2018 SXT Wheel Skins.. - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Exterior Discussion / Modifications Want to change the look and appearance of your Dodge Challenger? This section is for the discussion of any exterior visual modifications. Examples include wheels, custom paint, grills, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you want matte black try plasti-dip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:45 PM

So the outside is clear coat failure? Is this a common issue with just Dodge rims or all the cars?
I'm hoping STS has the stick-on wheel weights instead of clip-on weights. They might say "the clips ons are what we use and what we have" and if that's the case I may have to find a different tire place. I'll find out before I buy the rim skins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_6767.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	947353  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I own an Inferno Red Dodge Challenger SE
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64dartgt View Post
If you want matte black try plasti-dip.
Not a fan of plasti-dip. It always chips then you see speckles of silver under, then you end up having to constantly respray it all the time and it won't hide the obvious pitting. Sanding the oitting before hand it still won't be perfect. Skins appear to be the best option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:37 PM

Sxt wheel skins imp 401x

Jtrosky....answer to your question of how do they mount. You must take take the wheels off the car and remove the center cap. There is a plastic holder that goes into the wheel center from the back and then install the skin and then tighten a wing nut to hold the skins in place. Then install wheel center cap. They are very secure..
NOTE: When it is time to take car in for new tires, make sure to tell the guys that you have wheel skins on so they won't damage them.
They look great...don't know how to post pictures but they look exactly like the picture on Suburban's web site.
The Following User Says Thank You to fasteddie211 For This Useful Post:
jtrosky (06-18-2019)
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:21 AM

Yeah, I have to do something for sure. And I DO NOT want clip on weight balancers OVER the skins. Here another shot of the wheel showing they used the outside weights currently. I didn't even know stick ons on the inside were an option? Do or can stick on come fly off easily or become dislodged from ice and snow over time?

Looks even worse in person up close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48067795561_e377212670_o.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	947381  

Last edited by antman67; 06-15-2019 at 11:31 AM.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:03 PM

You have nothing to worry about with the stick-on weights. They are probably used more often than not nowadays (a lot of wheels *must* use the since there is no lip to attach the clip-on style weights to). All tires places have stick-on weights available. They actually seem more common than the older clip-on weights nowadays. STS will have them and you won't have any issues. They've been on my Impala for years and obviously on my Challenger (both the stock wheels from the factory and the older-style 18" wheels I put on).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Exterior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode