WHY can't I clear a CEL (P0456) on 2011 SRT8?? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
WHY can't I clear a CEL (P0456) on 2011 SRT8??

WHY can't I clear a CEL (P0456) on 2011 SRT8??

Owned this car over a year, and it picks TODAY, the day I need to get an inspection sticker to throw it's first CEL. Are you Fin kidding me? Scanned it, P0456 evap code loose gas cap, probably my own fault since I pump my own gas. NP I'll just clear it with my scanner, put 50 miles on it on a beautiful 65 degree day and get the inspection later. WIN WIN right? WRONG!!!

Neither my scanner, nor the Diablo will clear the dam code. WTF??? I have successfully used my scanner on dozens of cars...never seen it fail.

Yes, I am aware I could simply disco the battery for a bit but don't really feel like reprogramming everything - Bluetooth, etc.

Also learned that remote start gets shut down after 3 seconds with a 'fuel related' CEL. GRRRRRR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:27 PM

Is is stored as a permanent code? If you can't clear it, I suspect it must be. This indicates that the leak still exists and the computer must see three fault free operating cycled before the code will clear. I think you can also do a dtc clear then only need on fault free operating cycle. This is so you can't get around cel issues for inspections by disconnecting the battery or clearing the code.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:03 AM

Key on engine off? Most Mopar the engine can’t be running to clear engine codes.
The Following User Says Thank You to SRT8 Mike For This Useful Post:
A Guy (04-07-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:25 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Permanent codes cannot be cleared by scanners/readers. Only the PCM itself can clear them once the evap monitor runs and achieves the pass criteria.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	943029   Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor 2.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	943031  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 04-07-2019 at 08:29 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
Permanent codes cannot be cleared by scanners/readers. Only the PCM itself can clear them once the evap monitor runs and achieves the pass criteria.
Where does it state it can’t be reset by a scanner? I can reset any codes on almost any car with my Snap On Solus . If the criteria is not met it may not reset. But it will reset and codes. Especially on Chrysler. Through the scanner you can do what they call a battery disconnect without disconnecting the battery or a complete reset which will scan every code in every module and clear them.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 Mike View Post
Where does it state it can’t be reset by a scanner? I can reset any codes on almost any car with my Snap On Solus . If the criteria is not met it may not reset. But it will reset and codes. Especially on Chrysler. Through the scanner you can do what they call a battery disconnect without disconnecting the battery or a complete reset which will scan every code in every module and clear them.
Again, "permanent" codes cannot be cleared by scanners.

https://www.autoserviceworld.com/car...ermanent-dtcs/
https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...erify-repairs/

Next time you try to clear a code, check if it is listed as permanent...I guarantee your Solus or even a dealership tool will not be able to clear the code.

Even HP tuners brings this to everyone's attention
https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ight=permanent

This is why if you have fairly strict emissions in your state that you need to rethink your decision to run cat-less as no amount of disabling DTCs will get rid of O2/Cat codes and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it...except to put the cats back.

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 04-07-2019 at 09:30 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:56 AM

Garage
As others have mentioned the code could be permanent. In this case it can only be cleared by the engine controller after so many warm up cycles with the error condition absent.

A permanent code should not have the CEL on.

Don't know if the presence of a permanent code will have the vehicle failing an inspection.

If the CEL is on though the code is not a permanent code but an active code. And you can clear it but as soon as the engine is started the error condition is detected and the CEL comes right back on with the same error code.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:54 AM

Anything Evap is emissions monitored...hence a permanent code. If you read the first image I posted you will see the fail does not reset until the system sees a valid condition. I am pretty sure the evap monitor shows incomplete. In IL you are allowed 1 incomplete monitor on vehicles 2001 and newer.

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 04-07-2019 at 10:59 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Looks like my Diablo worked. Think I just needed it to be in IGNITION mode but NOT running. Thanks for the input!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:53 PM

Make sure your PCM is IM-ready before you take it in for inspection...otherwise they will not be able to inspect it. IM-readiness prevents the "clear the code and take it to be inspected" trick from happening. Some cars can be a PITA to clear IM-readiness...I've seen it take hundreds of miles of driving to reset the monitors. Most good scan tools will have an IM-readiness scanning capability. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in