Warranty on used/tuned car w/ engine light? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Warranty on used/tuned car w/ engine light?

This may be a little long, but I appreciate any help or advice I can get.

I got a '10 R/T Classic (auto) from a GM dealership -- they got it at auction. Sold to me with about 23 mos left on bumper to bumper and 47 mos on powertrain from Chrysler.

The car has corsa exhaust and a direct connection intake, but everything else seems original. I'm convinced that it's been tuned though, b/c it shifts hard, sounds great, isn't sluggish at all -- and I took it to the track and got a 13.65. It's a little shaky when sitting at lights, but it's not missing, it's just a little rumble.

On Saturday morning the engine light came on. I thought it was getting extra shaky when I'd let off the brake or let the car roll up in traffic -- it would lurch almost.

I took it to Advance and the guy hooked it up and FREAKED OUT. Told me it was throwing all these mod codes -- timing has been advanced, crankshaft this, camshaft that, wouldn't write anything down for me, but didn't tell me anything was WRONG, just that mods and permanent changes were showing.

He told me I cannot ever take it to Chrysler, my warranty is voided, I have to find a high performance place that understands the car, and I could be doing major engine damage by driving it.

It was running relatively fine, so I drove it. First I unplugged the battery, and for a while the engine light was off. The next time it came on, the ESP BAS and car w/ squiggly tire marks lights came on. ECO will not kick in/turn on, and cruise wouldn't work.

I filled it with gas and after that cruise worked fine. I tried not to really get into it or anything, but it just feels more sluggish already.

I guess my questions are:
1. Have I already possibly reset a tune that may have been on the car?
2. Does tuning/advancing timing void warranties? If so what might I be able to go back to the GM dealer with? They sold me a car with a warranty, and I haven't touched it. They should have been able to catch those codes.
3. If I take it to the dealer and nothing is wrong or they can turn the light off, are they automatically going to change the computer? Do they have to ask me first?
4. I'm trying to read the other threads on the ESP lights, but I haven't seen anything about ECO not coming on. What could be causing that?

Thanks for all of your help!

1967 Dodge Dart 270
2008 Dodge Charger SXT AWD Stone White
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Furious Fuchsia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 07:24 PM

I'd take it back to the gm dealer,they sold the car let them fix it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 10:40 PM

One of the hand held programers can be used to turn off the MDS. Odds are you have a car that has been (tuned) using one. It can be used to read codes too. Did you buy the car as is from the GM dealer? If you are stuck with the car I think I would invest in a car fax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhgoat View Post
One of the hand held programers can be used to turn off the MDS. Odds are you have a car that has been (tuned) using one. It can be used to read codes too. Did you buy the car as is from the GM dealer? If you are stuck with the car I think I would invest in a car fax.
The MDS worked for the first 3k miles, but after the engine light came on and I unplugged the battery, it's not coming on anymore.

I bought it with the advertised warranty, but the warranty is the Chrysler factory warranty (I've since transferred it into my name), so I don't think going there is the right first step.

I have the car fax, it shows the car as a dealer titled car, then a car sold by a dealer at an auction, with one service visit. Yet it had some mods and 15k miles. No way would I have bought it with 15k miles (and bald tires) as-is.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I know it is too late but never buy a used car from a dealer that does not support that brand. Although, that is not saying much since Dodge dealers barely get by fixing Dodges themselves. LOL
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Just drove 7 or so miles to work. MDS works fine, engine light is off, ESP/BAS lights are off.

Roads are wet, so I didn't really have a chance to see whether I think it has the guts it used to have.

Now the question -- I have to drive 500 miles on Thurs/Fri. Should I take it in? Or just resign myself to the fact that I bought Christine?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

the dealer should be able to reflash the PCM for you. I dont think they should void the warranty right off the bat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Classic 6Spd, Blue Streak Pearl, 430N, Sound Group II, STP

Best quotes
Quote:
If the ethanol is the light end of the fuel, maybe we could have a metal pot sitting over an open fire, and pour gas in the pot and let the fire heat it up until the ethanol cooks off
The Following User Says Thank You to mattyj724 For This Useful Post:
70BirdGirl (09-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode