Hurst pistol grip shifter question - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything related to quick bolt-on mods (e.g., cams, heads, oil catch cans etc.). (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Hurst pistol grip shifter question

Greetings,

This has probably been discussed before but I'm looking for some new insight. I have the Hurst 3916020 billet plus short shifter installed and am using the white Hurst shifting knob that comes in the kit. I'm looking to switch the knob out to a classic pistol grip style. The only one I see available for this shifter is the Hurst 5388651... it's a more modern version with a black delrin handle. Does anyone know if there's a more classic version with a wood/looking handle that will work with my 3916020? If so do you know the part number? I've looked around on the Hurst website and it's not clear to me.

Also, has anyone else made this change and if so what were your thoughts... happy with the change or not so? I like the look just wonder if it's as comfortable shifting?

Thanks for you feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:41 PM

Talking

Yes... here's a link https://hurstshiftersonline.com/prod...?idcategory=43, I have never used this vendor so I cant give a first hand look on there product/service.... but the pistol grip handle will bolt up to yours.... hold on to your a$$ they are very proud of there shifters, I believe the handles are $200+ you can shop around on ebay, and I believe steve white motors will not be undersold...(it is where I got mine)...
here's a few pics of mine just installed yesterday...

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	1176
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	68206

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	4235
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	68207

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	1472
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	68208
The Following User Says Thank You to willie9520 For This Useful Post:
ttate00 (05-25-2013)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks willie9520!

That's exactly what I was looking for.

What are your thoughts on the feel.. is it way better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie9520 View Post
Yes... here's a link https://hurstshiftersonline.com/prod...?idcategory=43, I have never used this vendor so I cant give a first hand look on there product/service.... but the pistol grip handle will bolt up to yours.... hold on to your a$$ they are very proud of there shifters, I believe the handles are $200+ you can shop around on ebay, and I believe steve white motors will not be undersold...(it is where I got mine)...
here's a few pics of mine just installed yesterday...

Attachment 68206

Attachment 68207

Attachment 68208
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttate00 View Post
What are your thoughts on the feel.. is it way better?
I have the Hurst pistol grip handle on the Hurst short-throw linkage. The feel is mostly determined by the linkage, but there is much better control with the pistol grip handle. Many drag racers in my area use them for that reason.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:58 PM

How hard is this to switch out? I have the hurst shifter with the white ball and would love to have one of these. Does the counsel just pop off and then unbolt the shifter? Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrod782 View Post
How hard is this to switch out? I have the hurst shifter with the white ball and would love to have one of these. Does the counsel just pop off and then unbolt the shifter? Thanks!
These shifter handles change with two bolts--so it is very easy. The only part of the console you need to remove is the trim ring around the leather boot.

Put your fingers underneath the trim ring and pull up sharply. Be more cautious at first until you gauge how much force is needed to pop it up.

Then remove the two bolts that hold the ball handle, swap the boot to the new handle, and replace with whatever handle you want. Use blue Locktite on the bolts (you can guess how I learned that).

Some people find the pistol grip handle too tall; they drill a new hole above the two existing holes on the handle and use the top two to mount. This drops the handle about 3/4".

Last edited by OttoPilot; 05-26-2013 at 06:48 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 07:03 AM

I got mine about a year ago. I had one on my 72. I took the cheap plastic handles off and got some solid Black Walnut and with my Dremel tool recreated the handles only with my hand shape carver into them. I know "Ruddog" also did this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	68252   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	1084
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	68253  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 AM

I, too, have the Hurst short throw shifter and, after a year, replaced the white ball straight shaft shifter handle with te the classic pistol grip. I'm going to switch back, maybe today if I have the time. While I like the retro look, the shifter handle is just a touch too tall when compared to the white ball. Also, the pistol grip handle is a longer lever and it does make shifts "feel" longer than with the white ball. Plus, I really do like the old school white ball look.

2010 R/T, Resonator delete, CAI, Predator, 6 speed, Hurst short throw shifter, strut tower brace, 85mm throtte body
The Following User Says Thank You to mschipa For This Useful Post:
ttate00 (05-26-2013)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
That's a nice look capt50ft.. I like the real wood. Appearance wise, the fake plastic wood is the one thing that kinda bothers me.

Last edited by ttate00; 05-26-2013 at 09:26 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rudedog Send a message via Skype™ to Rudedog
It's more about the feel in your hand then looks. I also have a wooden pistol grip (after I saw Capt50ft's) and it just feels so much better in real wood.

Someone could make a killing off real wood grips. The only place that use to sell them doesn't anymore (gunslinger) because their hand carver passed away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Challenger R/T Classic | Plum Crazy Pearl | 6sp | sun roof | STP | Leather | Sound Group II w/Nav (730N) | MOROSO Tanks| Lockpick v.4 w/cam | Petty Garage STB | Trinity-Custom tuned by OSTmike | Hust S/T shifter | BT Engine bling | PASSPORT Qi45 | AT cat back | AFR true shaker/TA hood | braided hoses | AN fittings | JBA shorties | Hi-flow cats | H/O API Supercharger @8lbs | API Dual Fuel Pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode