Add/Upgrade subwoofer to Alpine 9 speaker setup - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video Anything that pertains to the interior electronics modifications such as stereos, A/V, lighting...not exclusive to the Challenger please feel free to share

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Add/Upgrade subwoofer to Alpine 9 speaker setup

Can anyone tell me if the HK trunk subwoofer is a plug and play connection to the Alpine 9-speaker setup? I only ask because I have the opportunity to purchase the HK subwoofer cheap and wondering if it would work in my car. I believe the Alpine already has a small subwoofer "somewhere" but I'm thinking the HK trunk subwoofer might add a bit more oomph (is that a word?) to the sound.

If it matters, my car is a 2018 T/A 392 with the 9 speaker Alpine sound system.

Last edited by Patrick_S; 04-05-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,338 Times in 971 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_S View Post
Can anyone tell me if the HK trunk subwoofer is a plug and play connection to the Alpine 9-speaker setup? I only ask because I have the opportunity to purchase the HK subwoofer cheap and wondering if it would work in my car. I believe the Alpine already has a small subwoofer "somewhere" but I'm thinking the HK trunk subwoofer might add a bit more oomph (is that a word?) to the sound.

If it matters, my car is a 2018 T/A 392 with the 9 speaker Alpine sound system.
AFAIK, the Alpine sound system options are 6 speaker (so just like the base audio setup but with higher quality speakers) or 10 speaker (add'l center dash, rear deck sub, and rear seat sides). If you have the 10 speaker Alpine setup, you should have an 8" free air sub woofer in the rear deck, in between the two 6.5" speakers. There is a hole there no matter what, but if the sound system didn't come with the 8" sub there, it's covered over by a piece of rubber/plastic to seal out the trunk air from the cabin air, or something like that.

As far as the HK subs being a plug and play for your system, I would say it is possible but not highly likely IMHO. Each of the optional subs will have wires present whether or not the subs are there from the factory, but the factory amp will not be putting power down those wires if it wasn't set up to at build-time. So if you use the rear-deck sub wires to power the HK sub you buy, it likely won't be getting any power from those wires and thus basically be inoperable. The same goes for if you use the factory wires for the HK subs, but your car didn't come with that sub. They won't be getting any power from the amp, so it will likely not work either.

Your idea is a sound one, but I do not believe the setup/configuration of the car's specific factory audio system will allow what you are wanting to do.

If I am incorrect in this, hopefully someone will come along and correct me...

Nuke

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode