Brake Squealing Issues - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:04 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
Thats pretty much what i am hearing more and more. So i guess time to stop much harder for time being. Thing squealed with 37 miles on it when i left the dealer but i disregarded thinking dust ect.. Maybe the test driving people had messed them up. Who knows, Just never had this type of sound so quickly into a car.

What can and does happen with new cars on the lot (and used cars, too) is the brakes get wet (from exposure to rain or the frequent washing the cars are subject too) and rust but the car gets driven very little and the last thing on the test driver's mind is this brake rust.

In fact most often the only "use" the car gets is when it moved around the lot so the brakes get used about as lightly as they can.

With your car with 37 miles it obviously has been driven most that just moving the car about the lot every so often.

But the problem is still the rust this rust gloms on to the pads and affects the friction between the pads and rotors.

With every new car purchase I always arrange to do a brake bedding in as soon as I can after I buy the car. If possible I do this on the drive home. Because in most cases it so happens I buy a car some distance from my house -- 10 miles, 45 miles, even 90+ miles -- I have plenty of opportunity to perform a brake bedding in operation.

This brake bedding in will heat up the pads and allow the more volatile compounds to turn into gas and thus leave the pad material. The bedding in can also remove the light coating of rust on the pad surfaces.

The brakes might still squeal lightly due to as I touched upon from dust build up on the piston dust boots or just because some brake squeal can be normal. But you need to bed in the brakes -- provided of course you have not already done this -- and get them started -- albeit belatedly -- on the road to a long and trouble free service life and probably -- based on my experience over the years with factory brakes -- a reasonably and acceptable quiet service life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
What can and does happen with new cars on the lot (and used cars, too) is the brakes get wet (from exposure to rain or the frequent washing the cars are subject too) and rust but the car gets driven very little and the last thing on the test driver's mind is this brake rust.

In fact most often the only "use" the car gets is when it moved around the lot so the brakes get used about as lightly as they can.

With your car with 37 miles it obviously has been driven most that just moving the car about the lot every so often.

But the problem is still the rust this rust gloms on to the pads and affects the friction between the pads and rotors.

With every new car purchase I always arrange to do a brake bedding in as soon as I can after I buy the car. If possible I do this on the drive home. Because in most cases it so happens I buy a car some distance from my house -- 10 miles, 45 miles, even 90+ miles -- I have plenty of opportunity to perform a brake bedding in operation.

This brake bedding in will heat up the pads and allow the more volatile compounds to turn into gas and thus leave the pad material. The bedding in can also remove the light coating of rust on the pad surfaces.

The brakes might still squeal lightly due to as I touched upon from dust build up on the piston dust boots or just because some brake squeal can be normal. But you need to bed in the brakes -- provided of course you have not already done this -- and get them started -- albeit belatedly -- on the road to a long and trouble free service life and probably -- based on my experience over the years with factory brakes -- a reasonably and acceptable quiet service life.

Thank you for your reply on this and info. I will definitely try to bedd them as the weather has been crap until today. Going to pass by my friends shop and check the lug torque as well as i am getting some tick on any light turns. You all have been great and i really appreciate the feedback and help on this!

2019 Challenger 392 Shaker
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:58 PM

You really need to get the brakes bedded. Rain or shine, its not hard or unsafe to do, barring ridiculous driving. The ticking is probably a rock in the tread. A quick turn on a back road should do it. No; I do not mean the fist sized rock that I bashed through the center tread of my 4X4, driving down a creek that actually held air. It made a ticking sound too, on the way home.

I just did a 2013 Dart with rotted dust covers on the rear brakes, I mean rotted down to the rim. You need to get the brakes hot to boil off the water, melt and flow the grease, and anything else that's there. Driving in super gentle mode all the time causes its own set of unique problems.

It's OK, you can wail on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
You really need to get the brakes bedded. Rain or shine, its not hard or unsafe to do, barring ridiculous driving. The ticking is probably a rock in the tread. A quick turn on a back road should do it. No; I do not mean the fist sized rock that I bashed through the center tread of my 4X4, driving down a creek that actually held air. It made a ticking sound too, on the way home.

I just did a 2013 Dart with rotted dust covers on the rear brakes, I mean rotted down to the rim. You need to get the brakes hot to boil off the water, melt and flow the grease, and anything else that's there. Driving in super gentle mode all the time causes its own set of unique problems.

It's OK, you can wail on it!

Thanks for your reply, The ticking noise was caused by the lug nuts not being tightens to correct torque, They were off some on the fronts causing the lug nuts to click hence the tick noise that was being produced. I ended up going down to my local tire shop and he corrected the issue and no more noise at this time. I still need to bed the brakes, hopefully later today.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I left my car with a Dealer for 10 days (I was on a business trip) and they came back and said the squeak was normal... At SEMA I talked to the guy at Brembo and all he could say that I needed to discuss it with FCA. I should of grabbed the guy from Dodge but I was too busy admiring the Hellaphant.

Bedding and StopTech DiscQuiet Pad's did help minimize but it always comes back within a 100 miles. My next step within a couple of weeks is to replace the Rotor and Pads with Power Stop.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yea this sucks, Everyday this squealing is just really annoying and really not sure what to do at this point. Normal or not i know the dealer would do nothing so i have to figure a way to either fix it myself or swap to Powerstops which i dont want to do as i will cost hundreds for all four pads installed in my area. I have now about 2800 miles.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
Yea this sucks, Everyday this squealing is just really annoying and really not sure what to do at this point. Normal or not i know the dealer would do nothing so i have to figure a way to either fix it myself or swap to Powerstops which i dont want to do as i will cost hundreds for all four pads installed in my area. I have now about 2800 miles.
I did the PowerStop (Rotor and Pads), and just like that (after bedding) the squeak is 100% gone. I did all 4 calipers at the same time and I was teaching my son how to do the work and that took us 4 hours. I would imagine if I didn't worry about cleaning the wheels and cleaning the calipers, I probably could have knocked off another hour.
If you have the tools to remove the tire then you are already 50% there. The only thing additional that you would need is a punch pin to remove the pad's and a break bar to help start removing the 2 bolts behind the caliper. There are some good youtube video's up on how to do it. It doesn't require an impact wrench but it would of helped.
Either do it yourself or have a handy mechanical friend. It will only end up costing a 12 pack of beer and pizza.

Here's what I will tell you is that it's the f'n Brembo rotors which are slit directional (take a picture of the passenger side, then the driver side), you'll see them going in opposite directions. The dealer will tell you they are non-directional but it's the internal cooling which are non-directional. It's the dam slits on one side causing the squeaking. I'm betting the farm on this and I'll put the original Brembo Pad's back on when I'm ready to humor myself as I took them off at 5,000 miles and have them stored away.

and BTW the PowerStop rotors don't seem to build up rust as fast as the Brembo's.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Here is a trick you an do yourself.

Remove the brake pads and put nickel anti seize on the back side of the pads, and reassemble. Bet it goes away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode