Brake Squealing Issues - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Brake Squealing Issues

I hate to have to post a issues but this brake squeal in the front has been going on since i got the car pretty much. Thought it would go away but seems to be constant when i apply brake light on the peddle. I have the 6 piston brembos in front and aware in general that brembos are noisy but its kinda too much for my ears with 2400 miles, 2 months old. Any way to get these things to magically quiet down without replacing/upgrading the pads to powerstops?

2019 Challenger 392 Shaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Once you have a squeak with oem pads it'll never go away (comes and goes) it usually gets started from the light braking (glazed rotors) if it drives you nuts you'll have to change them out
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
I hate to have to post a issues but this brake squeal in the front has been going on since i got the car pretty much. Thought it would go away but seems to be constant when i apply brake light on the peddle. I have the 6 piston brembos in front and aware in general that brembos are noisy but its kinda too much for my ears with 2400 miles, 2 months old. Any way to get these things to magically quiet down without replacing/upgrading the pads to powerstops?

Did you do a brake bedding in operation? Briefly, hard braking at speed to remove considerable speed without bringing the car to a stop and repeat this several times. This gets the brakes hot, primarily the pads, and this causes the more volatile compounds to outgas which improves braking. No need to over do it. I have found any improvement in braking action falls off after the 3rd braking.

Be sure to after drive the car enough to give the brakes plenty of time to shed the considerable heat.

For brake squeal at light pedal pressure and low speed with my Hellcat -- and this was the case with other cars before the Hellcat -- a brake wash helps. At a DIY car wash spray the cool brakes down with the nozzle setting to spray soap to help more the brake grime mainly dust from the brake hardware (but the inside of the wheel will shed consider brake dust too). But the dust on the caliper and specifically the brake piston dust boots is the main target for removable.

After a soaping phase switch to a rinse phase then if the car wash offers it switch to a no spot rinse setting.

Be aware you do not want to jam the spray nozzle tip right down at the dust boots for fear the high pressure water will tear the boot.

When you first apply the spray the water will be black with dust which give you some idea of how much dust there is.

After the final rinse be sure to take the car in a nice drive and use the brakes a good amount -- do a mini bedding it if you have the right place for it -- to get them warm and keep them warm a while to thoroughly dry them. The parking brake hardware in the rear brakes can retain water so get the brakes nice and hot. But like above then drive the car enough to give the brakes times to cool down.

Every so often when my Hellcat manifests a mild brake squeal upon light braking I do the above and the noise is gone and remains gone for months. If you live in a wetter area the brake dust accumulation might be worse due to the rust that forms on the rotors and which is scrubbed off when the brakes are used but course just adds to the dust load the brakes are exposed to.

Oh, the brake dust on the piston dust boots interferes with the natural tendency of the pistons to retract slightly when the pedal is released. Normally the pistons pull back due the natural hysteresis in the piston seals but it doesn't take much to interfere and prevent this from happening.

As a result the pads or just one pad or even just a portion of a pad can remain in light contact with the rotor and this develops a light glazing that can produce the squeal.

The washing only takes a few minutes and costs just a few dollars in quarters. If it works saves you the considerable cost of trying to find substitute brake hardware that will deliver the same braking performance with no squeal. 'course even the new hardware could fall victim to the brake dust and make noise after a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
Did you do a brake bedding in operation? Briefly, hard braking at speed to remove considerable speed without bringing the car to a stop and repeat this several times. This gets the brakes hot, primarily the pads, and this causes the more volatile compounds to outgas which improves braking. No need to over do it. I have found any improvement in braking action falls off after the 3rd braking.

Be sure to after drive the car enough to give the brakes plenty of time to shed the considerable heat.

For brake squeal at light pedal pressure and low speed with my Hellcat -- and this was the case with other cars before the Hellcat -- a brake wash helps. At a DIY car wash spray the cool brakes down with the nozzle setting to spray soap to help more the brake grime mainly dust from the brake hardware (but the inside of the wheel will shed consider brake dust too). But the dust on the caliper and specifically the brake piston dust boots is the main target for removable.

After a soaping phase switch to a rinse phase then if the car wash offers it switch to a no spot rinse setting.

Be aware you do not want to jam the spray nozzle tip right down at the dust boots for fear the high pressure water will tear the boot.

When you first apply the spray the water will be black with dust which give you some idea of how much dust there is.

After the final rinse be sure to take the car in a nice drive and use the brakes a good amount -- do a mini bedding it if you have the right place for it -- to get them warm and keep them warm a while to thoroughly dry them. The parking brake hardware in the rear brakes can retain water so get the brakes nice and hot. But like above then drive the car enough to give the brakes times to cool down.

Every so often when my Hellcat manifests a mild brake squeal upon light braking I do the above and the noise is gone and remains gone for months. If you live in a wetter area the brake dust accumulation might be worse due to the rust that forms on the rotors and which is scrubbed off when the brakes are used but course just adds to the dust load the brakes are exposed to.

Oh, the brake dust on the piston dust boots interferes with the natural tendency of the pistons to retract slightly when the pedal is released. Normally the pistons pull back due the natural hysteresis in the piston seals but it doesn't take much to interfere and prevent this from happening.

As a result the pads or just one pad or even just a portion of a pad can remain in light contact with the rotor and this develops a light glazing that can produce the squeal.

The washing only takes a few minutes and costs just a few dollars in quarters. If it works saves you the considerable cost of trying to find substitute brake hardware that will deliver the same braking performance with no squeal. 'course even the new hardware could fall victim to the brake dust and make noise after a while.

Thank you for all hat info, tomorrow i will try that and see as i have a pressure washer here at my home. Very informative and i thank you again for this info!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post

Good info my man! Thanks for passing along. I to have a slight squeak in the brakes and recently had it at the dealer for something else but had them check the pads and rotors which all checked out fine. I will try your method - thanks again.

2015 Scatpack 392 M6
Black/black
Stainless Works LT Headers
High flow cats
Resonator delete
274 Comp Cam with vvt limiter
Arrington 84 mm throttle body
Barton short throw shifter
Unlocked PCM
Diablo Sport Tuner
HHP Tune
Mopar CAI
Mopar front/rear strut tower braces
Speedlogix SS eliminator
Black lug nuts with Hellcat center caps
Mopar Performance Lowering Springs
Hellcat ram air intake
Hellcat red start button
275 Nittos
Heated/Ventilated seats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Any particular reason why you don't want to switch out the pads? Powerstops are easy to install, you get much less brake dust and they will save your rotors. I swapped out my noisy, dust Brembos at around 2k miles and am glad I did.

2010 PCP Dodge Challenger RT Classic -TRADED
2014 Torred Dodge Challenger RT Shaker #1253 -GONE

2018 Torred SRT Challenger Hellcat
this should be it for a while...

"Beyond the Palace, Hemi powered drones scream down the boulevard......"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze View Post
Any particular reason why you don't want to switch out the pads? Powerstops are easy to install, you get much less brake dust and they will save your rotors. I swapped out my noisy, dust Brembos at around 2k miles and am glad I did.

No particular reason just didn't want to spend the extra money on it as it just feels good other then the noise. The dust i haven't had too much issues with just yet. Whats the cost on the power stops possible correct ones and also labor on something like changing the pads? Its been a while since i did either or as i tend to drive low miles...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:29 PM

I've had 2 challengers with brembos and they both squeal. Just deal with it... Porsche will help you understand.

https://youtu.be/fUNHb9O52WQ

2015 Challenger SP
- 6M
- Scat Pack Appearance Group
- Sound Group II
- 20" x 9" Matte Black Lightweight Forged Alum Wheels
- 275 Kumho Ecsta PS91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Npatula For This Useful Post:
BlackHemi41 (05-13-2019)
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Npatula View Post
I've had 2 challengers with brembos and they both squeal. Just deal with it... Porsche will help you understand.

https://youtu.be/fUNHb9O52WQ
Good old Porsche.

My Boxster and 996 Turbo brakes were pretty darn quiet. Occasionally maybe 2 times a year, the Turbo would develop a bit of squeal under light braking. I generally avoided this style of braking preferring to be a bit more aggressive with the brake pedal. Those long slowdowns while lightly applying the brakes are hard on brakes. By being just a bit more aggressive with the braking one avoids that usage and squeal is minimized and brake life extended. The front brakes on my Turbo lasted to around 140K miles and the rears were still good at 161K miles.

Boxster brake life was equally good.

But when the squeal appeared I found the light squealing could be eliminated with a brake washing. In fact this has proved to be the case for a number of cars I have owned prior to my Porsche Boxster and Turbo and currently own, for instance my Hellcat. My JCW so far has *not* manifested any brake squealing. But whenever I wash the JCW I give the brake hardware plenty of attention. The water initially runs black so I know there is a lot of brake dust collected.

It is up to the OP of course how he wants to address this if he feels it needs addressing.

Me I prefer not to have to replace say pads -- this can require some experimentation and can change the braking performance -- or mess with the hardware unless it is absolutely called for.

For example, long before I stumbled on the more aggressive braking thing, years ago to deal with disc brake noise when disc brakes on street cars -- at least the ones I could afford -- were rare and brake noise was not as effectively managed as it is nowadays -- I filed a chamfer around the pads and used a file to cut some shallow V grooves at angles across the face of the pads all intended to cut down on brake noise. These things worked but it was a lot of trouble. If I can keep the noise at bay by avoiding light braking and by the occasional washing I'm all for that.

Have to mention too the Turbo brake noise was not at all severe and I lived with it for some time. Only in a few rare cases did I visit a car wash specifically to wash the brake hardware. Most of the time I only bothered to wash the brakes when I was washing the car for other reasons. Kind of a while I was there thing. The same applies nowadays to my Hellcat. A few weeks ago I had the Hellcat in a DIY car wash and took the extra time and quarters to really "wash" the brake hardware.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockster For This Useful Post:
keon718nyc (05-14-2019)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:

I don't have Brembos, but my R/T will occasionally develop a squeal and when it does I just go to back road somewhere and re-bed them. Works for me.

2012 R/T Classic 6M; STP; Barton Shifter; CDV delete; Skip Shift Eliminator; Blastin' Bobs' axle back Magnaflow resonators; DiabloSport i2 tuner w/Hemifever custom tune; Mopar hood pins; Petty's Garage front strut brace; Tungsten Metallic Clear Coat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in