Hurst Shifter + 2012 392 = WOWOWOW - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything related to quick bolt-on mods (e.g., cams, heads, oil catch cans etc.). (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Hurst Shifter + 2012 392 = WOWOWOW

What a GREAT purchase! This shifter is absolutely AMAZING - definitely a MUST BUY for anyone still on the fence!

I opted to re-use the stock pistol grip since I prefer the OEM look (that, and the two times I touched the white cue ball shifter it got filthy so I figured it would be a pain in the ass to keep clean being so gleaming white and all)

I think the best way to describe this shifter is FIRM and HEAVY (but a GOOD heavy)... the throw is WAY less than stock and this shifter makes the stock one feel sloppy and ridiculous.

Install was pretty straight forward; two areas that were a pain was getting the one bolt off that had the lock-tight (but a little elbow grease solved that problem) and getting the two pins lined up and installed on the shifter linkage (it wasn't that it was super difficult, it was just that you have minimal room to fit your hands and BOY are things sharp down there!)

All in all, definitely worth the money! Anyone contemplating this purchase needs to bust out their wallet.

I can't speak for the noise issue with the Hurst shift stick but I will say that with the stock shifter it is ALMOST exactly the same as stock... you can hear the EVER SO SLIGHTEST "whirring" sound every now and again but I could only hear it with my windows up and if I leaned my ear down near the shifter so definitely don't panic about this issue if you're keeping the OEM shift knob.

Here are some pictures from the install... no final pic because, well, it looks the same as stock.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130607_151512.jpg
Views:	996
Size:	458.6 KB
ID:	69063   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130607_151405.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	69064   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130607_151413.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	69065  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 6-spd, Sublime
BUILD #3155 (240th in Canada)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironside For This Useful Post:
Js78 (06-07-2013), ken kamins (06-08-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:17 PM

Nice, I know a couple guys that have installed them and they all seem pretty happy with it as well.

2014 SRT Core - 12.091 @ 114.03 mph
2010 R/T - PB 12.87 Traded

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know my car runs 10's because I once beat a guy who said his car runs 11's.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:43 PM

Garage
What if any special tools are needed. I eventually want to do this. And about how long, if you work straight through, taking your time do you figure it takes. Good job by the way. Congrats.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Black 2013 SRT8 6 speed, dual gray metallic stripes, radar red interior, tinted windows and side markers, Goodyear F1 front tires, (OEM), BF Goodrich g-force sport comp 2 275/40/ZR20 rears, Legmaker "True" fender pull CAI, 87mm ported throttle to match ported intake manifold by Peakspeed, Mishimoto 180* T-Stat, Diablosport H.F. custom 93 Tune, Magnaflow comp series cat back, Speedlogx front tower brace, MOPAR stage ones, Barton shifter, catch can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Supporting Vendor

Send a message via AIM to SRT8U Send a message via Skype™ to SRT8U
Glad you like it, very worthwhile mod for the 6 speeds!

Kris
2018 Durango SRT
2017 Charger Hellcat
2006 Charger SRT8 Road Course Car
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

Send a message via AIM to SRT8U Send a message via Skype™ to SRT8U
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyp View Post
What if any special tools are needed. I eventually want to do this. And about how long, if you work straight through, taking your time do you figure it takes. Good job by the way. Congrats.

It isn't too bad of an install. Here is a writeup with pics we did a while back
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums...=hurst+install
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
How did you reuse the stock shift handle since it attaches to the linkage differently?

JFF
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:30 PM
DT1
Lifetime Premium Member

The hurst has a stock style mount for stock shifters. I'm using a gunslinger pistol grip with my hurst, works perfectly.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
How did you reuse the stock shift handle since it attaches to the linkage differently?

JFF
The Hurst shifter has an extra slot that allows the stock shifter to slide in and bolt up. Mikey from Speedlogix originally told me this was not possible due to Chrysler changing the design of their stock shifter slightly but I found no problems hooking it right up without any modification; just plug and play.

I let a few buddies try out the shifter tonight and they were blown away!

[NOISE UPDATE] After driving around tonight i can see the noise people are referring to; if you are sitting idle in traffic with the windows up and radio off you can hear a slightly annoying, intermittent rattle (only hear it occasionally) from the transmission. The same sound can be heard from outside but was very muted in the cabin before; now, not so much.

It's not absolutely terrible by any means but noticeable enough that my wife was like "is your car supposed to make that sound?" so it definitely sounds out of place.

I think the car sounds more raw, reminds me more of a brute force race car... When you're actually moving, I kinda like the noise the car makes, actually sounds good.

That being said, I can see how some might dislike it. A Chrysler 300 luxury car this is not!

A little noise still doesn't take away from the fact that this is the greatest mod I've done next to Zoomers!

Last edited by Ironside; 06-08-2013 at 08:37 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:24 PM

Nice thread! I've herd these are pretty sweet! Definitely a future mod for me when I upgrade

BTW, here's a link to Speedy's Garage which is a step by step video on how to install the HURST shifter....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Int...e_gdata_player

Good Luck Guys :thumbup:

Sofas are made to sit // Cars are made to DRIVE!!!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 02:35 AM

Thanked 4,370 Times in 2,879 Posts
Did you use the dynamat kit that came with it?
When you press the clutch all the way down, do you hear the little rattling noise go away?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode