Factory paint defect? - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Exterior Discussion / Modifications Want to change the look and appearance of your Dodge Challenger? This section is for the discussion of any exterior visual modifications. Examples include wheels, custom paint, grills, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
When I took my car to a body shop for repairs after a "minor" accident, I asked the body shop to give me a separate quote to fix this factory paint defect while it was there. They called the next day and said that they took care of the defect free of charge. I think he said that they just buffed and polished it to fix it - just as many had predicted in this thread.

Thanks for all of replies. I'll post a picture of that same area when I get the car back (estimated to be this Thursday, 5/16).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:35 PM

My wife thought I was crazy when I showed her this!!! I have the EXACT same thing on my hood and I can only see it at certain angles. I happened to walk by yesterday and now it’s driving me freaking nuts. I tried to snap a photo but I couldn’t get my camera to pick it up. Of course mine is also where this little black speck is that won’t come out in the middle of this photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6352.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	946271

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,937 Posts
Garage
Don't ever take your car to a detailer to show you all the defects under their led lights unless you are set on having the paint corrected. I actually was having cold feet when I pulled my car into my detailers shop. It was only 3 1/2 months old, and looked so shiny! He proceeded to inspect it to see if it would need a one stage, or two stage correction. He showed me so many factory defects. Sand marks, buffer marks, etc, He says as the car goes down the line, one guy circles defects, and then there are guys who quickly remove them. He says they have like 10-15 seconds for each spot. He showed me small circular marks where "corrections" were made.

And beyond those, which I had never noticed, as shiny as the car was when I dropped it off, it was amazing the transformation after. I was immediately sure my money was well spent. He couldn't correct the orange peel along the side, but the reflection after was amazing

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0658.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	946275

He does multiple hour corrections on brand new Ferraris and McLarens...and they get hand painted. Imagine a mass produced, robot painted car

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
Cominfromcamaro (05-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Don't ever take your car to a detailer to show you all the defects under their led lights unless you are set on having the paint corrected. I actually was having cold feet when I pulled my car into my detailers shop. It was only 3 1/2 months old, and looked so shiny! He proceeded to inspect it to see if it would need a one stage, or two stage correction. He showed me so many factory defects. Sand marks, buffer marks, etc, He says as the car goes down the line, one guy circles defects, and then there are guys who quickly remove them. He says they have like 10-15 seconds for each spot. He showed me small circular marks where "corrections" were made.

And beyond those, which I had never noticed, as shiny as the car was when I dropped it off, it was amazing the transformation after. I was immediately sure my money was well spent. He couldn't correct the orange peel along the side, but the reflection after was amazing

Attachment 946275

He does multiple hour corrections on brand new Ferraris and McLarens...and they get hand painted. Imagine a mass produced, robot painted car

A Guy

Damn you man. Lol. I don’t want to pay someone $1000 to ceramic coat this thing but now I may have to just so they can do all the paint correcting. Ha. My wife will love that!

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,937 Posts
Garage
Don't go by me, I knew I was going to do it before I bought it, I just didn't know it would take a two stage corrections, lol. And my car is black. I can't say the wow factor will be as great on other colors. $1000 to paint correct and coat would be a bargain, at least here in the Bay Area He quoted me 14 hours correction at $75 an hour. All told he said he did around 25 because he's a perfectionist. On second thought, it wasn't worth it, your wife is right

A Guy
The Following User Says Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
Cominfromcamaro (05-27-2019)
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Don't go by me, I knew I was going to do it before I bought it, I just didn't know it would take a two stage corrections, lol. And my car is black. I can't say the wow factor will be as great on other colors. $1000 to paint correct and coat would be a bargain, at least here in the Bay Area He quoted me 14 hours correction at $75 an hour. All told he said he did around 25 because he's a perfectionist. On second thought, it wasn't worth it, your wife is right

A Guy

Lol she’s a beaut! I’m looking into it.

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cominfromcamaro View Post
My wife thought I was crazy when I showed her this!!! I have the EXACT same thing on my hood and I can only see it at certain angles. I happened to walk by yesterday and now it’s driving me freaking nuts. I tried to snap a photo but I couldn’t get my camera to pick it up. Of course mine is also where this little black speck is that won’t come out in the middle of this photo.
Yeah, once I noticed that paint "defect", I couldn't help but notice it every time I walked by the car....

The good news is that it was VERY easily fixed - it only took the body shop a few minutes to completely remove it and they didn't even charge me since I was there for ~$10k in body reapir from a minor accident (minor in "impact", but not minor in cost!!).

So if you just want to get rid of that paint defect, I think it should be relatively inexpensive if you take it to a body shop. If you know how to buff and polish, you can probably fix it yourself in no time at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:39 AM

Factory paint defect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Yeah, once I noticed that paint "defect", I couldn't help but notice it every time I walked by the car....

The good news is that it was VERY easily fixed - it only took the body shop a few minutes to completely remove it and they didn't even charge me since I was there for ~$10k in body reapir from a minor accident (minor in "impact", but not minor in cost!!).

So if you just want to get rid of that paint defect, I think it should be relatively inexpensive if you take it to a body shop. If you know how to buff and polish, you can probably fix it yourself in no time at all.

Awesome! I’ve got all the compound and polish and a buffer so that’s good to know! Thanks!

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:02 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6359.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	946311
Finally captured a photo of it! But I was able to buff it right out and now it’s gone! Thanks again!

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cominfromcamaro View Post
Attachment 946311
Finally captured a photo of it! But I was able to buff it right out and now it’s gone! Thanks again!

Yep - that definitely looks just like mine did. Glad to hear that you were able to get rid of it yourself! :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Exterior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode