Forced induction for 392's. a thread to end them all. - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Forced Induction From Blowers to Turbos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Forced induction for 392's. a thread to end them all.

Greeting to you all

This subject has probably been discussed many time and in numerous threads throughout all challenger forums.

But the reason I am opening it again is to once and for all have a clear vision on how to safely super/turbo charge the infamous 6.4 392 engine without tearing it apart.

Now I know the majority simply would advise not to waste money and brain cells due to the weakness of the engines internals. In fact all of you probably would advise trading it for a hellcat. Now if that was easy and accessible to everyone. this discussion wouldn't be opened over and over.

So, yes I regret not buying a hellcat. not just because its more powerful. but I was a rookie and did not realize the politics behind it. Dodge probably realized that everyone would go to the cheaper alternative and buy a 6.4 and modify it and it would leave the hellcat with a handful of buyer, thus maybe intentionally giving the 392 weak internals that do not handle boost. So by modifying your 6.4 would probably empty your pockets and you would have saved a lot of money by simply buying the 6.2 supercharged Hemi.

Now all that aside (regret, Money wasting and headache). I cannot replace my 6.4. it is not that simple in counties outside of the U.S.

I am left with an ultimatum. Boost my 2016 srt 392 challenger :')

Now, Other than forged pistons, rods, Fuel system and gaskets. What other parts/internals do I need to take in consideration to make my 392 engine withstand at least hellcat power. I'm not talking 1000+ HP. something within the 650-700 Whp.

And if it helps. how could you even improve it to 1000+ HP I am guessing of course changing more internals.

I would really appreciate help from you guys who have had experience with such matters.

And if you cant be bothered to help out, I am pretty sure there are threads that are clear as crystal on the steps and parts needed.

Last edited by Huss; 05-25-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
So, yes I regret not buying a hellcat. not just because its more powerful. but I was a rookie and did not realize the politics behind it. Dodge probably realized that everyone would go to the cheaper alternative and buy a 6.4 and modify it and it would leave the hellcat with a handful of buyer, thus maybe intentionally giving the 392 weak internals that do not handle boost. So by modifying your 6.4 would probably empty your pockets and you would have saved a lot of money by simply buying the 6.2 supercharged Hemi.

Wow I didn't realize dodge put that much thought into their designs, intentionally building a weak link in the 2011 Apache engine to help with sales on the 2015 Hellcat platform.

On a serious note, Luke at Steve White is a forum vendor and does exceptional work, reach out to him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Supercharged Scat For This Useful Post:
stevewhiteparts (06-18-2019)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:37 PM

The 392 does not have weak internals but rather a piston design not ideal for forced induction. As noted, Luke at Steve White Motors is a good source (I used). There are others such as high horse performance with a good reputation.

HellCat power levels require internals to the same standard as a hellcat.

I don’t know what year SRT you have you must also have all the externals that can support the power levels; half shafts, differential, drive shaft, etc.

2012 SRT automatic, PB 12.0490 with DR, then 11.56 with 5.5psi magnuson Sold
2017 hellcat A8 stock, 10.86 with DR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:40 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Problem is that when you boost you are adding more power and heat. The 6.4 ring gaps are meant for NA so when things get too hot (tune is not conservative on fuel) the ring expands until the gap closes. You can bust a ring landing on a 5.7 just as on a 6.4.

I doubt the engineers would purposely put in weaker components...otherwise why go through the trouble of adding squirters and forged crank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
stevewhiteparts (06-18-2019), Toxic11 (05-29-2019)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
Problem is that when you boost you are adding more power and heat. The 6.4 ring gaps are meant for NA so when things get too hot (tune is not conservative on fuel) the ring expands until the gap closes.
Wouldn't a 180° thermostat help with the heat? Wouldn't water/meth injection help. What about E85 or something we have, 93 octane that has 30% ethanol. Doesn't that run cooler than gas? With all 3 of those things maybe the heat is lowered enough that the ring gap is no longer an issue?

Current muscle: 13 Challenger SRT8 A5•Redline Tri-coat Pearl/Black Stripes•SL Front Brace•Nitto Motivo 275/40/20•MRR GT5•SL Catch Can•Sequential Tail Lights•Quarter Scoops•Drake Fuel Door•180° T-Stat•Diablo T2•Wideband O2•93 octane with 30% ethanol

Muscle cars I've owned.
69 GTO 400
69 Road Runner 383
71 Duster 340
71 Challenger R/T 383
70 Challenger 426
78 Trans Am T/A 6.6
78 Trans Am 6.6 Liter
69 Camero 350
79 Corvette 350
76 Corvette LT1
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:39 PM

Edit

Last edited by Booky; 05-26-2019 at 06:49 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:47 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOV8R View Post
Wouldn't a 180° thermostat help with the heat? Wouldn't water/meth injection help. What about E85 or something we have, 93 octane that has 30% ethanol. Doesn't that run cooler than gas? With all 3 of those things maybe the heat is lowered enough that the ring gap is no longer an issue?
180F thermostat does not help as much as running water/meth and 93 exclusively. Don't forget the SC heats the air as well. Intercoolers help but you will still see about +30F above ambient IATs. I have a coworker running a procharger on his BMW without an intercooler and his IATs are north of 150F...the air charge is hot.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:42 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Get a custom cam. Pushrods. New valve springs retainers ect. Also new timing chain arp studs for the main caps and arp head bolts or arp studs for heads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 SRT
MAGNUSON TVS 2300 12LB BLOWER WITH ARRINGTON PERFORMANCE TUNED & DROP IN PISTONS AND RODS, KOOKS LONG TUBE HEADERS
ARRINGTON FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE
BILLET TECH FUEL DOOR BADGE, DOORLOCK PINS, DEVO STRUT TOWER COVERS, COMPLETE UNDERHOOD KIT IN RED, POP CAN DELETE DISC'S, SRT WHEEL CENTERS, DOOR JAM INSERTS,
CANTON SUPER CHARGER COOLANT TANK
BARTON SHORT THROW SHIFTER WITH MOPAR SHORT THROW HANDLE]
CUSTOM HEAD RESTS
SPEEDLOGIX A-PILLAR POD W/ AUTOMETER CARBON FIBER GUAGES
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:18 PM

So what is your goal of having a 700hp car? Racing (road or drag)? Weekend car or daily driver? 700hp is going to take a build, time and money. There are numerous ways to achieve the goal and the method you choose will impact how the car behaves.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOV8R View Post
A thermostat only regulates the minimum operating temperature. Just like a house without an air conditioner, you can set your home thermostat to 68 but if it's 105 outside, you can bet the temp in your house is still going to get hotter than 68.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Forced Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode