How much Power Can the ZF HP70 Transmission Handle? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything related to quick bolt-on mods (e.g., cams, heads, oil catch cans etc.). (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How much Power Can the ZF HP70 Transmission Handle?

I'm looking to reach just under 700 rwhp. The factory rating (according to Wikipedia) is 700 Nm, which is about 516 ft/lbs of torque. Mine will obviously exceed that.

With that said, do any of you know of any real world examples of people running big power on the stock A8, and whether or not they held?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyopGoat View Post
I'm looking to reach just under 700 rwhp. The factory rating (according to Wikipedia) is 700 Nm, which is about 516 ft/lbs of torque. Mine will obviously exceed that.

With that said, do any of you know of any real world examples of people running big power on the stock A8, and whether or not they held?

Firefighter09 is running over 1000hp with a procharged 426 in a 16’ Charger. I’m pretty sure he is still on the stock driveline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronan978 For This Useful Post:
PsyopGoat (11-24-2018)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:49 AM

I have a 16 Scat A8 with a Procharger . my trans with a TCM tune was fine @700 whp but @765 whp it would slip on the shift at WOT . the TCM tune is critical in helping these trans live... my tuner pulled more timing and increased the speed of the shift because it's the clutches that are the weak link and are the first indicator there's a problem. as I have learned.. HP70's/ 90's rarely break hard parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to White R/T For This Useful Post:
PsyopGoat (11-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,279 Times in 2,504 Posts
Garage
Its probably a good idea to investigate what the HP90s have in the way of clutches, etc that gives them the extra margin for higher power rating.

As @White R/T mentions, the torque management and TCM programming are key to minimize damage to the transmission - especially clutches slipping.

Even the stock TCM programming will pull timing (and possibly throttle) on upshifts to reduce the stress on the A8 (and earlier A5s for that matter) as hitting the internals will full output will shorter the lifespan of the transmission

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
The Following User Says Thank You to Hal H For This Useful Post:
PsyopGoat (11-24-2018)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the replies, everyone! ��

Another question, what does it mean to “pull timing” in a transmission? I’ve only ever heard that used for the ignition timing of an engine.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:16 AM

Consider a new torque converter and rear diff brace also.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Another question, what does it mean to “pull timing” in a transmission? I’ve only ever heard that used for the ignition timing of an engine.

You pull timing in the motor (ECU/PCM/Whatever Dodge calls it) to make it easier on the trans.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:

It's engine timing that's being pulled to reduce power to reduce the load on the trans during the shift .. AKA... torque management.. there are timing tables in the PCM and the TCM that tuners access to address torque management.. people tend to want to remove tq mgmt which is fine for an N/A car but that is the last thing you want to do with theses transmissions when you're talking big power gains like you're considering . I know a 730 whp Scat that has 100 + runs on it and trans is just fine. TCM tuning was not available when that car was built so the only Tq mgmt tuning that was done was in the PCM . IMO, with the power level you're considering your trans will be fine if you use a good tuner.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:53 AM

You are correct timing is ignition. The pcm will pull timing at shift points, that’s that fart you hear during wot shifts. Like I said , I’m pretty sure FF09 is still stock , but he may have upgraded when he went to the f1. Either way , there’s a bunch of people pushing the 700whp range with the stock driveline. As stated , trans tuning is critical to keeping the trans safe. It won’t last forever but tuning will help. Also , diff brace , cradle bushings, suspension , etc.... will all help keeping your DS and axles in tact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in