Do Powertrain Warranties Matter and do People Even Care? - Page 7 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yahoo- thanks for clarifying on the warranty. The quote of $1640 above is from Mopar Vehicle Protection for Maximum Care with $100 deductible. So my understanding is that is bumper to bumper.

I only have about 8,000 miles on the car because I don't drive it all year.

His quote for Lifetime warranty with Unlimited miles is $3765. Good deal or not?

2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Customer Preferred Package 28J w/ Heated Leather Seats (awesome!) Automatic Transmission w/ MDS (24 mpg highway!) Super Track Pack (awesome!) Anti-spin Differential (only $100 bargain of the year!) HID Headlamps, Engine Block Heater (seemed like a good idea at the time...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:31 AM

Thanked 4,332 Times in 2,703 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeennis View Post
Warranty, I didn't buy my challenger because of a/the warranty and did not care one bit, I bought my car to play with and that's why I had the intake manifold off and was porting away with 255 miles on the clock. I bought a play toy that was cheap for me.

Warranty is for the weak minded who can't do for themselves and those who have no business owning a car that is more then they can afford.

If I blow the engine who cares, about 2500 bucks for a long block and I get to install another one- this time with some ported heads and bump in compression, tranny goes south another reason to get a beefed up one. The rest of the stuff on the car is nickel and dime crap. I sure in the hell not going to give some con my hard earn money to cover repairs that most no one will need. big money maker extended warranty that is.

Not worth shelling out some 2-4 k in warranty premiums, what a waste, and the general public buys into it, lots of sheep out there.

I laugh because folks buy cars like this and they tip toe around until the "warranty" is over, what fun is it to own such cars if all you do is wait for the warranty to be over. Far as I'm concerned you should not own this kind of car, go buy a [email protected] car that gets 50 mpg and you can throw that car away in 3 or 4 years.

never the less, each to there own, world full of folks who are not self reliant in day to day life and others makes lots of money off this, like the extended warranty.

My opinion on the world, Don't hate me for my opinion. you can, I don't care. Go give your money away, make others rich. That's what the poor under educated do. Steelerships love those kinda folks. My take on the subject.

Wow, I guess that there's "sheep" and "bull sheet", both alive and well! LMFAO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Past: 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T "Classic" RIP Old Buddy 6/4/15

The Present: 2016 R/T Scat Pack. Factory Options: B5 Blue, 24G Package(A8), WRT Wheels, and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Engine HP Mods: None Needed. HC Air Box/Tube; DIPs Screen; BT Catch Can; Mopar front Brace;"TA" style side stripes; Mopar '10 Center Caps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 19johned53 For This Useful Post:
O_Racing (01-24-2016), wasp392 (11-22-2015)
post #63 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,458 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Iron View Post
Yahoo- thanks for clarifying on the warranty. The quote of $1640 above is from Mopar Vehicle Protection for Maximum Care with $100 deductible. So my understanding is that is bumper to bumper.
Yes, it is bumper-to-bumper but you still have the powertrain warranty so think about what you're REALLY adding with the warranty.

Quote:
His quote for Lifetime warranty with Unlimited miles is $3765. Good deal or not?
No, not good at all. For comparison, the same warranties through Chrysler Extended Warranty | Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep extended maintenance plans are...

7yr/60k, $100 ded - $1,145 ($495 less)
Lifetime, $100 ded - $2,695 ($1170 less)

The above prices have been adjusted because you're beyond the first 12 months and there is a surcharge if you buy the warranty between 12k and 48k miles or 12mo and 48mo.

Like I said, you can get a lifetime warranty for basically $1000 more than what you were quoted for the 7/60k Maximum Care plan and you can do an 18-month no-interest payment plan if you don't want to pay for it all at once.

2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack, B5, 6-speed, SPAG, WRTs, sunroof, SGII, Convenience, Tech and Leather; UPR catch can, skip-shift eliminator, Mopar splash guards.
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Inferno Red, 4.7L V8
RIP 11/2/14 - 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 10:27 AM

What is the difference between warranty companies such as Mopar Vehicle Protection which quoted me, and Chrysler Extended Warranty for example?
post #65 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
What is the difference between warranty companies such as Mopar Vehicle Protection which quoted me, and Chrysler Extended Warranty for example?
Absolutely nothing other than who you buy from and the price you pay. Both warranties are factory FCA-backed "Mopar Vehicle Protection" plans, the company I linked is a Chrysler dealer and the warranties are the same as you would get directly from FCA or your local dealer. The paperwork you receive when buying from the company I linked comes directly from FCA. It's not some 3rd party crap warranty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yahooligan For This Useful Post:
19johned53 (11-22-2015), LT1 Iron (11-22-2015)
post #66 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 04:15 PM

Yahoo- thanks for the info. bro! That was one of my concerns. If I'm going to pay the big bucks for the lifetime warranty, I want to be sure the company I'm dealing with is legit.

The quote I got from Mopar Vehicle Protection (A Product of Chrysler Group LLC)- is that the same as FCA? I talked to the guy on the phone, but had him send me the quote in writing by mail so I know it's solid.

I'm not modding or programming the car so I might go with the lifetime. Guy from my last club replaced his car with an RT Challenger, and he told me how it died in his driveway, would not start. Towed it to the dealer and replaced a module. Sez it would have cost him $700 right there for a simple snap in snap out part. That's what I'm trying to avoid, the electronics worry me.

I change the oil religiously (at dealer B4 driving home, at 500 miles, at 1500 miles, at 3000 miles, & now every 3000 miles.) I'm not really worried about the power plant, the car seems strong as far as driveline components. But a lot seems driven by computers nowdays.
post #67 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 04:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Yahoo- thanks for the info. bro! That was one of my concerns. If I'm going to pay the big bucks for the lifetime warranty, I want to be sure the company I'm dealing with is legit.

The quote I got from Mopar Vehicle Protection (A Product of Chrysler Group LLC)- is that the same as FCA? I talked to the guy on the phone, but had him send me the quote in writing by mail so I know it's solid.

I'm not modding or programming the car so I might go with the lifetime. Guy from my last club replaced his car with an RT Challenger, and he told me how it died in his driveway, would not start. Towed it to the dealer and replaced a module. Sez it would have cost him $700 right there for a simple snap in snap out part. That's what I'm trying to avoid, the electronics worry me.

I change the oil religiously (at dealer B4 driving home, at 500 miles, at 1500 miles, at 3000 miles, & now every 3000 miles.) I'm not really worried about the power plant, the car seems strong as far as driveline components. But a lot seems driven by computers nowdays.

Yup, Chrysler and FCA are the same thing. If you're planning on keeping the car for a number of years then the lifetime plan makes sense, it can also be canceled and a prorated refund given down the road if you decide you don't want it anymore or you no longer own the car.

I bought the lifetime plan for the Jeep that I had previously from the dealer I linked and they were great and they've got the lowest prices I've seen for the factory extended warranty.
post #68 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 07:50 AM

I'm stupid concerning warranties,.. I got my used 2014 R/T last month…5600 miles....its got some kind of warranty, think very short term…3 months….? They offered a 900.00 bumper to bumper….had now ideal what that was and declined. Now the only real mods I'm considering is cult outs which shouldn't hurt anything,?.. and think and hope to have this car for rest if my life, I'm 54. I received something from Dodge in mail about getting quote for warranty and wondering now maybe I should be looking into this, I have a good mechanic friend so its dealership for warranty work, and locals I'm worry about. Also friend of mine said his friend had a Charger with warranty,,,,said he took it in and they checked some type of chip and said he had it over 100 mph and it voided the warranty work and he was stuck with a blown tranny and the bill……I just don't know enough about warranties and most likely if I ever needed it I would still get screwed……LOL……lots to think about. Shoot I'm so stupid I was out under my Challenger looking at the rear end and expected to see old school mopar differential and saw some strange bar running out of it to the wheel,,,looked more like something on my SXS…..LOL.

1974 Challenger Black 318 AT from 80'-81'
1974 Barracuda Red 318 AT from 82'-92'
1973 Barracuda Aqua Blue 360 AT from 95'-04' wish I had that one back.
2014 Challenger R/T Plus 5A from 15'-forever.
Hurst Shifter Handle, Solo Performance X-Pipe Cat Back no muffler. Speedlogix Ram Hood. UPR catch can.
post #69 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 01:55 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Short of a factory warranty the best warranty a guy can have is a savings account. I know plenty of people will disagree with me on this, but the facts are that aftermarket warranties are typically full of loopholes. Put 100$ in an account every month and leave it alone. You will have money to fix your car when you break it and if you don't use it you will have a tidy sum for a downpayment on your next car.

2015 R/T Plus in Redline Pearl with R/T Hood Stripe
6 speed manual - Black Leather - Super Track Pack - Sound Group II
Hyperblack 20" Wheels - Weathertech Mats
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustysocket For This Useful Post:
NoCoHc (01-24-2016)
post #70 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazydaytona View Post
After having major issues with my 07 plumcrazy srt and the problems never fixed. I ended up trading it in for a used 2010 challenger srt . I was just considering buying another srt or ordering a hellcat new but with the warranty now down to 60,000 miles I will never by a new mopar again.
I will be looking for a used 2015 with low miles .
I bought my 15 used with 6k on the clock, opted for an extended through the dealer to compliment the 3/36. I did not get the car from a Dodge dealer, got the car from a vary reputable Caddy dealer. The last time I bought a extended warranty with a used car it paid for itself in 2 years, parts for BMW can get spendy and I knew of a few issues that would come up with the particular model.

15' Scat Pack Shaker A8
71' Nova 383,TH350, Dana 60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Dodge Challenger News & Polls > Dodge Challenger News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode