Question about the Hurst shifter - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything related to quick bolt-on mods (e.g., cams, heads, oil catch cans etc.). (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Question about the Hurst shifter

I installed the Hurst shifter for my 6-speed about a year ago and I love it. But I tried putting in the factory pistol grip shifter as I am growing tired of the ball shifter. The question is, did anyone else's factory shifter handle not fit into the hurst shifter block? I slid in the handle and it is too long and the bolt holes won't line up. One thing I have noticed when I put in the shifter a year ago is that the shifter was a little different than the pictures and the nipple in the rear and the red silicone had to be modified to fit. Also the shifter block seems to have come backwards from the factory. The slot that the factory shift handle goes into (the triangle slot with two bolt holes) should be towards the back of the car and mine is to the front of the car. It wasn't a problem for the Hurst shifter handle since they bolt to the side of the block. Does anybody have a suggestion on what to do? I really wanna get rid of this ball shifter, it doesn't "feel" right I need a pistol shifter again. I am guessing the only other option is to accept there was a slight mess up at the factory and just get a Hurst pistol grip shifter like this one. It says it's for the old school challengers but it should fit the new shifter block, the bolt holes look correct. And I believe there are people running it on here, am I correct in saying that?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hurst/530/538-...3T3x3vUvfw_wcB

I just called Hurst and they said people have reported slight variations in the shifters through out the years...great looks like I got lucky. They also said the woodgrain shifter will fit into the new challengers them and their vendors just don't list it.

****sorry for the long post****

Custom ordered 2012 Challenger R/T Classic 6-Speed, STP, Hurst short throw shifter, Gloss black Viper wheels 20x9 front-20x10 rear, Diablosport T-1000. 392 Cam, PSI-1511ML spring, and Arrington forged pushrods installed by SNL Performance, long tube headers, Snow Performance dual stage water/meth injection and a 2.8LC Kenne Bell supercharger installed myself. [B][COLOR="Red"]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DaltonR/Tclassic; 05-24-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 07:28 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Man I don't want to make you feel bad but you installed it bassAckwards. The rod will turn/spin in the bearing you just need to re-install it in the CORRECT position which means removing the bolt that attaches it and turning the rod 180*, don't know about stock holes on handle lining up though, sorry.

First 09 sold in DFW, 08/30/08 BB-SE/G TRADED for Sickr PCP, 10 PCP R/T 6-Spd 7/5/10, Dream Since Teens! Mods; MoPar Strutbrace,LMI CAI, Borla ATAK, Custom Raptor SL, Moroso CC, SSE, Hurst w/70's mod, BR sequentials, Amber/Red sw/LEDs, Hotchkis Swys, r-Police/Cquence Drilled Rotors-all, SXHood, DCS pins, Sickr rear/delete w/6x9s&12"sub, Boss 338s f 235/50/18, r 275/40/20ZR Motivos.

"TexasOutlawChallengers-ChallengerJam"
Studies show; PCP is highly ADDICTIVE in 6-speed form!
The Following User Says Thank You to sick'r bee For This Useful Post:
DaltonR/Tclassic (05-25-2014)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hmm no worries about making me feel bad! That's why I asked on here, I didn't know the rod would rotate. I'll go back into it today and fix it. Now I just gotta figure out why the bolt hole won't line up for the stock shifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well, I tore it down and a few curse words later and lots of rain...I got it back together and now rocking the stock pistol grip with the hurst short throw. Thanks sick'r bee for pointing that out to me!!!

Last edited by DaltonR/Tclassic; 05-25-2014 at 02:24 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,568 Posts
Garage
I sanded the OEM handle shaft w/ 60 grit - it otherwise wouldn't fit into the adapter block and with the paint on the adapter block, that didn't help either (way to go Hurst...).

After a few passes of sanding, it fits in there. I was surprised when it wouldn't at first.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
I sanded the OEM handle shaft w/ 60 grit - it otherwise wouldn't fit into the adapter block and with the paint on the adapter block, that didn't help either (way to go Hurst...).

After a few passes of sanding, it fits in there. I was surprised when it wouldn't at first.
I had to do the samething, and a little bit of WD-40 helped it in. It was really tight maybe too tight.

Last edited by DaltonR/Tclassic; 05-25-2014 at 03:11 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonR/Tclassic View Post
Well, I tore it down and a few curse words later and lots of rain...I got it back together and now rocking the stock pistol grip with the hurst short throw. Thanks sick'r bee for pointing that out to me!!!
NP More than welcome, do that kind of mix-up myself, like plugging the SSE into the reverse lockout..... oops back in the air and change to right one!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 11:03 AM

Sounds like you got your problem solved but just as an FYI...

Hurst has a "New" pistol grip handle especially for that short throw shifter.

Hurst Challenger 2009 2013 Pistol Grip Handle 6 Speed Lens Fits 3916020 Shifter | eBay

Two bolts to swap the handle out.

A little pricey, but I didn't like the ball and I'm a pistol grip kinda guy...

... Nuffsaid.

'09 SRT8 TorRed 6.1 Hemi 6 Spd.
K&N Cold Air Intake
Flowmaster Cat Back - Outlaw Series
Hurst Short Shifter
Skip Shift Eliminator
Mopar Front Strut Tower Brace
Brembo Brakes
And just the right amount of attitude
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
Sounds like you got your problem solved but just as an FYI...

Hurst has a "New" pistol grip handle especially for that short throw shifter.

Hurst Challenger 2009 2013 Pistol Grip Handle 6 Speed Lens Fits 3916020 Shifter | eBay

Two bolts to swap the handle out.

A little pricey, but I didn't like the ball and I'm a pistol grip kinda guy...
Nice thanks, yea I'm using the stock pistol grip for now but I will eventually get this, yea I'm with you I like the pistol grips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode