mud flaps - Page 13 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Exterior Discussion / Modifications Want to change the look and appearance of your Dodge Challenger? This section is for the discussion of any exterior visual modifications. Examples include wheels, custom paint, grills, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:29 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019WIDEONE View Post
Huh, that's weird, there were no holes in my car to mount that screw. I used a small pick to punch through the rocker molding.
I swapped out the supplied screws for some very pointed phillips pan heads and was able to force them into the inner wheel well plastic with a stubby screwdriver without removing the tires, front and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:00 PM

What exactly are these clear covers/guards called? They’re on my 18 Camaro SS stock from the factory.

Where can I buy these for my Challenger?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #123 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:59 PM

Do you guys think the one flap with open gap wasn’t put on right? It’s a little loose too. The other one is tighter. Am I risking stripping the threads taking the screws out and putting it on right ? I don’t feel like taking it back to the body shop where I had it worked on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:44 PM

I’m talking about this area

post #125 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:22 PM

Yup. It looks like it wasn’t put on correctly. That’s why I’m not putting mud guards on my Wide Body.
post #126 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:58 AM

That gap really doens't hurt anything. The purpose of the guards are to stop "stuff" from getting on/creating chips in your paint on the side of the car- not to stop "stuff" from getting on the underside of the car.

It's hard to tell from the pictures if it's installed "wrong" or if the plastic part that it connects to is deformed or broken in some way (it's just cheap, thin, plastic).

The point is that the guards are still doing what they are meant to do either way, so no harm done.

Pesonally, I love the way that the flaps that I installed (JLT Performance versions) "protect" the body not just from water, but also from mud, stones, etc. Would never go without them. Helps keep the car clean in the rain and helps protect the paint - and they are virtually invisible for the most part.
post #127 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
That gap really doens't hurt anything. The purpose of the guards are to stop "stuff" from getting on/creating chips in your paint on the side of the car- not to stop "stuff" from getting on the underside of the car.

It's hard to tell from the pictures if it's installed "wrong" or if the plastic part that it connects to is deformed or broken in some way (it's just cheap, thin, plastic).

The point is that the guards are still doing what they are meant to do either way, so no harm done.

Pesonally, I love the way that the flaps that I installed (JLT Performance versions) "protect" the body not just from water, but also from mud, stones, etc. Would never go without them. Helps keep the car clean in the rain and helps protect the paint - and they are virtually invisible for the most part.
Thanks guys. Are The JLT Flaps the same width? I mean do they stick out farther to protect the paint. I think the Mopar flaps don’t come out far enough. The tire is still wider. No big deal. I’m very happy with this car. Can’t wait to test it at the track.
post #128 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:38 AM

The JLT flaps are a completely different style - they are flat plastic and yes, I do believe that they actually stick out futher and are even longer than the "molded" Mopar versions. Personally, I went with the flat style becuase I have a white car and I dind't like the way the molded ones are visibile from the side of the car (they overlap the paint a little). With a dark car, it's not so noticable, but with a white car, it's pretty noticeable (at least to me). But some others prefer the "molded" style over the flat style. All depends on the person.

I'll try to get some good pictures of the JLT's and how much they protect today (close-ups, otherwise, it's hard to even see them in picutres). I have lower-offset wheels on my GT, so they stick out over an inch further than the stock wheels and the JLTs seem to stop all "stuff" kicked up fromt he tires (water, mud, rocks, etc).
post #129 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I think you will find they stick out just far enough to cover any stones etc. hitting the car, stones going wide will do no damage to your car.

2016 SRT 392, A8, Granite Crystal.
post #130 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:12 PM

I recently installed the MOPAR mud flaps on my 2019 RT Classic. I did not drill the top hole in the panel for the front mud flaps but used some 3M super strength moulding double face tape. While I had the car out today in the driveway and it was over 90 degrees the mud flap pulled away from the tape. The tape is securely fastened to to body panel. I assume the heat made the flap pull away. Is there some other tape I can use or should I just drill the hole and use the sealant covered screws that the instruction recommend?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Exterior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode