454 build questions - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Strokers Anything to do with Strokers and more in depth engine modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
454 build questions

Hey everyone. I am planning a engine build and would like to settle on a 454 stroker from MMX. It is hard to find information on this build which is why I am here. I was leaning towards a 426 with a supercharger but it seems that a 454 NA is still plenty of power (600 wheel) and would be really neat and unique.

Does anyone have any insight as to what else is needed for the build? Do the injectors, fuel pump, etc... need to be changed or can all the stock items on a 15 SRT support a 454 short block? What about push rods? I am trying to forecast other other items I need/should change to avoid complications or finding the hurdles during the build.

Currently on the car I have the Diablo tuner with unlocked PCM and 2.75" corsa extreme. Waiting to be installed are 2" kooks long tube/high flow cat combo.

The MMX description says that a cam, heads, ported intake and larger throttle body are necessary which makes sense. But that can't be all...?

Also, has anyone experienced a 454? What was it like?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 11:14 AM

I'm having a 426 N/A stroker built from scratch on my '15 SRT Challenger. Haden't considered a 454 but want the old school nostalgia of a 426 anyway. Pretty sure injectors and fuel pump upgrade need to be considered but not sure what my builder is doing on that. He is upgrading the oil pump for sure. Also going with ported alum. heads and everything that goes with that (spending a little more for titanium exhausts valves), balanced crank, custom grind cam, thin piston rings (gapped for boost if I decide to do that down the road), roller rockers, 90mm throttle body, 120 deg. t'stat, catless with Kooks long tubes and new high stall torque converter. Only thing re-used from my 392 will be porting the old intake and keeping my BT catch can. Builder says don't bother with that new Edelbrock Victor intake. They heat sink way more than the stock ones and have excessive PCV blow-by (plus don't add any real power).

I also purchased a set of billet valve covers and am re-locating the coil packs somewhere around firewall for a little classic Hemi appearance. Compression will be at 11.8:1 so hoping for some of that old school lope at idle Builder says we should see around 560HP to the ground on his Mustang dyno. so that would suit me for now. I really don't want to be upgrading anything from the trans. on back yet. I've been told the A8 and rear end should be good up to around 600WHP as long as I don't hit the strip with slicks. A little tire spin is our safety net. For a some rear end help, I'll be installing a differential brace though. I'm more of a track guy than strip so am eager to see how much corner carving time I can cut with the new setup.

Good luck on your build and keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sullivan Valve Cover Kit.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	931389  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 11:19 AM

Garage
It’s a fairly new option (out some months) so I doubt there’s a lot of people running one.
I would think the stock fuel pump would be good to that power but I’m not sure on the newer cars. The real question is if you would ever want more power later (nitrous or otherwise). If that were the case I would look into a drop in fuel pump system and step up in injector.
Chromoly pushrods or the like would be a good (and relatively cheap at ~$200) investment. Look into manton pushrods 3/8” drop ins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Challenger R/T Automatic
HP Tuners tuned, 270 Comp cam, BES ported heads, 3.91 rear, Driveshaft Shop one piece aluminum driveshaft, OCPerformance dual plane intake manifold, 88mm Fastman ported throttle body, custom side dump straight pipes, JBA longtubes and a healthy shot of giggle gas via Nitrous Express
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Wow. Sounds like you have a lot going on and it should be great.

I was thinking the 454 to just have nice power and sweet sounding lobe on a monster engine. I am not sure if it would be in reality what I have imagined; to much youtube. I would enjoy that head turner of a engine and it would allow me to save the supercharger money and buy a supercharged factory car of some sort in a few years. I talked to HHP and they said I would want to go with the 91 compression if I did the 426 stroker kit and had it installed by a machine shop. I have also had different people tell me to replace the main caps with billet ones and HHP said that it was not necessary on a 15' 392.

Why did you choose that compression ratio? For spray later on?

The oil pump upgrade is interesting. HHP told me that they delete the oil squirter on the pistons and that gains about 15psi on the oil system. Is the pump upgrade necessary or are you just doing it while its being rebuilt.

HHP is priced just under $9k for a forged and studded 426 and a 274 comp cam. That is me buying and installing myself. Ideally I was going to keep my factory 392 sitting in my garage for future use or something. lol. As for gapping for future nitro, I don't know about that stuff. Haha.

Pushrods, throttle body and t-stat are one the to do list now that you mention them. Those are cheap relatively... Also, I will do fuel system and injectors if necessary.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laferty View Post
Hey everyone. I am planning a engine build and would like to settle on a 454 stroker from MMX. It is hard to find information on this build which is why I am here. I was leaning towards a 426 with a supercharger but it seems that a 454 NA is still plenty of power (600 wheel) and would be really neat and unique.

Does anyone have any insight as to what else is needed for the build? Do the injectors, fuel pump, etc... need to be changed or can all the stock items on a 15 SRT support a 454 short block? What about push rods? I am trying to forecast other other items I need/should change to avoid complications or finding the hurdles during the build.

Currently on the car I have the Diablo tuner with unlocked PCM and 2.75" corsa extreme. Waiting to be installed are 2" kooks long tube/high flow cat combo.

The MMX description says that a cam, heads, ported intake and larger throttle body are necessary which makes sense. But that can't be all...?

Also, has anyone experienced a 454? What was it like?

Thanks!
That 454 Stroker kit just released a month or 2 ago by MMX. Nobody has actual proof that it will make that kind of power. They want you to use their cam and their ported heads of course to reach that 600rwhp goal. Im not going to say its not possible to obtain that power but i need proof before make that kind of investment. I do know it will strictly be a N/A motor, but you will be able to throw a 250 shot on the engine. Not sure if you have a stick or auto but 600rwhp will be pushing the limits of the 2015 and up A8 HP70 transmissions especially if your gonna throw some NOS at it. Bigger injectors of course will be needed, maybe a fuel system or you could get away with a boost a pump. One of there sales reps Bogdan Gilewski will be the first to have this 454 kit in his car. Contact him on Facebook and he could tell you more but he is a salesman so be mindful of that.

You mentioned doing a 426 boosted build. If i were to boost i would go with a 422 or smaller for boost. The more you stroke a engine the more stress on the crank. And to be honest these guys that have boosted 426's arent making anymore power than guys with just forged 392's to be honest. Look at the Dodge Demon. Fastest one hit 8.99 with pulley, E85 and 75 shot of NOS and its a 6.2 liter. PPL get caught in the hype of the 426 but you couldn't give me one. I actually got offered to get a 426 as a free upgrade when i ordered my high compression forged 392 from Arrington Performance and i turned it down. Im doing a N/A 392 high compression build at the moment and ill go boost later once i have a fuel system and a built A8 transmission.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Very interesting points you have. I suppose staying with forging the 392 is the best option. It just seems to get into murky territory with the strokers.

On another note, I purchased a 274 comp cam that I have to install. That should hold me over until I save for forging and a supercharger. Now I am trying to figure out what else I should upgrade with the cam. lol. I am thinking pushrods.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 05:45 PM

Springs the,whole nine.get complete kit.done
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:13 AM

Did 3 454's in 2017 , 2 last year.. Not the MMX kit, also did a hard blocked 4.155 Bore BGE with a 4.25 crank (461CI) for my Nephew's truck, a couple 468 Alum blocks and some darton sleeved 6.1s when you get over 426in your talking good money to get the power and to get the tune right. if your doing a Daily driver stay with the 426-431in range less issues. as for Boost , jamison45 is right stay with 422 or less, keep in mind that the FS/XX Challengers are making 1400Hp from 354-360 CI and a 2.9l Whipple.,

Laferty your not to far from me I'm over in Quakertown hit me up if you need any info. Do you do any of the Mopar Madness of the Lehigh Valley shows?
The Following User Says Thank You to ric3xrt For This Useful Post:
Laferty (04-20-2019)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:16 AM

No way, ever would I put a 454 Cu. In. emblem on a Mopar though...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,721 Posts
Garage
7.4L?

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Strokers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode