Minor accident - what do you think? - Page 8 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Exterior Discussion / Modifications Want to change the look and appearance of your Dodge Challenger? This section is for the discussion of any exterior visual modifications. Examples include wheels, custom paint, grills, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Sigh - I should have listened to @OregonScat .... I actually got the car back Wednesday (was ready Wednesday *morning*) and after getting it home and doing a good "inspection", here is a list of the issues I found. Some of these are just pure corner-cutting and some are just the result of laziness and sloppy work... I'm taking the car back on Tuesday to go over the issues with the estimator (who has been my contact) and the General Manager of the body-shop. I'm giving them a chance to correct the issues before taking my complaints "up the ladder"....

I'm very happy with all of the paint work - it matches perfect both in color and texture. They even blended the fenders with the doors, which is not always done on "simple" colors, such as white, from what I understand. Just some alignment issues and the "corner cutting" issues like 5 out of 11 plastic rivets missing in the hood seal and the missing push-pins...

Also - just to be clear - the passenger fender and hood were repaired instead of being replaced (which I'm ok with - the damage was very minimal).

Major Issues:
1. No foam blocker (5112925AE) in new drivers side fender - can see from drivers door door-jamb all of the way through to front end of car (circled part in picture):

2. Not sure what else, if anything, is missing behind fender, such as "Silencer Wheel House" (68240961AC).

3. Drivers side rocker cladding is loose behind front wheel (side where fender was replaced) - missing/broken clips? Suspect entire rocker cover needs replaced (68185193AF) since I don't think they sell the clips separately - or clips on cladding may be broke (not sure how it is secured)

4. Passenger-side front hood corner not lining up properly - too high (cannot fix with underhood hood adjuster knob):

5. Front of hood, where repaired, is not lining up with bumper cover properly (lower than bumper cover)

Moderate Issues:

1. General bumper cover->fender alignment on passenger side

2. Repaired passenger fender is not right on inside

3. Hood-to-radiator seal is missing 5 out of 11 plasic rivets

Minor Issues:- can probably take care of these myself, but annoying nonetheless:

1. Drivers side *rear* wheel liner is missing push pins at the bottom, so it is extremely loose, allowing water to get in easily - suspect someone removed them to use elsewhere (no other reason to touch the rear wheel liners)?!?! I took one push pin from rear passenger well so at least both sides are somewhat secured at the bottom.

2. Paint overspray on left side of engine, near bottom of engine cover

3. Paint overspray behind passenger-side lower grille

Last edited by jtrosky; 05-17-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Oh - and here are a few "before accident" pictures so you can see how it used to/should like up in the front:

Thankfully, I have some "before" pictures to show them so they can't say "they're all like that" or "that's normal".... :-)
post #73 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:01 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What in the flying ****?

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
That God I wasn't in a major collision with major support, mechanical or suspension-related damage! Geez - I can only imagine.

I mean in reality, this is a V6 daily-driver in a state where there is winter, etc - so it's not like I'm going to keep it forever with plans of it being a "classic" someday, but still.... Some of the issues are just ridiculous. I mean how do you not put that foam piece at the end of the new fender?? How do you leave paint overspray like that? How you "skip" half of the plastic rivets that secure the hood-to-radiator seal? How do you not fix the small bend on the inside of the repaired fender (hell, I could probably grab it with my fingers and bend it back into place!). And the panel alignment just seems really poor to me for a $10k repair...

Just annoying that I now have to take it back. I just want it done right. Sure, they used brand new OEM parts, but that doesn't mean squat if they can't align them properly!

Trusth is, though, there are a LOT of people that would have never even knew these issues still existed. My wife would have been 100% fine with the repairs, for example. I guess they were hoping for someone like her. :-)
post #75 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
That God I wasn't in a major collision with major support, mechanical or suspension-related damage! Geez - I can only imagine.

I mean in reality, this is a V6 daily-driver in a state where there is winter, etc - so it's not like I'm going to keep it forever with plans of it being a "classic" someday, but still.... Some of the issues are just ridiculous. I mean how do you not put that foam piece at the end of the new fender?? How do you leave paint overspray like that? How you "skip" half of the plastic rivets that secure the hood-to-radiator seal? How do you not fix the small bend on the inside of the repaired fender (hell, I could probably grab it with my fingers and bend it back into place!). And the panel alignment just seems really poor to me for a $10k repair...

Just annoying that I now have to take it back. I just want it done right. Sure, they used brand new OEM parts, but that doesn't mean squat if they can't align them properly!

Trusth is, though, there are a LOT of people that would have never even knew these issues still existed. My wife would have been 100% fine with the repairs, for example. I guess they were hoping for someone like her. :-)

It's not too late. Call the shop I recommend, and ask about having a PRI (post repair inspection done). I was serious when I said that most shops are incompetent.

Don't bother taking it back to the shop that hacked it out. Was the car even measured? Is "setup and measure" on your estimate?

Last edited by OregonScat; 05-17-2019 at 09:21 AM.
post #76 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonScat View Post
It's not too late. Call the shop I recommend, and ask about having a PRI (post repair inspection done). I was serious when I said that most shops are incompetent.

Don't bother taking it back to the shop that hacked it out. Was the car even measured? Is "setup and measure" on your estimate?
Yes - it does list this on this estimate:

"Unibody Set-up & Measure (TRAM UNDERHOOD)" - with 1.5 hours of labor
Also has this: "Note: Tram required to see if underhood is in spec"

Just by looking at the hood and specifically, the repaired front lip on the drivers side, I don't see any issues - the repair looks good and the hood looks very "uniform". It may even be the bumper cover alignment that is too high in that one area instead of the hood lip being too low. Not sure though.

Not sure what's up with the passenger-side front corner of the hood alighment though - it's just too high. But again, could be a combination of the "repaired" fender and the bumper cover alignment and not really an issue with the hood itself. Although, I'm not an autobody tech, so I could be completely wrong about all of this. :-)

I'm going to give them one chance to fix it right before I go back to State Farm and complain - and take it elsewhere. It's all cosmetic stuff - it's not like there are safety-related issues or the car doesn't drive right. Just costmetic stuff. That way State Farm can't say that I didn't give the shop a chance to fix the issues and refuse to pay, etc... If they can't get it right after taking it back once, then I'll be having a conversation with State Farm and taking it elsewhere to get a full PRI done (most likely the shop you recommended).

It's amazing how this place has thousands of great reviews though - on multiple different "review" sites... Maybe most people just really don't check the car out very well?
post #77 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:14 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Yes - it does list this on this estimate:

"Unibody Set-up & Measure (TRAM UNDERHOOD)" - with 1.5 hours of labor
Also has this: "Note: Tram required to see if underhood is in spec"

Just by looking at the hood and specifically, the repaired front lip on the drivers side, I don't see any issues - the repair looks good and the hood looks very "uniform". It may even be the bumper cover alignment that is too high in that one area instead of the hood lip being too low. Not sure though.

Not sure what's up with the passenger-side front corner of the hood alighment though - it's just too high. But again, could be a combination of the "repaired" fender and the bumper cover alignment and not really an issue with the hood itself. Although, I'm not an autobody tech, so I could be completely wrong about all of this. :-)

I'm going to give them one chance to fix it right before I go back to State Farm and complain - and take it elsewhere. It's all cosmetic stuff - it's not like there are safety-related issues or the car doesn't drive right. Just costmetic stuff. That way State Farm can't say that I didn't give the shop a chance to fix the issues and refuse to pay, etc... If they can't get it right after taking it back once, then I'll be having a conversation with State Farm and taking it elsewhere to get a full PRI done (most likely the shop you recommended).

It's amazing how this place has thousands of great reviews though - on multiple different "review" sites... Maybe most people just really don't check the car out very well?
Sometimes it means nothing. I took my car to a vinyl shop once with glowing reviews. They never finished the job and scratched the shit out of my paint, never got my money back.
post #78 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:35 AM

Garage
Why are you waiting till Tuesday?

State Farm won't care, you picked the shop.

Its a catch 22, use their shop for crappy work, pick your own shop for crappy work, neither leaves you much remedy. You should not have taken the car to begin with. but that doesn't help now.

This is exactly why cars tagged with accident history take a beating. Stupid little stuff not completed by incompetent people. There probably isn't $2k worth of stuff for that repair, they get discounts don't cha know, lol.

Decent people get taken all the time. So sorry to hear this is happening to you.

Knock on wood I never have an incident, I would have no idea where to go anymore.

PS, white is the hardest color in the world to match, blacks the easiest. They have to blend the paint onto other panels to have any hopes of you accepting the repair.
post #79 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
After complaining (in writing) of the issues and sending pictures of the issues to the body shop for their review, I spoke to them and we set up an appointment for Tuesday to go over the issues with the general manager of the shop - so that they can get my complaints addressed. So that is why I'm waiting until Tuesday. I'm approaching it in a "civil" way first to hopefully work with them to get the issues fixed (instead of going in "on the spot" screaming and yelling, which will probably get me nowhere).

State Farm is the one paying the body shop - State Farm is the one insuring my vehcile - I'm their customer. State Farm also has some "leverage" with the body shop since they "steer" people to that body shop - so it's in the body shops best interest to keep State Farm happy if they want to keep getting business through them. The body shop probably cares about their relationship with State Farm more than they care about their relationship with me - so if I can't get any satisfaction through the body shop directly, I'm *hoping* State Farm can flex their muscle with the body shop to make it get done right and/or "authorize" me to take it somewhere else to get it fixed right. In the end, State Farm is paying the body shop (I wasn't involved in the money part at all) - so I would think that State Farm can withhold payment if things aren't done right - and either way, I need them to "approve" payment to someone else if I end up having to take it elsewhere - so they are still involed in the process.

I'm *trying* to get the issues worked out at the original body shop - becuase if I take it somewhere else now, who knows what will happen or how long it will take to get straightened out. I don't think State Farm will be jumping at the opportunity to pay someone else to do the work again.

Honestly, I have a feeling that things will work out just fine in the end - just sucks that I have to go back at all... Will follow-up after I know more...
post #80 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
After complaining (in writing) of the issues and sending pictures of the issues to the body shop for their review, I spoke to them and we set up an appointment for Tuesday to go over the issues with the general manager of the shop - so that they can get my complaints addressed. So that is why I'm waiting until Tuesday. I'm approaching it in a "civil" way first to hopefully work with them to get the issues fixed (instead of going in "on the spot" screaming and yelling, which will probably get me nowhere).

State Farm is the one paying the body shop - State Farm is the one insuring my vehcile - I'm their customer. State Farm also has some "leverage" with the body shop since they "steer" people to that body shop - so it's in the body shops best interest to keep State Farm happy if they want to keep getting business through them. The body shop probably cares about their relationship with State Farm more than they care about their relationship with me - so if I can't get any satisfaction through the body shop directly, I'm *hoping* State Farm can flex their muscle with the body shop to make it get done right and/or "authorize" me to take it somewhere else to get it fixed right. In the end, State Farm is paying the body shop (I wasn't involved in the money part at all) - so I would think that State Farm can withhold payment if things aren't done right - and either way, I need them to "approve" payment to someone else if I end up having to take it elsewhere - so they are still involed in the process.

I'm *trying* to get the issues worked out at the original body shop - becuase if I take it somewhere else now, who knows what will happen or how long it will take to get straightened out. I don't think State Farm will be jumping at the opportunity to pay someone else to do the work again.

Honestly, I have a feeling that things will work out just fine in the end - just sucks that I have to go back at all... Will follow-up after I know more...

Your hood is aluminum and should have been replaced. You can't bend the front edge without bending the under structure. The rockers are one time use and $60, they should have been replaced. The fasteners should have also been replaced.

Tramming the upper structure is not good enough, it needs to be measured with a 3 dimensional computerized measuring system. 1.5 hours is inadequate for setup, measuring and structural analysis.

It doesn't look like it, but did the wheels get hit at all?

If it were my car, it would never see the inside of that shop again. The real question is what can't you see. I could make anything look fantastic while still being completely wrecked in areas you can't see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Exterior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode