Looking for Tuner advice - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Tuning/Data Use this section for tuning and tune/data related devices (ie. handhelds, data recorders, gauges)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Looking for Tuner advice

I am buying a 2018 RT scatpack and I will want to buy s tuner for it. I’m looking for suggestions as to what tuner would be the best and also what can I expect for HP gains. Car will be completely stock....for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,736 Times in 1,875 Posts
Garage
Here is an excellent write-up on how to use a Diablo tuner.

Diablosport Predator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:54 AM

I just downloaded HP Tuners software (VCM Suite) to mess with onto a PC. There are some stock tunes it comes with, I was just navigating around it for now. Once I get my PCM back after the Recall is done, I am thinking seriously about having it unlocked. All I really want to do for now is raise the top speed from 155 to the max. (255), I know it won't go that fast but it won't be limited either. Turn off MDS, if I can find that parameter and lower the temp where the cooling fans turn on, after I install a 185 Degree T-Stat After copying my Scat Pack 1 PCM programming to use as a "Baseline".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Let me know if you want any stock Challenger tunes to review. I have an HPTuner device and have access to their Tune Repository.

I bought the HPTuner for my Impala (and learned enough to make a very significant difference in the way the car drives), but it's amazing how "different" the GM tuning is compared to the Dodge tuning. I don't think I'm going to mess with the tune on my 2018 GT. Don't want to risk the warranty implications.

But like I said, if you want some stock Challenger tunes to review - let me know - just need to know exact what year/model you are looking for.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
Flat Top (04-20-2019)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:30 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Are you planning to do tuning yourself or have someone else tune?

IMO Diablo Sport tuners are very limited in terms of capability for the DIY'er but are more than adequate for tuning via email.

On a stock motor, you might be able to free-up some HP. Typically what I have seen are the tunes usually are tweaked to give better throttle response and to reduce the amount of timing being pulled (i.e. knock sensors are desensitized, tip-in timing retard is reduced...ect). Most tweaks are also done on WOT tables where NN (neural network) is no longer controlling things. Basically the stock tune is developed to have some safe operation and fuel economy in mind. With a custom tune you are trading off this for more power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:41 AM

I was told I could use the HP Tuner to datalog before buying any credits and attempting to tune. My question, can you datalog on the stock locked PCM or does it need to be unlocked first?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
You can datalog without the PCM being unlocked.
As far as tuners, it depends on how hands on you are, and what your tuner prefers.
I highly recommend Mike @ OST Dyno for tuning, and he is strictly HP Tuners nowadays.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YLWJKT For This Useful Post:
Flat Top (04-20-2019), NMRT (04-17-2019)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Let me know if you want any stock Challenger tunes to review. I have an HPTuner device and have access to their Tune Repository.

I bought the HPTuner for my Impala (and learned enough to make a very significant difference in the way the car drives), but it's amazing how "different" the GM tuning is compared to the Dodge tuning. I don't think I'm going to mess with the tune on my 2018 GT. Don't want to risk the warranty implications.

But like I said, if you want some stock Challenger tunes to review - let me know - just need to know exact what year/model you are looking for.
I am still just playing but it looks like you could put the HP Tuners on a lap top and plug it in to the OBD port and download the stock tune from the car, pretty much without doing anything else. then Just need the PCM unlocked to upload any changes. Correct?

I have a 2015 R/T Plus 5.7l A8 With a Scat Pack 1 PCM.

Could I download that tune and the stock tune and then adjust the stock tune to match it and then load that onto my stock but unlocked PCM?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Julian View Post
I am still just playing but it looks like you could put the HP Tuners on a lap top and plug it in to the OBD port and download the stock tune from the car, pretty much without doing anything else. then Just need the PCM unlocked to upload any changes. Correct?

I have a 2015 R/T Plus 5.7l A8 With a Scat Pack 1 PCM.

Could I download that tune and the stock tune and then adjust the stock tune to match it and then load that onto my stock but unlocked PCM?

No, the PCM has to be unlocked before you can pull the stock file.
You will also need to buy credits after the PCM is unlocked before you can tune it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YLWJKT For This Useful Post:
Flat Top (04-20-2019), Frank Julian (04-17-2019)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:47 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Originally Posted by YLWJKT View Post
No, the PCM has to be unlocked before you can pull the stock file.
You will also need to buy credits after the PCM is unlocked before you can tune it.
Are you sure about that? Why would you need to unlock a PCM to read a stock tune? Now writing is a different story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Tuning/Data

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode