Minor accident - what do you think? - Page 9 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Exterior Discussion / Modifications Want to change the look and appearance of your Dodge Challenger? This section is for the discussion of any exterior visual modifications. Examples include wheels, custom paint, grills, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCash View Post
Why are you waiting till Tuesday?

State Farm won't care, you picked the shop.

Its a catch 22, use their shop for crappy work, pick your own shop for crappy work, neither leaves you much remedy. You should not have taken the car to begin with. but that doesn't help now.

This is exactly why cars tagged with accident history take a beating. Stupid little stuff not completed by incompetent people. There probably isn't $2k worth of stuff for that repair, they get discounts don't cha know, lol.

Decent people get taken all the time. So sorry to hear this is happening to you.

Knock on wood I never have an incident, I would have no idea where to go anymore.

PS, white is the hardest color in the world to match, blacks the easiest. They have to blend the paint onto other panels to have any hopes of you accepting the repair.

Who gets discounts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonScat View Post
It doesn't look like it, but did the wheels get hit at all?
Correct - there was no damage to the wheels or suspension or anything like that. Just cosmetic damage to the very front part of the car.

I can't stress enough how little "forward" impact there was. 95% of the damage is from the car I hit "brushing" across the very front of my car, ripping the plastic apart. The actual "forward momentum" impact between my car and theirs was extremely little - as were the speeds involved. I made sure to test the car at high speeds after the repairs and it's as smooth and straight as always (I tend to noice *every* little thing in terms of vibrations, pulling to one side, etc). Even before the repairs were done, there were no drivability-related issues - other than the bumper-cover plastic almost dragging on the ground. :-)

During my inspection, I actually removed the pieces of plastic above the headlights (that have the little cupholder indentions in them) and inspected everything under there as well. Everything looks good there. I inspected the car *really* well (probably 45-60 minutes worth) after getting it home, which is how I identified all of the issues I did. I think I'll actually do some poking around with an illuminated boroscope today as well. I want to make sure I identify *all* issues before I go back on Tuesday. I knew that I would have *never* noticed all of these issues during my initial "inspection" when I picked the car up at the body shop, which is why I wanted to wait until I got it home and did a GOOD inspection before complaining about anything. Otherwise, I would have left the car there and then found more issues when I got it back and got it home. I didn't want to have to go back more than once...

Somewhat-related question... Does anyone know what these little black plastic "squares" are/were for? They weren't "connected" to anything else (not even the black plastic trim right in fromt of them) and almost seem likey they were just very thin pieces of square'ish plastic that were glued on or something? I've noticed that a lot Challengers don't even have them (and I no longer have them after the repairs). Just curious what their purpose is/was...

Thanks.
post #83 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,777 Times in 2,857 Posts
Garage
I had those little covers on my car before I painted everything under hood. It seems to be hit or miss people have them. It's painted under them, and they are just "stickers" so no idea what their specific purpose might be. No issue with them being gone I can see

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praiseV8 View Post
Sometimes it means nothing. I took my car to a vinyl shop once with glowing reviews. They never finished the job and scratched the shit out of my paint, never got my money back.
Damn, I remember that. The car was a dark blue if I remember correctly and even under the weather stripping on the top of the doors was scratched. Do you still have that car or did you trade it in? That story was exactly why I had my hood scuffed and painted instead of wrapped.
post #85 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:54 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Julian View Post
Damn, I remember that. The car was a dark blue if I remember correctly and even under the weather stripping on the top of the doors was scratched. Do you still have that car or did you trade it in? That story was exactly why I had my hood scuffed and painted instead of wrapped.

Yep, still got it.

Although I got a new door after the old lady rammed my passenger side, so now only one door is scratched up, lol.

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
post #86 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Somewhat-related question... Does anyone know what these little black plastic "squares" are/were for? They weren't "connected" to anything else (not even the black plastic trim right in fromt of them) and almost seem likey they were just very thin pieces of square'ish plastic that were glued on or something? I've noticed that a lot Challengers don't even have them (and I no longer have them after the repairs). Just curious what their purpose is/was...

Thanks.
Hmm my R/T does not have those but the red paint where those would go has "bubbles" in it. Would be kinda cool to covet them with something like that.
post #87 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:51 PM

I installed screws in the hood seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6263ECF9-F915-4597-BEE3-1CFC8435FB43_1558410526831.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	946049   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8B7D44D-E843-4619-B07B-1042F2215D43_1558410623187.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	946051   Click image for larger version

Name:	384BCFAE-6816-4C6A-BEC7-E1BD56511EB9_1558410683384.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	946053  
post #88 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:52 PM

Garage
Quote:

Thanks.
I asked the very same question on another Challenger forum and no one there knew what purpose they served, either. They appear to be simple, textured stickers that get applied to most, but not all Challengers. I don't know how or why they could be omitted from the assembly line, but they sometimes do. In fact, if you go to the Dodge website, you will see some of their own marketing photos show cars with them and others without!

The reason I asked about them was because I was considering buying a Challenger that had been involved in an accident and the stickers were missing. My first thought was they were applied after some other assembly was performed at the factory, but hadn't been reapplied following the body work. I guess we'd have to ask a factory worker what the stickers are for to be sure.

Looking forward to adding the current generation CHALLENGER to the number of Dodges I've enjoyed over the years... A '63 330, a '66 Coronet, a '71 Charger Super Bee, a '72 Challenger, and a '78 Challenger (forgive me). LOL
post #89 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Julian View Post
Hmm my R/T does not have those but the red paint where those would go has "bubbles" in it. Would be kinda cool to covet them with something like that.
Regarding the "bubbles" in the paint where those black plastic squares are/were/might be, I noticed that there is a hole in the metal in those little squares - and the hole seems to be filled in on one side - just wondering if that filled-in-hole is what you meant by "bubbles". I'll have to take a picture to show what I mean. Can you post pictures of what you mean?

As has been stated in the recent posts in this thread, the "cover" piece is just a very thin flexible piece of black plastic that is glued on - so you could easily make them yourself (I haven't seen them listed as being for sale as an OEM part anywhere). The ones that were on my car had a minor texture on them (kind of like the texture on the rocker cladding pieces, but not quite as much texture from what I remember).

I can't think of any reason why the black pieces are needed. I'm wondering if it's just related to the manufacturing/assembly process. Maybe they are there to protect the paint from one of the machines that assemble the car or something like that - only somewhat-plausible reason I can think of.
post #90 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Regarding the "bubbles" in the paint where those black plastic squares are/were/might be, I noticed that there is a hole in the metal in those little squares - and the hole seems to be filled in on one side - just wondering if that filled-in-hole is what you meant by "bubbles". I'll have to take a picture to show what I mean. Can you post pictures of what you mean?

As has been stated in the recent posts in this thread, the "cover" piece is just a very thin flexible piece of black plastic that is glued on - so you could easily make them yourself (I haven't seen them listed as being for sale as an OEM part anywhere). The ones that were on my car had a minor texture on them (kind of like the texture on the rocker cladding pieces, but not quite as much texture from what I remember).

I can't think of any reason why the black pieces are needed. I'm wondering if it's just related to the manufacturing/assembly process. Maybe they are there to protect the paint from one of the machines that assemble the car or something like that - only somewhat-plausible reason I can think of.
it's just little specs where the paint is gone, nothing like what you describe., like the paint gun had a "hiccup" definitely nothing intended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Exterior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode