Broken rear cradle bolt nightmare *Need assistance - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Broken rear cradle bolt nightmare *Need assistance

Yesterday I set out to install Petty's front/rear sway bars and front/rear strut tower bars. I was hoping to be able to post pictures with excitement but as luck would have it, this is not the case.

I installed the rear sway bar and was torquing the cradle bolts. I snugged all four down and used a torque wrench to torque them. I got to the final bolt (in the front) and the bolt snapped. I have never had such a good day go to shit so fast. I feel completely defeated and need advice on how to fix this.

I have attached pictures of the broken bolt and the location of where it goes.

How would you recommend fixing this? I have fixed broken bolts before but never in a spot like this.

Is my car even drivable if I decide to take it to a dealer to fix?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_194030.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	943601   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_190305.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	943603  

2015 Scat Pack
8-speed auto, black on black, SP appearance group, leather, sound group II, Mopar stage 1 performance springs, DFS wickerbill, Luxe reflector tint, Tredwear tire letters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:08 PM

Garage
Might have to drop the cradle down again to gain access to what's left of the bolt. If there is enough left sticking out, you might be able to grab it with a good set of vice grips, or weld a nut on the end of it. If there isn't enough to grab on to, it's going to be a challenge. It may require an extractor set, or drilling a pilot hole in the center and hammering a torx socket into it to grab on. Then push it into it as you loosen. If that's something you're not comfortable doing, definitely take it to a shop.

At least you know it's not seized, and without the head of the bolt, there shouldn't be much torque on it.

Maybe consider replacing all of the cradle bolts.

Edit: Just looking at your picture, that looks like the diff mounting bolt location. Is that what you broke?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG

Last edited by BlackHemi41; 04-14-2019 at 01:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackHemi41 For This Useful Post:
Janson (04-17-2019)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHemi41 View Post

Edit: Just looking at your picture, that looks like the diff mounting bolt location. Is that what you broke?
Thanks for the advice BlackHemi41... Yes it is the differential mounting bolt location that snapped. I dont believe there is any threads hanging out but will take a better look today. It broke at the end of the day Saturday after working on the car all day. I was demoralized and tired so I called it quits.

I found out what i did wrong. Dodge calls the two bolts on the front of the cradle (near the differential) the rear axle forward mount isolator bolts (see attached image). Their torque specifications for those bolts is only 52 lbs. I confused this with the rear crossmember bolts and over torqued them.

I am capable of dropping the cradle but my fear is that to extract this I would have to fully drop it and get it out of the way which may be more than I want to do on my garage floor. At this point I am going to reach out to the dealer as well in case it looks like I can't get to the threads. I'm so disappointed in myself for making such a stupid mistake. Either way, life goes on.. Hopefully this will help others out.

If anyone has any additional advice feel free to let me know. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear axle forward mount isolator bolts.PNG
Views:	95
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	943649  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Looks like you will need to just drop the diff and use a left-hand drill with a screw extractor. If there is a little of the bolt sticking out I have had success welding a nut (need a nut with a larger i.d. than the bolt o.d.) to the bolt and backing it out. Good luck man!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
The Following User Says Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
Janson (04-17-2019)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM

Garage
Yeah I was kinda wondering about that. Not just lower torque value but those diff isolator bolts are only one time use as well. It sucks but **** happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackHemi41 For This Useful Post:
Janson (04-17-2019)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:55 AM

Garage
I would definitely try a left hand screw extractor before dropping the craddle.

2014 R/T M6 - Granite Crystal
LMI True CAI V2, MM 87mm Ported TB, Port matched intake manifold, JBA Long Tube Headers, JBA midpies w/ Cat delete, SLP loudmouth I, 180 TStat, Custom Tune by Heldenburg's, Staggered TSW Tremblant on Nitto NT555 G2, KW Suspension Coilovers
The Following User Says Thank You to SlammedRT For This Useful Post:
Janson (04-17-2019)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedRT View Post
I would definitely try a left hand screw extractor before dropping the craddle.
I did some research and dropping the rear diff doesnt seem so bad. Hopefully, the bolt plays nice and is easy to remove. I used my endoscope to get a better picture of the snapped bolt. It looks like a pretty clean snap. There is a small ridge so i may try to soak in pb blaster and use a punch to see if i can tap it at an angle to get it to spin back out. If not, I will try left handed drill bits.

Now if I can only find the bolts in time.. Steve white didnt have the "single use" driveshaft bolts in stock. I didnt even ask about the isolator bolts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	diff1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	943741  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:46 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janson View Post
I did some research and dropping the rear diff doesnt seem so bad. Hopefully, the bolt plays nice and is easy to remove. I used my endoscope to get a better picture of the snapped bolt. It looks like a pretty clean snap. There is a small ridge so i may try to soak in pb blaster and use a punch to see if i can tap it at an angle to get it to spin back out. If not, I will try left handed drill bits.

Now if I can only find the bolts in time.. Steve white didnt have the "single use" driveshaft bolts in stock. I didnt even ask about the isolator bolts.
Looks like a perfect candidate for a screw extractor. Although, I have only used the square type extractor.

The Following User Says Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
Janson (04-17-2019)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
Looks like a perfect candidate for a screw extractor. Although, I have only used the square type extractor.

yeah I would use a left handed drill bit to set your pilot for the extractor. Based on the design of that bolt and how it snapped you may get lucky and have it come out just by using the left handed drill bit.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:50 PM

Let us know how it turns out Janson.

Best of Luck to you!

Some people just gotta be different...
The Following User Says Thank You to 409 Fever For This Useful Post:
Janson (04-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
cradle , rear differential , sway bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode