Several erratic issues - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 10:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 173
Thanks: 158
Thanked 29 Times in 28 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I bought a used low mile CTS awd coupe that had intermittent electrical gremlins. It would not start, basically acting like the battery was bad. I tried a new battery, battery cables etc. Also the dash would go blank, no functioning gauges with all the idiot lights on. There were no codes that I could pull with Hp tuners and found no one on Cadillac forums who had the same issues. The problem would manifest, I would drive directly to dealership, and EVERY DAMN TIME the car would go back to normal once I pulled into dealer lot. I traded it in on my ordered 16 scat pack and actually received full trade value even though I disclosed everything it does when acting up.

Somebody was being totally unscrupulous with the handling of the RT for it to end up in your hands in the state that it is. I’d be furious because of all the time the car was in the shop, depriving you of the use of your new to you car. I hope you get it quickly resolved and purchase the car that makes you most happy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brewcitygymratt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Update on the Challenger

Well, here we are 4 months later and guess what....the car is still broken. After the last failed repair attempt in August, I basically parked the car under the carport and focused on my mom's declining health issues. With her situation somewhat settled, two weeks ago I returned my attention back to my hemi powered paper weight. Per FCA customer care's suggestion, I had the car towed on Nov 1st to a different Dodge dealership and its been there ever since. Last report from them is they replicated the power steering failure but found no cause yet. As of today it's been in the shop over 70 days since the beginning of June.

Next week I consult my attorney for clarification on Texas lemon laws regarding used car purchases and what my options are.


Last edited by fastercat; 11-13-2018 at 11:18 PM.
fastercat is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 04:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Mud Yapster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 362
Thanks: 2
Thanked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stop making payments on it and let the bank repo it.
Hope you financed it thru FCA. That would be great since they won't/can't fix the car. Let them repo their own car.
I know I'd have a hard time making a payment on a 4000# paper weight.
I've never defaulted on any loan in my 55yrs but I think I would ponder the idea if in your shoes and getting no support from Dodge.
You would think lemon law or buy back would be easy considering the amount of time sitting at a dealer with no results.
I'd be talking to a lawyer quick and get this resolved.
I once bought a new Lexus and a few months later the paint was coming off around the door handle. Took it in and dealer refused the repair saying it had been recked and car had been repainted. 6 yr paint warranty and car had 1700 miles on it and bought it new with 2 miles on it. Called a Corporate Lawyer and had a new car in less than 60 days and Toyota Lexus had to pay all expenses and my lawyer's fees $500 plus an hour. The new Lexus I received we drove for 150,000s without an issue. So hang in there and call a corporate lawyer that's what I did in my case. Good luck and keep us posted.

2018 SXT Plus Granite Crystal Metallic
2017 Maverick XMR 1000R
2015 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4 Aisin
2014 Palomino Columbia 43' TH
Mud Yapster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:07 AM
Senior Member
 
DodgeCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 1,340
Thanks: 159
Thanked 397 Times in 234 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastercat View Post
Well, here we are 4 months later and guess what....the car is still broken. After the last failed repair attempt in August, I basically parked the car under the carport and focused on my mom's declining health issues. With her situation somewhat settled, two weeks ago I returned my attention back to my hemi powered paper weight. Per FCA customer care's suggestion, I had the car towed on Nov 1st to a different Dodge dealership and its been there ever since. Last report from them is they replicated the power steering failure but found no cause yet. As of today it's been in the shop over 70 days since the beginning of June.

Next week I consult my attorney for clarification on Texas lemon laws regarding used car purchases and what my options are.

Hey fastercat,

I apologize we're just now seeing this. Please send us a PM with your VIN (or case number) and the name of your dealership so we can look into this right away.

Jennifer
Dodge Social Care Specialist
DodgeCares is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to DodgeCares For This Useful Post:
Byron (11-14-2018)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 156
Thanks: 18
Thanked 51 Times in 29 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What happened the first time you sent the Lemon Law demand letter to Dodge? That was four months ago.


Exhaust all your options under Texas Lemon Law before doing anything else.

1968 Dodge Charger R/T
2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack
2017 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi
ygbsm is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Yapster View Post
Stop making payments on it and let the bank repo it.
Hope you financed it thru FCA. That would be great since they won't/can't fix the car. Let them repo their own car.
I know I'd have a hard time making a payment on a 4000# paper weight.
I've never defaulted on any loan in my 55yrs but I think I would ponder the idea if in your shoes and getting no support from Dodge.
You would think lemon law or buy back would be easy considering the amount of time sitting at a dealer with no results.
I'd be talking to a lawyer quick and get this resolved.
I once bought a new Lexus and a few months later the paint was coming off around the door handle. Took it in and dealer refused the repair saying it had been recked and car had been repainted. 6 yr paint warranty and car had 1700 miles on it and bought it new with 2 miles on it. Called a Corporate Lawyer and had a new car in less than 60 days and Toyota Lexus had to pay all expenses and my lawyer's fees $500 plus an hour. The new Lexus I received we drove for 150,000s without an issue. So hang in there and call a corporate lawyer that's what I did in my case. Good luck and keep us posted.
Paid cash at one of those large independent used car dealers that specializes in almost new low mileage cars. I'm meeting with my attorney next week to go over my options.
fastercat is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ygbsm View Post
What happened the first time you sent the Lemon Law demand letter to Dodge? That was four months ago.


Exhaust all your options under Texas Lemon Law before doing anything else.

They replied they received my letter and will respond shortly, which never happened. It's now up to me to file a lemon law claim with the state but I'm going to clarify with my attorney exactly what are my options under Texas Lemon law in this situation (used car purchase).

I should've sold it when I had the chance. It just so happens the first dealer that tried 4 unsuccessful times to fix it sent me a marketing email wanting to buy my car. I took it up there and the general manager himself made an offer on it. I didn't accept it because I would have lost a grand on it but it sure would've been sweet knowing that those bozos would be stuck with it.
"Oh, the power steering failed? Well, you're a Dodge dealership. Surely you can fix it."
fastercat is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
So I got the car back from the dealer about a week ago and the error still occurs. However the service adviser stated that when the tech started removing the passenger side underdash panel, the error went away. So when it happened to me, i slammed shut the glovebox and voila the malfunction ceased. Since I'm getting nowhere at the dealer, I yanked the under panel and glovebox to have a look for myself.

The adviser claims the tech reconnected all the wiring connectors and even checked the connector pins, however I found this unhooked connector. It looks like it connects to the green connector block but it has a label NHP so I'm not sure of its purpose. I have serious doubts the tech bothered to check these wires considering the glovebox screws were stuck like they haven't been off for a while. I can't imagine Dodge would have intentionally left a connector disconnected like this. These wires don't appear to be Canbus wires so I don't know if they're the cause of the malfunction, but I wiggled and jiggled every wire under the dash but could not cause the error, which hasn't reoccurred since.

If anybody else with a 2018 R/T (and most likely 2015-2017 as well) could check that connector and let me know if and where it should be connected, I'd greatly appreciated it. The green block mounts on the glovebox with white plastic slide tabs. The under panel is held on with 3-4 plastic push pins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodge1IMG_6483-XL.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	934501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodge IMG_6484-X2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	934503  
fastercat is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Well after more interweb searching, it looks like the green connector block is indeed canbus, specifically the front Can-C bus star connector. I still haven't determined if the NHP connector is supposed to be connected or not. I found a pic of the connector disconnected but no corresponding description.

I'm amazed the green connector block is mounted to the back of the glovebox making it susceptible to shocks when shutting the glovebox door. The wires and connectors are flimsy and of small gauge. I'll be focusing my troubleshooting on that connector this weekend. It's currently hanging down in the footwell which may be forcing leverage on the suspect connector and ensuring a good connection, which would explain why it hasn't happened again since I removed the glovebox.

It's incredible an issue such as one loose wire or connector can cause multiple system failures while driving, not to mention the lack of engineered-in fail safes when failures occur.
fastercat is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
A Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 11,378
Thanks: 2,458
Thanked 3,889 Times in 2,936 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
@ChallyTatum has posted this site before

Mopar Connection Repair Kit

A Guy


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
A Guy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matte Black Paint and Vinyl Issues Whhobbs Exterior Discussion / Modifications 3 12-02-2018 07:52 AM
Letter to dodge and issues with my brand new scat pack status Taktics305 Challenger Issues & Problems 22 06-29-2017 07:43 PM
Track Day issues RTWaldo Road Course / Autocross 6 08-19-2016 05:57 PM
Tint - long term issues? Reasons not to have tint? phillm47 General Challenger Discussion 25 07-02-2016 12:35 PM
100th Anny Challenger Issues. Lugnut74 General Challenger Discussion 1 03-20-2014 05:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome