2017 Challenger radio question - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video Anything that pertains to the interior electronics modifications such as stereos, A/V, lighting...not exclusive to the Challenger please feel free to share

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2017 Challenger radio question

Hello. I have the base small screen unit and plan to buy the 8.4 unit which I understand is plug n play. Do I also need to buy an amp or does the 8.4 unit have an internal amp? I watched a you tube on this and the guy made no mention of needing an amp. If I do, how difficult and expensive is it to do so? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:43 PM

The 8.4 unit has an internal amp, just like the smaller units. Of course, it can also be used with an external amp if you wanted to add more power though.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you. One more silly question. On the you tube the guy shows disconnecting the XM radio cable from the base unit. Why would a unit that doesn’t have XM have a plug in for XM? Further, given (like mine) the car would not have an XM antenna, where does this cable go to? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:15 PM

Sorry - don't know the answer to that one. It may be that they all have the connection on the back of the radio, just in case the car does have XM (not sure if some with the smaller screen have XM or not)? I'm assuming that if you don't have an XM antenna on the car, then there wouldn't be an XM cable to connect to the radio. But that is just an assumption. Hopefully, someone else chimes in with more concrete info on that.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:17 PM

it was my understanding that you will need to have a dealer flash done for the upgrade to take affect, less someone has found a do it yourself work around.
As for the SXM, the uconn head units all have the ability to have it, but its a suscription based service, so it may not be turned on/active/optioned for the car, thus the hook ups are there, but not connected or vice versa if that makes any sense. The cable routes to the lil shark fin on the roof, which is the antenna, non sxm cars have a small black square bump thing.

2015 Mods:
Hellcat Intake w/ AEM hi-flow filter.
GenPartsCo-USA D.I.P.S. air catcher screens.
Axis Model II's.
Firestone Indy 275/40/20
Rolling Thunder Reso delete.
Exteremevinyls side marker tints.
GPC Trunk Pull Handle.
Spare/Jack/Foam Delete.
GPC Phantoms.
Mopar O.E. Black Fuel Door.
Hellcat OE. ABS Cover.
Rear Seat Delete.
2014 Dodge Viper Seats.
Custom Fire Extinguisher & Mount.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Appreciate the response.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
How does the base unit get XM? I’ve looked in the book and pushed every button. I realize the SXM is a subscription service, but my radio doesn’t get it and does not have a shark fin antenna. As a matter of fact, I called VIOS as they have XM kits for radios without XM and their engineers could not hook up XM on that unit without getting static. I feel pretty comfortable in saying the only way to get XM on the base unit is to get it on an app on your phone and play it on the radio, My which is what I do. My original sticker also does not mention XM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
How does the base unit get XM? I’ve looked in the book and pushed every button. I realize the SXM is a subscription service, but my radio doesn’t get it and does not have a shark fin antenna. As a matter of fact, I called VIOS as they have XM kits for radios without XM and their engineers could not hook up XM on that unit without getting static. I feel pretty comfortable in saying the only way to get XM on the base unit is to get it on an app on your phone and play it on the radio, My which is what I do. My original sticker also does not mention XM.
I dont believe the 5.0 base radio had xm either. the 7 that was in the 17 and up may not actually have xm but the wire harness most likely still has all the hookups. But if the radio does not have it you would need to get the kit to add it. I added an 8.4 radio to my 16 and had to get a xm antenna that plugged into the back of the radio to get that feature to work even though the radio has a 5 year free sub to sxm the car did not have the sxm antenna included.

Ron
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Ron. I believe you are right! However, I plan on putting the OEM shark fin antenna on the car. My question is, if the XM cable is in the car, and I don’t have an XM antenna, where is the antenna cable end? Is it somewhere up in the headliner lost forever? Lol
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:52 AM

my father has a 2015 Charger with the small screen, in the book it says to push the SXM button on the radio screen, alas that is not on his 5.0 radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode