Minor accident - what do you think? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Exterior Discussion / Modifications Want to change the look and appearance of your Dodge Challenger? This section is for the discussion of any exterior visual modifications. Examples include wheels, custom paint, grills, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
I *really* wish I had camera footage of the accident. While I still believe it was my fault, I would love to see footage of it. She said that while she didn't have her turn signal on to turn into the school (she had no kids in the car, so I believe her), she did mention that she "flashed" an oncoming driver to go ahead and turn *into* the school (to turn in right where I was trying to pull out of). Who knows, maybe I thought the flash was for me to go ahead and pull out (people do that often at this "intersection") or maybe I thought I saw her turn-signal when she did this. Who knows, but I would like to see it... I don't normally do stupid things like this, which is why I'm curious.

In the end, I'm sure I'll get an insurance increase (State Farm) - they only have "1st accident forgiveness" if you've been with them for 9+ years. I've only been with them for 5 years (my other cars).

I just looked at the car a little closer (it's in my garage until I take it to the body shop tomorrow - just been avoiding looking at it!). I looked at the actual steel bumper (bumper reinforcement or whatever it's called) and there is no damage to it whatsoever. All of the steel support "stuff" seems to be intact. But both fenders are damaged, the hood is damaged, plastic headlight mounts are broken and all of the front-end "plastic" stuff is broke to pieces. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. Normally, I wouldn't want a car that was wrecked, but since I did the "wrecking", I know it was very low speed and VERY low "impact" - just cosmetic stuff, so I'm not too worried.

Worse case, if they do total it, I do have GAP insurance and all of that stuff. If they don't and it just doesn't seem 'right' afterwards, I got it for a good price, so I could always just trade it in later for something else without too much of a loss.

Regarding the police, *she* actually tried to call them and they said if both cars are drivable, there was no need. But then since I wasn't sure if mine was drivable at the time, I actually called them again and stated that - so then they *did* come out. I had no idea I would get a citation for an accident like this! :-) Like I said, I thought that I was "doing the right thing". Lesson learned.

Thankfully, the lady that I hit didn't really care about her car. She was VERY nice about the whole thing. Probably a blessing in disguise for her - now she has an easy way to get a new car. :-) Was a 2012 Subaru Forester.

Thanks for all of the input. Still *p1ssed* about it though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCash View Post
That stinks.

Want to add insult to injury, I got ticketed when a car pulled out in front of the wife and I on our Harley. It resulted in a crash. The Silver Nissan Pathfinder took off. So I was the only one left and they gave me a ticket. Told me the same thing, plead not guilty and judge will drop it. That was bull stuff. Not only did I take a vacation day for the court appearance, mandatory, I had to pay for parking in the garage and the CC machine ate my CC. Which then started racking up charges a couple of hours later. Fortunately I did call and report the card lost. So, yes, I feel your pain.

AS for your accident, the other persons car looks totaled, damage to unibody door jambs looks to be the case. Really crappy they failed to properly signal, maybe that's your out, don't know how you prove it though. Yours probably is not, but then, its really hard to see what the core support looks like, but then again would seriously doubt that its that severe.

Sorry to hear that happened to you.
Man - I thought that I had bad luck! Geez! That is crazy... Pretty messed up that they give *you* a ticket when the other person took off like that...
post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:07 AM

Garage
Unfortunate to have an accident and to add insult to injury to be cited. But generally the person who is driving the vehicle that strikes another vehicle is considered at fault.

I doubt your car is totaled. I doubt it has experienced any (but possibly minor) frame or structural damage. (The other car's damage is more severe. If either car is going to be totaled the other car is closer to this by a wide margin.)

You want to put this behind you and one way is to get your car started on a proper repair path. You want the car restored to its pre collision condition as best as humanly possible.

You need to get the car to a highly regarded body/paint shop and have the extent of the damage evaluated.

My advice in these situations is to avoid the desire to "mod" the car as part of the repair process. Focus on getting the car repaired to its pre collision condition -- I repeat this to emphasize how important it is.

Once you have the car back and have spent some time with the car to know it has no lingering issues from the accident or repair then you can mod to your heart's content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I agree. I kind of like the hood style that it came with, so I'm just going to stay with that. I did do research on local body shops and picked on - dropping it off tomorrow. If you use a shop that State Farm works with, they give you a lifetime warranty on the repairs too. So I'm hoping I come out of this all OK...

Again, thank you all for the input - it's much appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
YellowDuc (05-20-2019)
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,708 Times in 2,807 Posts
Garage
That sucks, pure and simple

And it doesn't matter if she had her signal on, etc. Still your responsibility to yield, etc.

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #16 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

I'm sorry this happened. From my eye, I would guess under 10K in damage. The biggies are, it looks like your hood and driver's side fender are toast.

I was at a 4 way intersection not long ago. I have my left turn signal on, as does the car facing me from across the intersection. So I thought all would be cool when we both got green lights. Nope. I started to turn left, and this other guy drives straight. I slammed my brakes before making contact with his car. I fully extended my left middle finger out the window to let him know what I thought of him.

I don't have cameras in my car, but I'm thinking about it now.

2016 SXT+ Airaid CAI. Fastman ported throttle body. Bright pedals. Billet Technology catch can. Petty front shock tower brace. 1 of 524 Plumb-crazy SXT's for 2016.
post #17 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:54 PM

I know how ya feel.
It’s not going to be a total. It’s repairable.
Mine wasn’t totaled out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3BEA823D-A702-4DA2-8ED9-431D9115BAA6_1557086076679.png
Views:	133
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	945159  
post #18 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:28 PM

Garage
Make sure you insist on OEM sheet metal and that they paint the fender jambs just like the factory did. I've seen where they left the jambs in primer. On my truck they put on new door skins but their metal prep was so bad that the paint pealed off a few years later. I tried to pay them seperatly to repaint the whole truck at the time but they were not interested. I'm glad I didn't waste my money. Many collusion shops will not do mods at all, just OEM type repairs. I recently repainted the entire truck after it got hit again in the rear and I had to replace the bed. I also repaired my Javelin after it was hit in the rear. If I can't fix it, it is a total in my mind.
post #19 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:10 PM

Make sure the car gets measured. Refuse to pay for any aftermarket, used or reconditioned parts.

Remember you are 100% in control of the repair process, the insurance company's only job is to covert the repair cost

Your insurance company is not obligated to be honest with you.

I do this professionally and I'm part of a large collision repair network. The hardest part of all of this will be finding a competent shop. Most shops are barely qualified to fix a riding lawnmower. If you want to give me your location, I will check if there is a decent shop in your area.

You will also want a PRI (post repair inspection) done.
The Following User Says Thank You to OregonScat For This Useful Post:
Fawls (05-07-2019)
post #20 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonScat View Post
Make sure the car gets measured. Refuse to pay for any aftermarket, used or reconditioned parts.

Remember you are 100% in control of the repair process, the insurance company's only job is to covert the repair cost

Your insurance company is not obligated to be honest with you.

I do this professionally and I'm part of a large collision repair network. The hardest part of all of this will be finding a competent shop. Most shops are barely qualified to fix a riding lawnmower. If you want to give me your location, I will check if there is a decent shop in your area.

You will also want a PRI (post repair inspection) done.
I'm definitely new to all of this. The whole "OEM parts" issue was something that I thought of right away though. On the phone, they ensured me that aftermarket parts wouldn't be used, but then when I look up the State Farm policy, I see this:

https://www.statefarm.com/claims/cla...lacement-parts

The way that it's worded makes it sound like they can use non-OEM parts for bumper components, sheet metal, etc. But then at one point it says "The final choice as to which parts will actually be used in repairs rests with you, the vehicle owner."

So I'm honestly completely confused here. After doing more research online, it made it sound like that if I insisted on OEM parts, that I would have to pay the difference between the non-OEM parts and OEM parts.

Normally, if my car was older and had a lot of miles, I wouldn't care so much, but this car has 6k miles on it. I think it's kind of important that OEM parts be used to retain the value of the car.

As far as what shop to use, I honestly just reviewed the Google reviews and picked one. I have no way of knowing other than the posted reviews. My area code is 19390. If you have some known-good shop that is close, I'd appreciate that (I can always change the shop I picked). Planned on dropping the car off this morning though, so I don't have much time. I went with a local Abra shop, again - just based off of reviews (actually, I think it's really "Keenan Auto Body - an Abra Company"). However, State Farm does provide a lifetime warranty on the repair if it's done at a shop that they have a contract with (which I think is important).

So yes - please - any hints, tricks or advice anyone can give, I'd apprecaite it. I'm pretty "anal" about my cars and I want to make sure it's done right - but at the same time, body work is one of the things that I know least about...

Thank you very much!

EDIT: Who would do a PRI? Is that just some other body shop, the dealer or someone else? Not familair with that.
EDIT2: Never mind - I did some research and have found places that do it. It seems that most of them do it at no cost too (I guess they assume you'll get the issues "fixed" there)..

Last edited by jtrosky; 05-06-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Exterior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode