Minor accident - what do you think? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Exterior Discussion / Modifications Want to change the look and appearance of your Dodge Challenger? This section is for the discussion of any exterior visual modifications. Examples include wheels, custom paint, grills, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Minor accident - what do you think?

So within a few months of getting my 2018 Challenger GT, I had the first ever "at fault" accident in my driving "career" (it figures - right after I get a brand-new'ish car, this happens!). I'm 46 years old and while I've wrecked cars over the years, it was always either someone elses fault or there were no other cars involved.

Anyway, quick description of the accident... I was trying to pull out of my sons school parking lot after dropping him off for school. The road I pull out onto is pretty busy at this time with cars going both directions and cars turning into the school lot at the same place where I'm exiting the lot. Well, I swear the car coming one direction on the main road had her turn-signal on to pull into the lot I was exiting from, so I made sure nothing was coming the other direction and started to pull out onto the main road (again, thinking that she was turning into the lot I was pulling out of). The road I'm pulling out onto is a 15mph school zone at this time. So I start pulling out and "bam!" - I wreck right into the front-side of her car as she continues straight instead of turning like I expected.

I was probably going less than 5mph and she was probably going ~15mph (I'm assuming). Most of the damage on my car is not from the impact, but from her car "dragging" across my front end. I was really surprised at the amount of damage done to both cars given the speeds involved (they don't make "bumpers" like they used to!).

Anyway, her car was drivable and my car was drivable after I ripped the bumper cover off (was hanging only by one plastic rivet and the side-marker light). I drove it home and all seems well mechanically. No air bags deployed on either car.

My question is this - do you think there is ANY chance this could be totalled?? I would NEVER think so, but I saw how they totalled the "Tall Guy Reviews" Hellcat with what looked like pretty minor front end damage, so I'm a little nervous now. :-) I *think* that all of the damage on mine is "cosmetic" (no frame damage, etc) - I'm thinking front bumper, one or both fenders and the hood. I didn't see any damage on the radiator or anything like that - or any main "support" beams bent up.

I know that it's impossible to be sure about this from these pictures, but just curious what you guys think...

Thank you!

My car:

Just FYI - her car:

As an aside... Like an idiot, I called the cops, not knowing for sure if my car was drivable and thinking it was "the right thing to do". DUMB MISTAKE! Not only is it now formally documented that I was "at fault" (not that I was denying it), but they also said that they MUST write a citation for accidents like this!?!? So I got a $25 citation (that added up to ~$150 with all of the add-on fees). The cop was very cool and did tell me to plead not-guilty and they will basically drop the charges at the trial, but still... I thought I was doing the "right thing" by calling the cops to get everything formally documented for insurance purposes, etc - but no - was a rookie mistake!!! <sigh>

I'm *so* bummed by all of this... So go easy on me. :-)

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:49 AM

Not a rookie mistake at all if that was my car that you hit I would have called the police

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:50 AM

I really doubt that it is totaled. if it was my car I would prefer that it would be however. And just buy a new one

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:53 AM

From what I can tell, it doesn't look totalled. What you call the front bumper is actually the front fascia, the actual bumper is that black bar that is below the headlights. The facia covers this. As for the cops and the ticket. It's just a lesson learned that you only need to call them if their is a injury and the parties involved can work it out. Take it easy on yourself, stuff happens and your not injured.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:56 AM

Garage
That stinks.

Want to add insult to injury, I got ticketed when a car pulled out in front of the wife and I on our Harley. It resulted in a crash. The Silver Nissan Pathfinder took off. So I was the only one left and they gave me a ticket. Told me the same thing, plead not guilty and judge will drop it. That was bull stuff. Not only did I take a vacation day for the court appearance, mandatory, I had to pay for parking in the garage and the CC machine ate my CC. Which then started racking up charges a couple of hours later. Fortunately I did call and report the card lost. So, yes, I feel your pain.

AS for your accident, the other persons car looks totaled, damage to unibody door jambs looks to be the case. Really crappy they failed to properly signal, maybe that's your out, don't know how you prove it though. Yours probably is not, but then, its really hard to see what the core support looks like, but then again would seriously doubt that its that severe.

Sorry to hear that happened to you.
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:08 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not sure if it would have helped you in this case, but you should buy a dashcam ASAP.

Some old lady smashed into the side of my car back in December and as soon as I stepped out she was placing blame on me that I was going too fast.

Footage showed otherwise, and since Texas is a state where both parties could be at fault, I might have been partly blamed for the accident if not for the video evidence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181212_074027 (1).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	945141  

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:16 AM

Garage
As others stated, your car only has bolt on part damage and I really doubt there is any frame damage so no total. I also agree that the other car will be totaled based on it's current value and structural damage. When I got rearended in my Javelin the guy showed me an expired insurance card, which I took a picture of, then he got in his truck and left. I waited for the cops since I wanted an accident report since he hit me while I was stopped in traffic. I also took pictures before we moved the vehicles. I have cameras in all of my cars so the video shows the situation and even got him on tape parked in front of me after the wreck so he could not say later that it wasn't him. He was also from California. In the end he caused $10k in damage to my car, now fixed. His insurance was valid but they refused to deal with me. I had to have my insurance cover it and go after his. I still need to put a camera in my brand new Challenger but it will have one very soon. It will protect you if it is not your fault.
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:21 AM

Is the hood damaged? Time for that Hellcat hood upgrade! Think positive.
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:23 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64dartgt View Post
Is the hood damaged? Time for that Hellcat hood upgrade! Think positive.

Looks like it to me.
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:23 AM

Just don't make the mistake I did. I delayed putting a backup camera on my old Tundra. Then started commuting in it and parking in a garage. I was tired one afternoon and backed into a nearly new Lexus. I thought I'd pay cash for the damage (barely a scratch on my Tundra) and did...to the tune of $4500! And it turned out that I might have been covered by "accident forgiveness" on my policy. Oh well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Exterior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode