Factory paint defect? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Exterior Discussion / Modifications Want to change the look and appearance of your Dodge Challenger? This section is for the discussion of any exterior visual modifications. Examples include wheels, custom paint, grills, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Factory paint defect?

I've noticed this "circle" in my paint that appears "duller" than the rest of the paint. It almost looks like a palm print or something. Can only see it from this one angle. Tried everything to get rid of it - even claying it, but nothing seems to effect it at all. It almost seems like it's under the clear coat...

Could this be a factory paint defect? If so, would it be covered under warranty? 2018 GT w/6k miles...

It's the mark by the left window reflection....

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:43 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
I've noticed this "circle" in my paint that appears "duller" than the rest of the paint. It almost looks like a palm print or something. Can only see it from this one angle. Tried everything to get rid of it - even claying it, but nothing seems to effect it at all. It almost seems like it's under the clear coat...

Could this be a factory paint defect? If so, would it be covered under warranty? 2018 GT w/6k miles...

Thank you!

Maybe if you raise enough of a fuzz about it. Make sure you can replicate it outside.

I tried to get them to fix thin base coat on one panel and the door and got told my car had aftermarket paint job (which is bullshit) and was then completely ignored.

I'm less than satisfied with Dodge paint to say the least.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_084724.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	943835  

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:20 PM

Had something similar on my black '15 Challenger. It's gone away after a couple years of buffing & waxing although you might want to have a good paint shop give an opinion for peace of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:37 PM

A clay bar isn't going to help with something like this. I can't tell from the picture if it's in the clear, or under it. I would try some compound to buff it to see if that makes it better. If it doesn't, it's most likely under the clear.

2014 Header Orange SRT8 Core w/Vapor package
2004 Phantom Black Metallic GTO
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ
2002 Silverado work Truck
1999 Honda VFR800
2008 CanAm Outlander 650
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Thanked 3,706 Times in 2,788 Posts
Is someone can post it, one of those Brampton videos shows a detail guy at the end of the line buffing out some paint imperfections and he put little swirl circle marks on the paint which were later buffed out and that might be what you have here.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all of the replies - I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidd View Post
Is someone can post it, one of those Brampton videos shows a detail guy at the end of the line buffing out some paint imperfections and he put little swirl circle marks on the paint which were later buffed out and that might be what you have here.

So are you saying that maybe they just forget to buff it out? Just trying to follow you here...

I'll be honest, I don't have any experience with compounds or buffing things out. I may just see what the dealer says first, since i need to take it in for some other small things anyway. I'm just not looking forward to losing my car for a week or so. :-) Also need to figure out where to take it. Not many Dodge dealers nearby (selling dealer is like 45 minutes away). Any advantage to taking it to the selling dealer over any other dealer?

Also - is something like this normally easy to fix? I just don't want them to make things worse trying to fix it. :-)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:08 PM

Using a compound on that would be a very simple job, maybe even a cleaner wax. It is something anyone can do. You can start with something basic like Meguiars which can be found @ just about any Walmart or Parts Store. There are endless machine options out there also but try by hand first. I have not bought any in a long time but I am thinking less than $20

https://youtu.be/3Dydkw9OYwQ
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidd View Post

That's exactly what happened, that's a clear coat burn, the final paint inspection guy stood on it to long..that's what it'll look like when the clear is overheated (cloudy) with a buffer and whatever cut product..you can only see them at certain light angles
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So is that something that can be easily "fixed" by compounding/buffing? Or is it a more involved fix?

Thanks for all of the info - I really appreciate it.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post

Thank you!

Definitely looks like a buff burn in the clear, sucks that it's up top at eye level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Exterior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode