Limited Edition 80th Anniversary Challenger - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,556 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPasoBob View Post
And why did they put the 5.7 Shaker badge on the MOPAR 17 Shaker. Duh, the MOPAR design badge like the rear spoiler on the Shaker would have made it more cool
the fenders has the "392" with Mopar E flipped around to for the number three. It would look odd to have call-outs on fender and on the scoop. I suppose to make this more unique as part of the package.

and yes, its more expensive - its up into the optioned up SRT w/ A8 price range...but then again, you can't get two-tone paint on any other model. It should have had the 6-piston Super Scat Pack option in that price as well.

All the prior years' Mopar editions are more expense packages than the model they're derived from - Mopar '10 and Mopar '14 Challengers were similar and limited runs of those as well.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerzeppelin View Post
These more "crazy" models are usually very low volumes because the company is taking a pretty big risk. The cost of these are high, so if they aren't very popular, and there is too many made, they'll lose money (Look back at the 2010 furious fuchsia, where by late 2011 SRT models were being discounted cheaper than RT models). Unfortunately, a lot of the very custom models can't just be "built to order" because of all of the logistics of getting the proper components, or vendors commitment to do the work. Hand painting is something that needs to be controlled and figured out ahead of time.
Good point, I remember the FF models here starting out over sticker, eventually going to below sticker price when there was no takers.
On a model like this, why not take orders for a month and then build them? No stock cars, only presold ones. I think they'd sell more than 160.

To maybe answer my own query, Dodge could be losing money on each one, even at 10k above a regular 392 Shaker. At either rate, I'd like to get one but won't hold my breath.

Johnnymopar
2009 SRT8 SS 6spd.
Bought June 2009 - Sold August 2017
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 Plymouth GTX - current project
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,556 Posts
Garage
The most expensive models at a point were the Yellow Jacket SRTs that came along in '12. A fully loaded auto YJ clocked in at $52k on the sticker.

This Mopar package is about $3k above what a 392 Shaker would be if optioned with A8 and every option put into it that's available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:29 PM

These are neat looking, but I think I still prefer the T/A model just a tad more, plus it's easy to get a T/A right now and cheaper!!
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Mopar ’17 Dodge Challenger is a Limited-Edition 80th Birthday Celebration

Quote:
This year, Mopar is celebrating its 80th birthday with a limited-edition Dodge Challenger, revealed at the 2017 Chicago Auto Show.

Mopar, Fiat Chrysler Automobile’s (FCA) official aftermarket parts arm, puts together limited-edition models every year, but for 2017, the car doubles as a birthday celebration. Mopar will build just 160 of these cars, 80 of which will be available in Pitch Black/Contusion Blue while the other 80 will come in Pitch Black/Billet Silver.

To make sure this car stands out in a crowd, it comes with a two-tone custom paint job, a hand-painted Mopar 392 logo, a Shaker Hood, 20-inch aluminum wheels with semi-gloss accents and chrome exhuast tips.

Powering the Mopar ’17 Challenger is a 6.4-liter V8 makes 485 horsepower and 475 lb-ft of torque, sent through a six-speed manual transmission. A Mopar cold air intake is used to help keep this powerplant running at its best, while an air catcher system that sucks air through one of the headlamps, like on the Hellcat models, has also been added.
Read more about the Mopar ’17 Dodge Challenger is a Limited-Edition 80th Birthday Celebration at AutoGuide.com.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:58 PM

Can someone tell me what the distinction is for a Mopar edition vehicle? Not the aesthetics, but more of the brand. I dont get it, its all Chrysler inst it? I understand Shelby mustangs being partnered with Ford, at least at one time. Then there is companies like Roush that build mustangs for dealerships. So im just trying to understand how Mopar cars are positioned from a brand perspective.

I always figured Mopar as the performance parts division.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:19 PM

I like the tu-tone paint. The strut braces and aircatcher are cool too. But at low to mid $50's they are, IMHO, way overpriced. I gotta believe the SRT 392 or T/A 392 provides a much better value. But hey, thats just me. Pic your poison, they are all cool. The more choices the better.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpeedShift For This Useful Post:
73RallyeJA5 (02-11-2017)
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,871 Posts
Garage
It's nice that Dodge is putting out a limited edition Challenger, but that glossy two tone paint job is not for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:47 PM

Garage
Chevrolet was burned by doing things like this. The Nordstrom limited edition Camaro was a flop. They didn't learn from that one and continued with oddball "rare" cars.

Rarity came from the wide variety of options that you used to be able to select on a build sheet. Those days are long gone. The stuff they do today is like putting the word, "collectible" in front of something which immediately tells you it's not.

Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
Chevrolet was burned by doing things like this. The Nordstrom limited edition Camaro was a flop. They didn't learn from that one and continued with oddball "rare" cars.

Rarity came from the wide variety of options that you used to be able to select on a build sheet. Those days are long gone. The stuff they do today is like putting the word, "collectible" in front of something which immediately tells you it's not.
John Varvatos edition Chrysler 300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Dodge Challenger News & Polls > Dodge Challenger News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode