Lifter Failure - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Douglas Allen Bramble Send a message via Yahoo to Douglas Allen Bramble
(Thread Starter)
Lifter Failure

I just joined the forums and you have all been very welcoming and friendly. Thank you. I'm sure this has been beat to death. Please move it or direct me elsewhere if needed. So I bought Challenger R/T a month and a half ago after my RAM was Lemon Lawed for lifter failure twice all with in 20k miles brand new. After I got my Challenger I put about 600 miles on it and heard the same tick and saw the same RPM idle issues I had in the truck. Took it in and sure enough lifter failure and the cam lobe was being chewed up. This is of course covered under warranty, bit my question is how common is this, and how long for parts and repair? They have now had her for 3 weeks and they are saying 2-3 more weeks before the tappet comes in to complete repairs. Please I'd love to hear others stories and what you eventually did. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
What year is the car? And was it new or pre-owned?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cars:

Bright White 2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker A8. Mods: SRT Steering Wheel Swap, Petty's Strut Tower Brace, BT Catch Can, Custom Stripes, 20% Window Tints, Tinted Tail Reflectors and Side Markers

Titanium 2010 Challenger SE. Mods: JBA Headers, K&N CAI, Ported Throttle Body, Magnaflow Cat Back, DS 91 Octane Tune - Sold
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Douglas Allen Bramble Send a message via Yahoo to Douglas Allen Bramble
(Thread Starter)
2016 it was pre-owned, I assume that it was already showing wear before I just didn't notice it right away. Any other details needed just ask. Thanks for the response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:18 AM

There's no incentive ($$$) for the dealership to fix your car so it's probably been moved to the bottom of the Service Department's in-box a couple of times already. Until such time that they're really slow, expect the "waiting on a part" excuse...
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ohhhh wow. Its sad how much that makes sense.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:28 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not uncommon for factory replacement parts to be back ordered. Had a lifter failure on my 2016 also. Was originally going to be 2 months for the replacement to come in. Ask your service advisor about the possibility of replacing with an aftermarket part.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:17 AM

Warranty work always gets pushed to the back unless it's a job the tech can beat the book time. Techs get paid book time whether they beat it or not. It's incentive to be fast and warranty work typically is not.

'10 Challenger R/T Classic
Flowmaster Force II cat back, K&N branded CAI with Amsoil dry synthetic filter, Diablo Predator 91 CAI tune,
Mopar '11+ IAT sensor, Mopar hood struts, RPI stealth guards, R/T spoiler emblem

post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve37887 View Post
Not uncommon for factory replacement parts to be back ordered. Had a lifter failure on my 2016 also. Was originally going to be 2 months for the replacement to come in. Ask your service advisor about the possibility of replacing with an aftermarket part.

I asked about that, and was told that I would have to pay out of pocket because they already ordered the parts. It's been a fight. I actually said something on facebook, and Dodge jumped quick to send a customer service rep my way and he says he is escalating the parts. They have also offered me oil change packages, a travel package and extended warranty packages to compensate the fact that it's been a month and I dealt with this with the truck as well. How has your new lifters treated you, how many miles on it now if you don't mind me asking.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Also ordered a DiabloSport Tuner will turning the MDS off help on the new ones?
The Following User Says Thank You to Douglas Allen Bramble For This Useful Post:
Parrott_350 (06-17-2019)
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve37887 View Post

I wonder how long it would take if the OP's car was not under factory warranty..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode