Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hellcrate or Build My Own?

8K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  Ronan978 
#1 ·
I've been doing some research for my next upgrade. I'm going to go away from the 5.7 so I have been looking at the Hemi crate engines that are now available. I have discovered by the time you purchase the 6.4L, buy the supercharger, buy the forged pistons and connecting rods, and the cam to optimally support the boost, then the tune you are quite a bit over the cost of just buying a Hellcrate. It's takes some of the fun and pride of building your own but I think the Hellcrate is the way to go.

Anyone else looking into this? Thoughts?

#5 ·
I agree with the dependability, the rigor they go through with design and testing can't be beat plus the warranty that comes with the crate engine. So between that and price I guess there really is no question on which way to go. As for the trans and back components yes looking at the entire entire drive line, estimating around 17-20k end to end using the Hellcrate.

#7 ·
+1 I think that if you are gonna build it, build it from the ground up, otherwise, why not just buy the Hellcat already built...then you don't have to upgrade all the rest of the drivetrain to support the motor you are going to put in yours!! Haven't done the math, but I'd bet it's close in cost, and you won't have much in the way of warranty...that being said, I'd love to build an old Road Runner or Charger and put the Hellcrate motor in!!!

#8 ·
I would like to just go the Hellcat route but I have to compromise with the wife on the car payment and right now my car is paid off.. She really likes that... so $18,900 vs $65,000. My car is still like new so invest the $20k for the power. And I can sell my current engine for a few grand as well if I do it sooner than later. going that route I can save close to $50k vs. buying a new car. That's my line of thinking anyway. Still haven't made a decision, just brainstorming and thought this thread may be good to get people thinking and just throw some ideas around. Appreciate the feedback!

Hellcat= $65k
Build = $20k
Delta = $45k

Hellcrate= $15,000 (comes with PCM and wiring harness)
Clutch = $1,400
Driveshaft = $900
Axles= $1,600
Total= $18,900

#6 ·
I does sound like the "crate" motor is the way to go again.

Seems like that is the answer most of the time lately.

The price is often better and lets face if things go wrong....as they so often can and do......most crate motors offer a warranty to help bail you out of it should the worst happen early on.

That's a pretty tough to beat on your own.

#10 ·
not to burst anyone bubbles, but install a Hellcat crate motor into a modern Challenger or Charger is extremely price prohibitive, way cheaper to go buy a Hellcat....

you cannot simply bolt it in and go voila, first issue is the computer and wiring and oh tuning it....major issue

second, all the components that must go with it, oil cooler, coolant reservoir and pump, heat exchanger, plumbing, etc

we have discussed a number of time, best guess 23/25k parts and labor.....

like I said, cheaper to trade for a Kitty

Luke

#14 ·
Thanks for the feedback, but I checked into that. looks like the kit comes with it all and set to the factory tune.

The kit includes a powertrain control module (PCM), power distribution center, engine wiring harness, chassis harness, accelerator pedal, ground jumper, oxygen sensors, charge air temperature sensors and fuel pump control module for the 6.2-liter supercharged Crate HEMI Engine. The PCM is unlocked and set to the factory 707- horsepower calibration.

still 25k vs. 65k I'm not so sure it price prohibitive.

#11 ·
Luke makes a good point. Value of your car and $17K to $20K should get you a nice low milage used Cat. Only reason I went through the engine upgrade on my '15 SRT is I wanted an N/A 426 stroker for it's uniqueness and old school charm. Otherwise, a used Hellcat would have been my most practical choice.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.