My R/T's Rusting Away - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
My R/T's Rusting Away

Have had my Challenger R/T Classic for 8.5 years now and have found the rocker panels and fenders in front of the rear wheel wells bubbling rust from under the paint. Sooooo disappointed as I used the best wax, kept it super clean and yes I live in the snow belt but so do my sons with each having a BMW with more than 200K miles on them and no rust.

Have been babying the car from day one in 2010. Have made a deal on a new Challenger R/T with a trade in for my car and will pull the plug on the purchase tomorrow as I can't trust it from not happening again. $45K will be put to better use with a better quality car. Ours cars aren't cheap and that kind of money will buy something that will last longer.

Love my Challenger but not happy with the quality and the what seems to be a known problem which hasn't been resolved. Seems to be the an issue with the sound deadening material in the rocker panels will cause the rust.

Really sucks. Just put in $800 for brakes and rotors and over more for new shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 08:26 PM

Garage
I'm sorry this happened to you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017 Challenger GT - Go Mango - Technology Group - Driver Convenience Group - GT Interior Package - Uconnect 8.4 with NAV
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:20 PM

It's a design flaw, in my opinion. The rocker and lower area in front of the rear tire are filled with a ridged foam. Water can wick its way in and just sit there causing corrosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:22 AM

Garage
I’m not trying to stick up for Dodge but I’m up in New England (mass)and they have been pre-treating the roads with liquid calcium chloride type spray.They put it on a few days before the snow and anything on the vehicles that don’t have a good paint on them (frame, calipers, driveshaft, etc)turns to pure rust.my 2016 JK Jeep I go under the car every spring and blast all the rust spots with rattle cans to keep it from getting eaten away.

2014 RT 5.7 6 SPEED super trak pak magnaflow cat back front and rear strut tower braces and bolt on subframe connectors (pettys garage)and moroso catch can.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,755 Times in 1,887 Posts
Garage
This has been an ongoing problem from some owners who drive their cars daily in snow belt areas. The following thread illustrates the foam culprit and the repair of the affected area. Does anyone know if this problem has been corrected on the newer models?

https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...d-rust-263257/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 05:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
This has been an ongoing problem from some owners who drive their cars daily in snow belt areas. The following thread illustrates the foam culprit and the repair of the affected area. Does anyone know if this problem has been corrected on the newer models?

https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...d-rust-263257/
Nothing much has changed...

"There goes the Challenger being chased by the blue, blue meanies on wheels." - Vanishing Point (1971)
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg166320 View Post
I’m not trying to stick up for Dodge but I’m up in New England (mass)and they have been pre-treating the roads with liquid calcium chloride type spray.They put it on a few days before the snow and anything on the vehicles that don’t have a good paint on them (frame, calipers, driveshaft, etc)turns to pure rust.my 2016 JK Jeep I go under the car every spring and blast all the rust spots with rattle cans to keep it from getting eaten away.
Yup!

You just can't OVER-STATE the damage this crap does. It's WAY WORSE than regular road salt alone. It goes on as a liquid and it's ability to find it's way into every opening available is CRAZY bad on a wet road.

Fluid Film is my solution for my truck too but cars are way tougher. Much harder to get to areas like the back of fenders.

Ultimately........this thread and the topic illustrate the reason so many of us up here in the North park our cars each November at the first signs of "treated" road surfaces.

It makes a huge difference.......and attempting to save a winter use vehicle is really a losing effort. You either do NOTHING and watch it happen quickly or you take steps to delay the inevitable to a CRAWL but it still happens over time anyway.

Safety vs longevity is the issue here. It's not about how Dodge builds the car.

As much as I hate what happens to year around driven vehicles up here........we've also seen what happens down south in a freakish cold snap complete with just a little frozen rain or snow. If you live in Atlanta maybe a couple of days where city just shuts down each winter is a reasonable trade off to save the cars and trucks........up here in a Cities like Boston, New York or Chicago........that same shut down would be measured in entire months.

No point whining about it.......just get another vehicle for the winter or admit that maybe the Challenger and cars like it are a poor choices for you if this isn't an option or possible.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 07:59 AM

We have 01, 03, 05 Mazada Tributes (used for rural mail routes in MO, abused in every way), 06 Trailblazer, 09 Aveo. All 5 cars without rust. There is no excuse for the Challenger rust issues. I also have a 2017 Challenger but it is a garage queen.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:17 AM

I've heard FCA has addressed the problem on the 2015's and newer by using a tighter wheel well liner to reduce water intrusion into the foamed rocker areas. Guess we'll see in a few years if that's true.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0299.jpg
Views:	2324
Size:	554.5 KB
ID:	929047   Click image for larger version

Name:	958.jpg
Views:	2294
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	929049  
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol fart View Post
We have 01, 03, 05 Mazada Tributes (used for rural mail routes in MO, abused in every way), 06 Trailblazer, 09 Aveo. All 5 cars without rust. There is no excuse for the Challenger rust issues. I also have a 2017 Challenger but it is a garage queen.
Maybe.....but these are cars we like to keep looking good and wrenching on.........neither scenario is compatible with winter in the North.

A car or truck driven in the salt,sand and snow....... will become a POS over time. Sporty, Pretty, Plain Jane or just controversial ugly.......they all end up CRAP vs what they were when NEW after New England winter hits them a few times.

Even if the rust isn't immediately visible on the body panels........the issue still exists. I had to cut shocks out of a 3 year old Ford truck with a torch recently for my nephew......The Truck still looks pretty good but the damage under-neither is already there and while it's still a long way from failing an inspection......it is now more difficult to work on than it should be for a truck that has just 25,000 miles on it and has only been on the road for 3 years.......that's what winter up here does though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode