Challenger Finally Does It! - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 09:43 AM
T48

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyahouse View Post
The Camaro:
My daughter sold her 2015 after 1 year. I drove it a few times. Personally, I like the look of the car. I get it, it's a personal thing. However, getting in and out of it is a real chore. I cannot do so without thumping my head on the roof. I'm only 5'8" and with my but flat on the seat, my head hits the roof just above the driver's window area. It's not possible to get in the car without having to duck. The roof line is wayyyyyy to low. Add to that that the seat is too low to the ground. At 61 years old, I don't need to do calisthenics every time I want to get in the car.

I like to ride with the window down and my elbow on the top edge of the door, and my hand on the roof. We've all done this. But ya have to put your elbow at eye level to try to do this in the Camaro. The car is just all wrong. Not to mention that it looks VERY little like its grandfather: the 67 Camaro that I had in high school.

Took my SRT 392 to the family reunion yesterday. Handed the keys to my young cousin. Before I knew it, there were 5 teens scrambling into the car and off they went for some fun. 17 year old Caleb came back glowing. "That's my all time DREAM car," he quipped. Thank you for letting us take it out. Didn't hear one complaint about there being NO ROOM in the car.

This stuff matters. When a manufacturer is too concerned with making a car LOOK cool, and could care less about it's functionality, sooner or later it costs them in sales.

Gary
Tampa
I agree Camaros are more difficult to get in & out of. But they always have been in comparison to other cars in their given time period. Had 2 1978's way back in the day & a 2001 Trans Am. They were something you had to get used to. I also agree the top of door height should be lower on the current Gen 5 & 6 Camaro. Seeing out of it should not be as bad as it is. Who ever thought that gun slat window treatment in the design room at Chevrolet should be fired. Bet that turns a lot of regular car buyers off before they even test drive it.

That said, the Challenger body panels are also very tall as well. Particularly when you pull up behind one from an angle, the rear quarters appear insanely tall. Not bashing the car at all, but both the Gen 5 & 6 Camaro & Challenger body panels seem tall. Maybe it is for meeting crash testing/safety purposes?

Pulled up some quick measurements for the 2015 Camaro & Challenger. Showing the Challenger is 7" longer at 198" vs 191" for Camaro. The overall height is 58" (Challenger) & 54"(Camaro). There is your headroom & being able to look out. Weights for the V6 models were within 50 lbs of one another.
Edit: Current Gen 6 Camaro is shorter at 188" & another inch shorter at 53" in comparison to the gen 5 2015. It also went on a diet as a 1LT V6 weighs in around 3350 lbs.

There are much more defined sales stats here going back to 2009. Jun 2017 Camaro Sales Figures (and vs. Mustang & Challenger) - CAMARO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCarProf View Post
The infotainment screen actually points downward in these cars so I found myself bending downward to look at it while driving.
I think that was an attempt to prevent sun glare as it is not inset in the dash.

Last edited by T48; 07-05-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 09:51 AM

Garage
I personally don't mind the look of the new Camaros. I think the interior leaves something to be desired though. Before I bought my Challenger I was considering a Camaro but the chally was much nicer inside

--Pilky100--
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCarProf View Post
Personally I do think they look cool but I will admit the front bumper is busy looking. I just couldn't get past the high door line that prevents you from hanging your arm out while driving, and the lack of interior room. I can't even put my little kids in one very well. Test drove these two. The red car is a 1SS 8 speed and the black car is loaded 2SS 8 speed. The infotainment screen actually points downward in these cars so I found myself bending downward to look at it while driving. Awkward interior layout; strange looking inside.
GM really blew it - typically they have good ergonomic design. In the Gen VI, when styling trumps function...its just remarkable that entire teams approved this design. It wasn't great in the Gen V, but now even worse.

You look at the Gen VI, and the top of the door is over 3/4 up from the headrest. I saw a couple of G VI convertibles (top down) at a show...its looks wierd. Almost like a bathtub - that's how odd the proportions are.

Looks like buyers are voting with how they buy. And the Camaro isn't coming out that well on that front. It may generate great track numbers, but in the end...its a passenger vehicle and its not faring well on that front.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
The Following User Says Thank You to Hal H For This Useful Post:
MuscleCarProf (07-05-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 02:09 PM

Thanked 1,023 Times in 717 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T48 View Post

That said, the Challenger body panels are also very tall as well. Particularly when you pull up behind one from an angle, the rear quarters appear insanely tall. Not bashing the car at all, but both the Gen 5 & 6 Camaro & Challenger body panels seem tall. Maybe it is for meeting crash testing/safety purposes?
In short, yes. All new vehicles must meet a glass-to-metal ratio for safety standards that require the newer cars to have higher body panels. I get into my '66 GT and it's strange how much visibility I have since there is so much less body line up and around my head and shoulders. Lots more window visibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 Go Mango Scat Pack 6 speed with a Speedlogix catch can.
Other current car: 1966 Mustang GT coupe
The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleCarProf For This Useful Post:
T48 (07-05-2017)
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 02:30 PM

Garage
The Challenger wins because of its size, power and stature. This is why you have so many converters from Chevy and Mustang joining the club here. Hard to find a Challenger guy go jump in Chevy or Ford forum.

You also have buffoons in here that want the next gen to be small and lighter so they can get a .1 off their 0-60 times and not be ridiculed by Motor Trend magazine.

Dear Dodge: Make the next gen Big Again like A Real American Muscle Car is supposed to be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raceheart77 For This Useful Post:
ChallengerR/TFan (07-08-2017), Fawls (07-08-2017)
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 03:10 PM
T48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
GM really blew it - typically they have good ergonomic design. In the Gen VI, when styling trumps function...its just remarkable that entire teams approved this design. .
You are looking at it the wrong way. Think about what they did NOT approve of.

In a different segment, Chevrolet brought their drawing mock ups of the next Equinox & the groups rejected it. They had to start all over. The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox wasn't going to look like this | Autoweek

I do have to ask a question that maybe some one knows the answer to. When is the Brampton Ontario plant re-doing the paint system? Know they mentioned summer 2017 construction. But did not know when or how long it would take? Which would bring the next question. Did Dodge up production of the 2017's at that plant to have stock on the lots while the plant was down?

All FCA sales numbers here for any interested.
https://www.allpar.com/news/2017/07/...ng-in-us-38159
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobscogin View Post
I started driving Camaros when they came out in '67, and have been a life long Chevy fan. So when I decided to get a new car this year I went and looked at the '17 models. I liked them so much I bought a Challenger.

Bob
Doctor Bob

Youdaman. That was REALLY funny.

Gary
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:08 PM

Big GM fan here, but I went with a Challenger for one reason, it's size. It seats 5! No other muscle car seats 5, so on that alone I bought a Challenger. Chevrolet lost a fan for that. The Camaro shouldn't be small, that is what a Corvette is!
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceheart77 View Post
...Dear Dodge: Make the next gen Big Again like A Real American Muscle Car is supposed to be.
WORD.

2017 Destroyer Gray Challenger Hellcat and 2018 Destroyer Gray Challenger STX
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

This kind of gets me wondering....

People are starting to see what we've seen in these cars all along. I think the Demon has brought the Challenger some attention along with that Fast & Furious movie. So, this may mean that Dodge is going to have to TOP the looks of the current models, when they do the 2019 or 2020 or whatever year, of the re-design. I'm sure the rest of you are as curious as I am as to what they are going to come up with. Yeah, I know, this was only one months sales, but people are starting to notice and buy them.

I seems to me that everyone who gawks at a Challenger, does so with lust in their eyes. Like someone posted above though, it's kind of nice to be in a unique vehicle and I'm glad all those "Lusty Eyes" haven't made the plunge yet.

2017 Challenger T/A 392 White Knuckle - M6
2011 Camaro LT RS (Black w/Red Stripes)
2009 Challenger SRT (Hemi Orange)
2008 Charger Daytona (Hemi Orange)
1969 Camaro RS (Yellow with Black Stripes)
All cars before are too pathetic to mention...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Dodge Challenger News & Polls > Dodge Challenger News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode