver reactions will gain you more IMO.

For street use and occasional tracking, a total waste of money IMO. Most will agree, only a couple will beg to differ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Past: 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T "Classic" RIP Old Buddy 6/4/15

The Present: 2016 R/T Scat Pack. Factory Options: B5 Blue, 24G Package(A8), WRT Wheels, and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Engine HP Mods: None Needed. HC Air Box/Tube; DIPs Screen; BT Catch Can; Mopar front Brace;"TA" style side stripes; Mopar '10 Center Caps
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 PM

I picked up 60k Sultans of Spark coils for about $215 running platinum plugs gapped to .065. Took me a little while to pull the trigger. But after several articals showing gains of 11-15 hp at the wheels. I figured why not. I dont notice much difference when running regular fuel but when I put 93 in I can feel the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:57 AM

Garage
Unless you have insane boost don't bother...

Somewhere in the Sonora Desert...
2014 R/T Shaker M6 w/JBA long tubes and exhaust, Magnuson super charger, Fastman throttle body, API fuel hat, HHP custom tune - See the rest in my garage...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife: 2015 R/T Plus A8 jazz blue pearl w/ Super Track Pak, A/C-heated leather seats and some other cool stuff,,,
Member:

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:40 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A wide variety of opinions on coil packs. Most will tell you snake oil -- save your money. I believe its your car your performance gains do what you wish.

Honestly I would like to see more people (members) tuning with bolt-ons and testing so we can see some real numbers. Instead of just spouting save your money, don't do it it's a waste, do what you want. A few sources hotrod mag. along with some procharged Camaro YouTube video showed us some results, BUT they also are trying to sell us.

----- Some outside perspective not invested in marketing a product and sharing REAL numbered results would be great.

DODGE//2009 Torred Challenger R/T 6 Speed | Functional Hood Scoops |
Hood Struts | SSE | Hurst Short Shifter | 20% Tint | MOPAR CAI | 85mm TB |
Corsa Exhaust System | Billet Tech Door Sills | SRT Headers & midpipes |
Eibach Adjustable Coilovers | Front & Rear MOPAR strut bars |
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:48 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
FWIW the Demon, Hell Cat, SP and RT all use the same coil pack. If there was a need for more energy I would think the SRT engineers would have used different coil packs on the Demon. BTW the stock tune on the HC runs a higher dwell time when compared to the SP and RT.

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-...bC12OC1nYXM%3D

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
The Following User Says Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
Pauljw (05-11-2019)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
FWIW the Demon, Hell Cat, SP and RT all use the same coil pack. If there was a need for more energy I would think the SRT engineers would have used different coil packs on the Demon. BTW the stock tune on the HC runs a higher dwell time when compared to the SP and RT.

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-...bC12OC1nYXM%3D

Don't forget the fact that car manufacturers save A LOT of money by being able to use the same part in multiple vehicles and engines in this case. Just because a part is used in 4 different engines, doesn't mean the engineers wished they could just make a specific coil pack for each application. It comes down to economics and the bottom line. The link above does show models from 2017+ in Jeep, Dodge, Ram and Chrysler. So they must have changed the coil pack to some degree from that year on.

Just an alternate view to consider.

That said, not sure if the RIPP (or other maker) coil packs do anything or not. They say they will have results in a future video, IIRC. Haven't seen update to this point yet.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:29 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh Bears View Post
Don't forget the fact that car manufacturers save A LOT of money by being able to use the same part in multiple vehicles and engines in this case. Just because a part is used in 4 different engines, doesn't mean the engineers wished they could just make a specific coil pack for each application. It comes down to economics and the bottom line. The link above does show models from 2017+ in Jeep, Dodge, Ram and Chrysler. So they must have changed the coil pack to some degree from that year on.

Just an alternate view to consider.

That said, not sure if the RIPP (or other maker) coil packs do anything or not. They say they will have results in a future video, IIRC. Haven't seen update to this point yet.
That may have been the norm in the olden days but considering even wheel caps and are different I doubt SRT engineers would keep the same coil packs if there was power to be had. Between the HC and Demon FCA was on a mission to post the highest production HP they could. If they could have tacked on a couple of more ponies with coils they would have spent the extra coin.

Like I said, there is a difference in the tunes where more dwell is added on the HC and Demon as opposed to the 5.7/6.4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Bolt On's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode