2014 R/T Throttle issue - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Forced Induction From Blowers to Turbos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2014 R/T Throttle issue

Ok so this is my first post. I own a 2014 100th Annv. Edition Challenger. Has a level 2 Scat Pack kit and a TVS2300 supercharger, 6 spd manual, 5.7. Car is in perfect condition and I am ocd on the maintenance on her.

I’m experiencing an odd issue I’ve never had on any car before. My throttle is jerky when I’m really light on the pedal. Like it jerks the car some. If I rev it, the rpms don’t drop off like normal, it will sit at that rpm for about 2 seconds then slowly drop off... it’s weird.

Now... if I disconnect the battery for a min then hook it back up... car runs perfect for 2 weeks. It’s very noticeable in difference. What on earth could cause this? Throttle sensor? The computer? ( it has the level 2 ecm that came with the scar pack kit and was tuned and dynoed). Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E90DC4E7-F3F1-44C5-9B65-BD7EA40B3525_1556416324411.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	944511  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxInSocks View Post
Ok so this is my first post. I own a 2014 100th Annv. Edition Challenger. Has a level 2 Scat Pack kit and a TVS2300 supercharger, 6 spd manual, 5.7. Car is in perfect condition and I am ocd on the maintenance on her.

I’m experiencing an odd issue I’ve never had on any car before. My throttle is jerky when I’m really light on the pedal. Like it jerks the car some. If I rev it, the rpms don’t drop off like normal, it will sit at that rpm for about 2 seconds then slowly drop off... it’s weird.

Now... if I disconnect the battery for a min then hook it back up... car runs perfect for 2 weeks. It’s very noticeable in difference. What on earth could cause this? Throttle sensor? The computer? ( it has the level 2 ecm that came with the scar pack kit and was tuned and dynoed). Thanks everyone!
my car did the same after disconnecting the battery with the whipple. it eventually figured itself out after 50 miles or so of continuous driving. try that or just reflash your custom tune on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2012 Challenger R/T Classic STP 6M Blue Streak Pearl, MODS Wipple 2.9L Supercharger also Blue streak pearl, Whipple Cold Air Kit, Flowmaster Outlaw Catback, ACE ALLOY AFF002 20X10.5 and 20X9 Nitto invo 315/35 and 275/40. Previously known as KcClassic!!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:

Did you change anything with the tune?

sounds like something isn't setup correctly in the tune. When it goes through the adaptive learning process it wants to hold the throttle open. I had that issue with one of the early versions of my tune. If you didn't change anything in the tune their could be a vaccum leak to start. There are a couple of the sensors MAF/crank/Cam that can throw that off too.

One of the members on here is really good with tunes, not sure if I should throw names out but, If he finds this one he will probably have some good insight.

Last edited by McCloud; 05-01-2019 at 06:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:24 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
I am no tuning expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn. Hanging throttle could be a screwy air flow table. BTW only the 2015-2016 HC use MAF all other challengers use MAP (HC and Demons also use TMAP). My initial tune had a hanging throttle but I don't remember offhand if it was just the throttle air flow table or something else in torque management, I will take a look later today to see what the fix was. Have you taken a log of the behavior? If you are applying light throttle and the car is jerking it could be that the PCM sees a higher torque than expected and is closing the throttle. Here is where logging pedal voltage, throttle voltage, throttle torque source, actual and expected torque can come in handy. What tuner are you running Diablosport or HP tuners? If HP tuners I can help but if DS you need to find a tuner with CMR software.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 05-01-2019 at 07:31 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok so first I bought this car from Steve White Motors.. great place. All the mods had already been done and it had already been tuned. I got all the paperwork with it. I do not have a tuner nor have I messed with anything. I have discovered it has the stock Mopar throttlebody on it, which I was surprised for a sc engine.

I bought a new throttle body for it as I asked some places around were I live and a lot of them said it was possibly the throttle body sensor, or the tune. Let me say I have never tuned anything nor have one.

I got an 87 mm ported throttle body from modern muscle coming this week. I want to see if a different throttle body will make any difference, if not I’ll most likely need to get ahold of someone local that can tune or check things out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:47 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Ok so first I bought this car from Steve White Motors.. great place. All the mods had already been done and it had already been tuned. I got all the paperwork with it. I do not have a tuner nor have I messed with anything. I have discovered it has the stock Mopar throttlebody on it, which I was surprised for a sc engine.

I bought a new throttle body for it as I asked some places around were I live and a lot of them said it was possibly the throttle body sensor, or the tune. Let me say I have never tuned anything nor have one.

I got an 87 mm ported throttle body from modern muscle coming this week. I want to see if a different throttle body will make any difference, if not I’ll most likely need to get ahold of someone local that can tune or check things out.
Ah, it could be that you need tweaking of the airflow tables in the tune to accommodate for the extra flow. Bigger throttle body on a SC does help. Also, it is a good idea to perform a throttle relearn when swapping out TBs. Unfortunately it's done with a scan tool (like a witech) or HP tuners VCM scanner software.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have a shop I go to we’re I live they said they have a tuner but I don’t know if it can do a throttle relearn.... I hate this electronic crap... I like having cables not fly by wire lol! Thing is that it is the same size throttlebody just a tad more open somehow. I might end up having to get this car retuned at some point however it bothers me that I can reset the battery and it runs perfect then goes stupid after a while of driving...

And to be clear I’ve not installed a new throttle body yet I’m waiting for a new one.

Just called my local shop and they can do a throttle relearn, so I’ll do that when I get the new throttle body.

Last edited by FoxInSocks; 05-01-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Got a MMX throttle body and boy does my challenger run better. I’m thinking there was a throttle position sensor issue but it’s definitely more responsive. Now couple weeks ago if it’s still smooth I’ll know it was the throttlebody... otherwise back to the drawing board!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Forced Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode