Intermittent Ticking - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Intermittent Ticking

Hey guys, just recently picked up a slightly used (4k miles) 2018 Scat Pak Shaker 6MT. I love the car so far, and have had multiple camaro's and mustangs so not a stranger to some weird noises, but after driving the car hard today I noticed a slight intermittent ticking (sounds like the normal valve tick but was fading in and out every couple seconds). Is this normal? Its our first performance Dodge (we have had multiple jeeps). Thanks!

(edit- traded a 17 camaro SS for it, which was also noisy but the noise was a consistent tick)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_154141.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	946941   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_153633.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	946943  
bizlipkick is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to bizlipkick For This Useful Post:
Fawls (06-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Solidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North Florida
Posts: 158
Thanks: 10
Thanked 53 Times in 37 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlipkick View Post
Hey guys, just recently picked up a slightly used (4k miles) 2018 Scat Pak Shaker 6MT. I love the car so far, and have had multiple camaro's and mustangs so not a stranger to some weird noises, but after driving the car hard today I noticed a slight intermittent ticking (sounds like the normal valve tick but was fading in and out every couple seconds). Is this normal? Its our first performance Dodge (we have had multiple jeeps). Thanks!

(edit- traded a 17 camaro SS for it, which was also noisy but the noise was a consistent tick)

Congrats on the beautiful ride That slight lifter tick is normal intermittently. A constant pronounced tick is a sign of a bad lifter. All Hemi's have intermittent ticks. Congrats again and welcome to the Dodge family.......
Solidman is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Solidman For This Useful Post:
Bob Ricewasser (06-07-2019)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Tshane72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,921
Thanks: 143
Thanked 276 Times in 252 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Welcome! Beautiful Challenger you got there!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Living my life....one quarter mile at a time
Tshane72 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:46 PM
Senior Member
 
BlackHemi41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,695
Thanks: 687
Thanked 598 Times in 401 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlipkick View Post
Hey guys, just recently picked up a slightly used (4k miles) 2018 Scat Pak Shaker 6MT. I love the car so far, and have had multiple camaro's and mustangs so not a stranger to some weird noises, but after driving the car hard today I noticed a slight intermittent ticking (sounds like the normal valve tick but was fading in and out every couple seconds). Is this normal? Its our first performance Dodge (we have had multiple jeeps). Thanks!

(edit- traded a 17 camaro SS for it, which was also noisy but the noise was a consistent tick)
Welcome! But we can't hear this ticking without a video or audio of it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
BlackHemi41 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHemi41 View Post
Welcome! But we can't hear this ticking without a video or audio of it.
Yea I was in a Taco Bell Drive thru so didn't whip the camera out, but it sounded like a Direct Injection tick just intermittent, and from the sounds of it it is normal, so not worried! got 4 years of warranty left. And thanks everyone for the compliments, I have had 3 mustang 5.0's and 4 camaro's (including 2 1LE's) and I have never gotten the attention this car has gotten.
bizlipkick is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,058
Thanks: 0
Thanked 245 Times in 201 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlipkick View Post
Yea I was in a Taco Bell Drive thru so didn't whip the camera out, but it sounded like a Direct Injection tick just intermittent, and from the sounds of it it is normal, so not worried! got 4 years of warranty left. And thanks everyone for the compliments, I have had 3 mustang 5.0's and 4 camaro's (including 2 1LE's) and I have never gotten the attention this car has gotten.

A drive thru really magnifies engine noise. A car wash bay likewise. Or a garage.



If the noise is indistinct with no real source you can pinpoint probably normal.


Since the car is an unknown to you unless you have records and know the oil is fresh and of the right type my advice is to treat the engine to an oil/filter service. Oil with miles it makes for a noise (or noisier) engine.
Rockster is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
MiHiHemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 813
Thanks: 172
Thanked 231 Times in 164 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Before doing anything drastic, verify it's not your exhaust manifold/gasket. That is a common reason for hearing a tick and often misdiagnosed for something internal.
MiHiHemi is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:08 PM
Member
 
Marks_1320's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 94
Thanks: 24
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Congrats on the new ride.

I have the same intermittent tick on my new Scat 1320. It’s no big deal. It comes and goes too. Only has 1200 miles.

Also, I Just had the oil changed. The car always made the noise.


It sounds like it comes from underneath. Like maybe from the exhaust. Now I’m a little OCD about it. Lol.

Just One time , it ticked/knocked kinda loud when I started it. After it was sitting for an hour, engine still warm. The noise went away after a couple seconds.

https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...k-tick-670999/

That never happened again. Even when I started it after the first oil change. It was quiet.

Last edited by Marks_1320; 06-08-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Marks_1320 is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:55 AM
Senior Member
 
DodgeCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 1,332
Thanks: 159
Thanked 395 Times in 232 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks_1320 View Post
Congrats on the new ride.

I have the same intermittent tick on my new Scat 1320. It’s no big deal. It comes and goes too. Only has 1200 miles.

Also, I Just had the oil changed. The car always made the noise.


It sounds like it comes from underneath. Like maybe from the exhaust. Now I’m a little OCD about it. Lol.

Just One time , it ticked/knocked kinda loud when I started it. After it was sitting for an hour, engine still warm. The noise went away after a couple seconds.

https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...k-tick-670999/

That never happened again. Even when I started it after the first oil change. It was quiet.
If you do end up getting this inspected by the dealer and need an additional layer of assistance while there, let us know.

Jasmine
Dodge Social Care Specialist
DodgeCares is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to DodgeCares For This Useful Post:
Marks_1320 (06-10-2019)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:30 PM
Member
 
Marks_1320's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 94
Thanks: 24
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeCares View Post
If you do end up getting this inspected by the dealer and need an additional layer of assistance while there, let us know.

Jasmine
Dodge Social Care Specialist
Thanks. I will.

But *knock on wood*.
Marks_1320 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome