New 2019 Challenger r/t 5.7 - Advice or Help - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
New 2019 Challenger r/t 5.7 - Advice or Help

I’m new to challenger family and looking for some advice. I’ve always wanted a muscle car and after years of talking myself out of it, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a new challenger. I toyed with the idea of buying a used but decided in the end to purchase new. Not knowing anything about these cars personally and watching hours of reviews of Challenger, Mustang and Camaro I decided this car fit me best. Took it for a test drive and loved how it drove and looked. There were a couple of things during my test drive that didn’t seem right but salesperson didn’t seem concerned and said he thought this was normal or couldn’t hear it. First, the exhaust. At about 2k rpm or so I heard a rattle. It took a way from the awesome sound. Seemed odd but thought it was just me. As I never drove one before. Then, the ticking that I could hear from inside the car. I thought it was the radio or something from dash but then noticed it changed with car revs. Asked the dealer and he didn’t seem to hear it and said it was normal. Anyway, in the end I loved the car and chalked it up as me not knowing anything about these type cars and I got it. I drove drove it home from dealer which was about a 3 hours drive. Was proud and happy and loved it! I did still hear these things and they really bugged me but thought this was all in my head. Fast forward a couple of days and I started thinking this can’t be right, a new car with these sounds can’t be by design. Surely that’s why people by these, the way it looks, drives and sounds. So I went to trusty google. Turns out the exhaust thing isn’t normal. Pulled the 36 fuse with exhaust opened and bingo. No more rattling! I somehow have to explain this to the dealer at my appointment next Friday. However, the ticking on the other hand has been hit or miss on the google search. I find it very noticeable. Doesn’t sound like something is about to beak, just sounds wrong when stereo is off and driving on highway. A constant ticking. My wife says let it go but this can’t be normal. A brand new car that sounds like that. I’ve heard many say change the oil with certain brands and it’s goes away? I will be asking the dealer and I’m guessing there going to says it normal but can some advise me what they would do. It’s honesty setting me crazy. Thanks for any advice you can offer me

Ps I still love my new challenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:04 AM

Garage
Years ago I checked out a new 2001 Camaro Z28 SS. The instant the salesman started the engine I knew from the exhaust sound something was wrong with the exhaust. I said something about the noise -- and it was noise -- and the salesman calmly told me that's the way they all sounded. I knew better and walked away without even a test drive.

As for the ticking, these engines can be noisy. It is their nature. And one noise can be ticking.

Have to say right up front I am not a fan of experimenting with oils to try to find one that quiets an engine. The engine as it comes from the factory with the factory fill oil should be quiet, that is manifest no more than the usual amount of internal combustion engine noise.

Back to the tick. The trick is to distinguish between what is normal and what is not normal. What is normal is just a background of various ticking noises with no particular noise standing out.

But if you hear that "tick" that stands out that may not be normal. I say "may" because what can happen is the mind focuses on that one tick and it stands out but because of this focus.

My general rule is if I can't hear the noise, the tick, in a closed cabin it doesn't exist. But if the tick ever became noticeable from inside the closed cabin then I'd worry. So far with a number of cars this has never happened.

If you have a family member or friend whose opinion you trust have him or her give a listen and offer an opinion as to whether the ticking is well, normal or abnormal. Trouble is if you ask 6 people this you'll get 7 different answers.

You could take the car in. This might be the best course of action. You should not have to live with the concern about this "tick" hanging over you. Be prepared to be told "they all do that". If you get this then ask this be demonstrated by having a similar car's engine started and run.

If you take the car in unless it can be demonstrated they all do this noise you must stress you have lost all enjoyment from driving the car because of this noise. Because it is abnormal you can't be sure it is not the early signs of a more serious problem like -- worst case -- total engine failure that can result in possibly an accident. Even just stranding you on a busy freeway given how there are a number of distracted drivers is a safety risk.

You have to be prepared to leave the car. If the dealer can get you to leave with the car you lose as it knows it can just stall and you'll relent.

On this same note when you go to pick up the car just assume the problem will not have been addressed. Give the car a thorough shake down drive to give the engine plenty of time to manifest any untoward noises. If the noise comes back refuse to accept the car.

The dealer is not striving to win the customer service of the year award only just getting you to go away.

You want to be sure the initial paperwork getting the car into service for this noise states why the car is being looked at. You want it noted on the paper work you have lost all enjoyment of the use of the car and are concerned about your safety in the car. Even if you have to write this on the work order before you sign the order. And you must get a copy of this work order with this noted on it.

You want to get something in writing after that lists the service department's findings. If the noise is deemed normal it must say this and it must say something to the effect the noise is not a precursor to something more serious and the car is safe to continue to use/drive.

I have to stress what you are told counts for nothing. You must have something in black and white.

I don't intend this to be alarmist but you need to research lemon law in your area/state and start gathering what you need to build a case. While I doubt it will come to this just in case it is better to start this and not need it vs. not start it and after months of having this noise problem not dealt with realize you should have done this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:46 AM

Try the middle grade gas, mine ticks if i use the lower grade gas.....can't hurt to try it....hopefully they got the water pump thing solved? Had mine replaced around 17,000-ish miles...made a grinding noise....was under warranty.....still love the thing! .....have fun with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I’ve only been using supreme fuel thus far. Top grade. Been no change in the ticking noise. Only had the car for a week and a bit and around 800km on it so far. Been pretty easy with it while it’s still new. Just went for a drive and it’s all I’m listening for. When i get something in my head it’s hard to let it go. I’m pretty sure it’s nothing but still. I feel a new car should we quiet, minus the sound that comes out of the back of her. Thanks for the advise.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctibbo View Post
I’ve only been using supreme fuel thus far. Top grade. Been no change in the ticking noise. Only had the car for a week and a bit and around 800km on it so far. Been pretty easy with it while it’s still new. Just went for a drive and it’s all I’m listening for. When i get something in my head it’s hard to let it go. I’m pretty sure it’s nothing but still. I feel a new car should we quiet, minus the sound that comes out of the back of her. Thanks for the advise.
I think you're wasting your money on top grade (premium) fuel. I believe these engines call for mid-grade. Check your owners manual.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzsrt392 View Post
I think you're wasting your money on top grade (premium) fuel. I believe these engines call for mid-grade. Check your owners manual.
I know the MT6 requires 91. The Auto it is recommended to use 89. I have a MT6 so I use 93 as we can't get 91 in my area.

Guess it depends on which transmission he has.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Anyone else have new or newer 5.7 MT6. Is it quiet inside the car. Can you hear ticking or motor noises up front or just exhaust from the back?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Anyone else have new or newer 5.7 MT6. Is it quiet inside the car. Can you hear ticking or motor noises up front or just exhaust from the back?
I have. A '14 MT6 and I don't have the hemi tick.

My '04 Durango has the hemi tick. I really don't know what it is but it has been doing it since I bought it new. It has 95,000 miles now and never had a problem.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:31 PM

i agree with him....no top grade gas, but give it a while to get the gas out that's in it before the middle grade kicks in....who knows what is in it??.....kind'a like my ex wife, after 20 years i know i wasted my time!...she wanted top grade, i only had middle grade...lmao!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:45 PM

Thanked 3,755 Times in 2,824 Posts
Quote:
My 14 M6 had the tick or really more like the sewing machine sound. Yeah definitely aggravating and some have it and some don't.

I believe its something in the valvetrain, lifters or pushrods where there is just excessive clearance or slop and with today's non-adjustable valvetrain there's no way to get rid of it.

There was someone here years ago that had adjustable pushrods installed and that solved the tick, at least temporarily.

So I don't think it's normal at all, somewhere in your engine's valvetrain there is something out of spec and there's more clearance than there should be and this is the tick you are hearing. It may last forever but that still doesn't make it right imho, I'd go to the dealer and have them fire up another 5.7L a d if it doesn't tick then they need to be fixing my engine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode