Top 10 Best Roads to Drive in the US - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 05:34 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I know it's not in the U.S. but this was another great drive. Took me nearly a year to get to the track, but finally made it 3 days before putting my car on the truck transport for shipment back to the U.S. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1468063996.948832.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	700025

Signing off from somewhere in the Universe...

2013 Challenger SRT8-Airaid CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Zoomers Cat-Back Exhaust, Mopar Stage 1 Lowering Springs, BT Catch Can, BT under hood dress up kit, Petty’s Garage Front & Rear Sway bar, Petty’s Garage bolt on Sub-Frame Connectors, SX/Razors Edge Front & Rear End Links, SX Rear Tension Arms, SX Front & Rear strut/shock tower braces, Diablo 93 canned tune, Nitto 555G2 (summer)/Motivos (winter)
2008 Chrysler Aspen Limited 5.7L-Airaid CAI, Eibach rear 3” lowering springs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to hemi1031 For This Useful Post:
A Guy (07-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 08:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

One of the best scenic drives that also includes curves is Hwy 12 from Brice National Park to Capital Reef NP in Utah. This road features fantastic cliff scenery of the Colorado Plateau country and goes through the Staircase/Escalante NM which has incredible views. The best part of the drive is on a ridge that drops off on both sides to deep canyons of sandstone.
The drive through the Dixie NF is also beautiful. The road is very twisty, but you have to watch out for cattle and wildlife on this section of the road.
I have done this drive 5 times and still enjoy it.
Highway 12 ? All ? American Highway ? Scenic Byway ? Boulder, Utah | Boulder, Utah
Bob

Barracuda Bob
1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Fast Back
2009 Challenger Classic 6sp B5
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:01 PM

Totally agree with your vote for Highway 12 in Utah, one of the most awesome drives I've ever taken (love stopping in Boulder, UT along the way, too, and its Hell's Backbone Grill, one of my all-time favorite restaurants)! Also agree with some previous posters' votes for Glacier NP's Going-to-the-Sun Road -- awesome! Would also nominate Acadia NP's Park Loop Road, a sentimental favorite of mine.

Of the article's "Top Ten," driven three: Lombard Street, (parts, not all, of) Route 66, and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

2016 Challenger R/T 392 Scat Pack Shaker M6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,705 Posts
Garage
Lombard street, while different, is just a curvy traffic jam these days. I feel for the people that live on that street. A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:45 AM
Premium Member

Garage
I've been fortunate to drive on The Blue Ridge Parkway, The Tail of the Dragon and The Cherohala Skyway in my Challenger as they are all within 5 hours or less of our home. I've ridden on the Road to Hana in a tour bus and if its the same we were on, there is NO way I would take a car much less my Challenger on that!!! It was full of pot holes and rough ridges in the stones. It was VERY beautiful and scenic but again, not something I would ever drive my Challenger on.

Queen Bee - 2017 R/T Scat Pack Shaker
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Living in Denver area I get to drive a lot of great roads in the West. I think Hwy 12 in Utah is exceptional, but Hwy 50 through Utah and Nevada has its own charm. Especially the flat areas between mountains with no one on them. You can really open up the Challenger with little risk (not that I did that with my family in the car thought!)

In California, Hwy 1 from Bodega Bay to Fort Brag and further north is also spectacular. Less people on it than the more southern sections and probably more scenic. I didn't do that in a challenger, but I did do it in a Hemi. A '66 Belvedere II 426 Hemi 4sp with 5 people in the car.

I do love driving Challengers on long trips. I just got back from a drive to Long Beach, CA with my wife. 2755 miles round trip mostly on 70/15. But we did stop in Kanab, UT north of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We spent a day at the canyon and drove back on Utah Hwy 89/70.

Surprisingly, cruising at 75-80, I averaged 28 MPB and got 29 MPG on the stretch from Grand Junction to my home in Aurora. Used under 1/2 of a tank. 271 miles in the mountains and 9.35 gal gives 29.04 MPG. Not bad for a 5.7L 6sp with a bunch of luggage and two people.

Enjoy your road trip!
Bob
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 08:36 AM

HWY 21 from Boise, Idaho to Lowman then turn left and follow the Lowman-Banks cutoff along the Payette River (some of the best Kayaking in the world with plenty of opportunities to pull over and watch people defy death) and then turn left again at Banks, Idaho and follow the river to Horseshoe Bend, Idaho and back over the hill to Boise.

Lots of 25 MPH corners that actually mean it (Except in a sports car with big sticky tires) and scenic views make this a spectacular drive just about any time from spring through fall.

"I'm about to make poor choices and regrettable decisions"
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009 Classic B5 View Post
In California, Hwy 1 from Bodega Bay to Fort Brag and further north is also spectacular. Less people on it than the more southern sections and probably more scenic. I didn't do that in a challenger, but I did do it in a Hemi. A '66 Belvedere II 426 Hemi 4sp with 5 people in the car.
I definitely agree with you, I, very much, enjoyed the section of Hwy 1 from Legget to Bodega Bay, much more than from there south.
The first road trip I took by myself in my Challenger was to drive the length of Hwy 1 and then I hung a left and headed off to Tombstone, Az.

Life is too short to drive a boring car.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ Shaker View Post
I've been fortunate to drive on The Blue Ridge Parkway, The Tail of the Dragon and The Cherohala Skyway in my Challenger . . .
I'm going to South Carolina in August and will make a side trip to ride the Tail of the Dragon. I will use the motorbike for this trip instead of the Challenger.

2015 R/T SP, 23G, 6-Speed Tremec, SG-II (ordered 7/10, built 9/8, home 9/17/14)
Mods: Skip Shift Eliminator, HC airbox (no need to mod anything else)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk

2009 R/T 27F, 6-Speed Tremec
Mods: Skip Shift Eliminator, Hood Struts, Functional Hood Scoops, RPI Designs Mud Flaps, Cabin Air Filter, OEM Sound Group II
Traded
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 08:43 PM

6 out of 10 here- I agree on Going to the Sun Highway for scenic. For speed and fun look up old highway 666 in Eastern AZ. Twice as long as the tail and lot more corners. Done it on motorcycle and in my Maserati Coupe GT. We had a lead car with a walkie talkie let us know if any cars were coming. I had just installed a fresh set of Michelin PSS's and they looked like 2 hard track days after that trip. Never beat up a set of tires like that on the street before. Lots of fun. The Maser and a 911 led the way playing chase the whole way. Mustang wanted to play but I broke it when I tested it top end. Blew the whole exhaust cat back off the car.

2017 SRT 392, Black/Black Stripes, Red Nappa leather, Red Belts, 6 Speed, Every Opt but summer tires
2005 Maserati Coupe GT Grigio Alfieri over Boudreaux, 6 Speed Manual, Larini exhaust
2013 VW Turbo Beetle White-Silver Stripes, Loaded 6 speed manual
2004 1/2 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, Laramie, 6 Speed, 6" Lift, 35's, BullyDog Programmer
No stinking Auto's in this house. We all row the gears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Dodge Challenger News & Polls > Dodge Challenger News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode