Engine Swap: SXT Plus V6 to a Mopar V8 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything related to quick bolt-on mods (e.g., cams, heads, oil catch cans etc.). (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Engine Swap: SXT Plus V6 to a Mopar V8

Hey y’all,
I recently came into possession of a Mopar V8 big block 383 (‘67 I think). Its a project and was gonna rebuild it and wanted to swap it with the stock 3.6L V6 on my 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT plus. Was wondering if anyone had any tips, recommended literature, or advice they can spare for me and/or if it’s even possible to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:14 AM

If you're asking if anyone has ever done this, the answer is no. If you're up for being the first person to do it, then go ahead but it will take a lot of time and effort for what has no objective value (i.e. only do it if it means something to you and is worth it..)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:35 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Do a search, the topic comes up once in a while. As Hanan mentions, I have yet to hear anyone successfully performing the swap. Although, I do remember reading someone with a magnum perform a swap from a V6 to V8. If you have the means I would say go for it because I love it when people take on such challenges...like this guy one HP tuners who put a weiand on 300.

https://youtu.be/7p8ZqfafN28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Garage
Before I went too far, I'd check with the emissions laws in your state. It might not be legal to do it and drive it on the street. I'm not saying it isn't, but it pays to check first.

I once thought about putting a 340 sb into a 71 Z car. I asked CARB and they sent me a detailed instruction list telling me exactly what I needed to do to keep it legal.

I think it would be far easier to swap a 5.7 than a motor with no electronic controls.

If you do it though, please post the whole thing here so we can see how it goes. Sounds pretty cool to me.

If you want to race, just drive 500 miles on a single tank first
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,565 Times in 2,706 Posts
Garage
The 67 383 was rated 325hp? Gross. Net that's approx. 260. The torque though, the torque

The 2015 however has a million sensors, and all tied in to the PCM. I'd think you'd have to make a stand alone management system for the older engine, and figure out how to satisfy the original. And as mentioned, if you have any emissions testing there is no way, period.

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:28 AM

as stated, vehicle will be held to the 2015 V6 emission standard...no way your going to get an old bigblock mopar to run within that, less is totally nuetered down. then there is the 2 billion lines of electronics, the trans, engine mounts, cooling, driveline, power steering issues to overcome.. probably a billion other lil things, all of which will cost thousands of $$ to even try to work thru.
I cant imagine what the resulting "frankenchallenger" would look and drive like.

2015 Mods:
Hellcat Intake w/ AEM hi-flow filter.
GenPartsCo-USA D.I.P.S. air catcher screens.
Axis Model II's.
Firestone Indy 275/40/20
Rolling Thunder Reso delete.
Exteremevinyls side marker tints.
GPC Trunk Pull Handle.
Spare/Jack/Foam Delete.
GPC Phantoms.
Mopar O.E. Black Fuel Door.
Hellcat OE. ABS Cover.
Rear Seat Delete.
2014 Dodge Viper Seats.
Custom Fire Extinguisher & Mount.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:06 AM

Garage
honestly I would quicker build a new car around the old engine, and keep the SXT as a daily driver
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanmuscle345 View Post
honestly I would quicker build a new car around the old engine, and keep the SXT as a daily driver
I have to agree. You proposed swap would make the car illegal to operate on any road per EPA.

Go get a dynacorn body and have at it, since you can register it as a pre-emissions car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode