GTO Conversion Kits? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Exterior Discussion / Modifications Want to change the look and appearance of your Dodge Challenger? This section is for the discussion of any exterior visual modifications. Examples include wheels, custom paint, grills, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
GTO Conversion Kits?

Hey guys, so odd question, not that I dislike the look of the Dodge Challenger, I love it, I find the 2008/2009 - 2014 Challenger to look like the 1970 version and the 2015+ looks like the 71-72 and I love my 2013 Challenger. I was wondering if (I doubt it though) are there any Challenger/GTO kits? I have been keeping up with news on TransAmDepot and they take Camaros and convert them to TransAms and GTOs. I can see why they Choose the Camaro for the TransAm conversion, TransAm and Camaros are brother, sister cars built on the same platform. A Camaro conversion GTO kit, however, if you look at any of the pictures, well, in my opinion, it looks sort of like a GTO... the front end of the Camaro has a bit of a pike nose going on and the GTO conversion keeps that which to me sort of detracts from the 68-69 GTO look (To me the 68-69 GTO doesn't have a pike nose design if by much or as much as the Camaro has going on for it). Then there's the ass end of the Camaro GTO conversion kit. Again, my opinion but it's bland as ****, too much plastic. So that being said, looking at the Challenger we have today, this car looks more in line with what a GTO can look like and can be. So again (if I haven't asked it yet), is there any Challenger/GTO official conversion kit? Maybe one of the vendors? Or maybe someone knows someone at Mopar, Allpar or Dodge that's been tossing around the idea of making Challenger/GTO or something. I just see the Challenger body doing more justice for the GTO with the right aesthetics than the Camaro. Also the price for that Camaro/GTO conversion kit... Anyways, answer for this and your opinions, maybe if this topic turns into wildfire someone might actually make this a thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:47 PM

Garage
Never hear of one, sort of blasphemy, even more blasphemy than the Camaro to Trans Am thing IMO.

But if people buy the stuff, apparently it's a business so you never know.

I never understood people taking one car and making it into something that never existed (Challengers to 'Cudas or Superbirds, Camaros to Trans Ams, etc.). Your "ass end" comment is right on. There's always an "ass" component to these mutations.

For the money invested, the real solution is buy the "new" muscle car (Challenger, Camaro, Mustang) for your A-to-B car with all the current performance, looks and amenities, then find a real classic for the vehicle that really gets you off. That's what I did...

1968 Camaro convertible, LS1 & T56, Texas Speed 228R cam, 3.73 posi, 17" Torque Thrusts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Scat Pack Shaker Challenger RT, M6, WRT, black leather, Barton shifter, 275 tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:23 PM

I have seen where they take the Camaro and make it into a Trans-am...god awful ugly. But to each his own. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I have not seen any such kits for the Challenger. The car needs nothing else as far as I am concerned. It is by far the best looking of the three pony cars, period.

Living my life....one quarter mile at a time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I hear you guys, again I do love my Challenger and the look of it, but also considering the interest, wouldn't mind. Yes, the look of the Camaro to Trans Am and GTO conversion, well I'll give them that they tried, maybe even got the look, or at least 70-80% of what they are trying to resemble. I just see the Challenger is more in line to complete the conversion. The Superbird and Cuda kits, yes about those. I think the Challenger is just too big for that, but then again in a manner of speaking and similar to what you mentioned Ckaram it's the "understanding" of why, course it is the internet and why bother asking right, I'm just curious is all , No Doubt just saving up the cash and getting an old classic and maybe resto-modding it for today's standards would be the way to go and call it quits then, but curiosity brings question to the table. Tshane72, couldn't agree with you more, Challenger is fine the way it is, but at the same time I feel it could do with some proper justice that Challenger as fine as it is can make the GTO a real looker (Oh you know, those awesome curves and fine lines she has ;D). Thanks for the responses guys, let's see how much more we can get.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,573 Times in 2,711 Posts
Garage
The Camaro to Trans Am at least makes sense. If Pontiac were still around, it would look similar I suppose. But slap some parts on a Camaro and call it anything? Like a Chevelle?

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Now that's an interesting look there A Guy, though like you mentioned, slap some parts on a car. In some cases, I can see how that won't be very effective and could possibly just look too similar to another model without really adding any kind of originality to it, I believe the LeMans and the GTO had this issue. On the subject of cars and conversion kit mods, If memory serves me right, didn't Dodge take one of their Challengers and gave it a cosmetic makeover and created a Dodge Challenger Diamante. to me, truly a beautiful and built on the already gorgeous Challenger platform. So that is also something to toss around. If not a GTO conversion kit, possibly a Diamante conversion kit. I agree the Challenger is already a gorgeous eye catcher and doesn't really need mods, but we're talking about possibilities here and a potential for an equally stunning and attractive car built on the same platform as the yesteryear was done, Maybe, just maybe even if Dodge finds it interesting enough the Diamante can be a real thing and be possibly a new Trim level for the Challenger? Really, all the Diamante ended up being was a new trim design, though a major one considering they turned a four-seater into a two-seater and I'd be all for having both options course that would come down to costs for the big wiggs. See the point being, of all this, is when looking at the Dodge Challenger new or old, it has that unique shape of a body that can be used for just the right types of muscle car, whether it be another classic like a GTO conversion, or within its own kin model of what would've been the Diamante. In this regard, we are then just slapping parts on a car and calling it "the new and improved" but also maybe with the stipulation of doing it some justice and doing it right.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
The Camaro to Trans Am at least makes sense. If Pontiac were still around, it would look similar I suppose. But slap some parts on a Camaro and call it anything? Like a Chevelle?

A Guy

AMC Chevelle???

2016 SRT 392, A8, Granite Crystal.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,872 Posts
Garage
Why not convert a Challenger into an AMC Pacer? Then, you would really have something different!

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
A combination of one car company with another company car creates the AMC Chevelle Fawls lol yes I see your vision . Cuda340 lol slow down there Satan, let's not jump to those conclusions. Looking at the challenger what are potential cars it can be converted too? GTO for sure, Diamante, Cuda... what else? This car does have the right body platform to do so, so imagine all the possible classics that can be retrofitted. Yes, I hear you, nothing beats the classics and if you want a classic then go get a classic, but let's say a majority of the consumers are unable to acquire them or dare I say would prefer a modern rendition of the old classics. Would it then be too much to agree or wonder a possible conversion kit, Say the GTO conversion Kit this thread started on about or the Diamante or any other you can think of? Is there any denying that maybe Dodge designers did right with the body and created a pretty great base platform for such mods, that even in comparison to the Camaro/GTO conversion that the Challenger would've been the better choice? In regards to the Superbird, it is a bit bulky of a vehicle but does kind of look like what it was. And what about the Charger? I can recall when it first arrived, lots of people were pissed that it looked nothing like the Chargers of old, (it's still $#@!ing 4 door! and no manual trans!) In this situation sometimes a new design isn't great. Though I can agree people do like the Charger and they applaud the new look.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:03 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
The Following User Says Thank You to praiseV8 For This Useful Post:
Frank Julian (04-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Exterior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode