aftermarket radio install? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video Anything that pertains to the interior electronics modifications such as stereos, A/V, lighting...not exclusive to the Challenger please feel free to share

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
aftermarket radio install?

I currently have the uconnect 130s with 4 speaker system in my 2013 Challenger RT. want to add a touch screen radio(2bin) like a Pioneer,Boss,Kenwood. Well my question is what type of interface module to buy to keep all my steering wheel functions etc... Iam a Avionics Technician so the basic crimping and reading schematic etc... I have no issues with that. Try to keep my cost down. If anyone can give me a couple of choices and all components to buy to the install plus I have all tools needed. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,313 Times in 953 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanogar View Post
I currently have the uconnect 130s with 4 speaker system in my 2013 Challenger RT. want to add a touch screen radio(2bin) like a Pioneer,Boss,Kenwood. Well my question is what type of interface module to buy to keep all my steering wheel functions etc... Iam a Avionics Technician so the basic crimping and reading schematic etc... I have no issues with that. Try to keep my cost down. If anyone can give me a couple of choices and all components to buy to the install plus I have all tools needed. Thanks in advance.
You likely have 6 speakers in your car, even if its the base audio package. There are 3.5" speakers in the dash, 6x9 drivers in the doors, and 6.5" speakers in the rear deck. It's still only 4 channels of audio as far as the head unit is concerned, but the 3.5" and 6x9 speakers share a channel on each side.

Anyway, there are a couple of items you'll likely need to replace the factory head unit, one allows you maintain the steering wheel controls and the other allows the car to continue to use the audio system for outputting chimes and alerts. At least I think there are 2 different adapters for that functionality, it might be only one that does both. Whatever, the point is it can be a little confusing, and the best way I've found to straighten it all out is to use Crutchfield's website to do it for you.

So you just need to go to Crutchfield.com and pick a stereo similar to what you're wanting to go with. Add that to your cart, then go and look at your cart. The website will automatically add or make optional all the extra parts you'll need to make the stereo work in your car. You don't have to buy the stuff there obviously (although I would recommend that you do, they have great customer service and free 2 day shipping), but there's nothing that says you cannot use their website to help you figure out what all you need.

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:03 PM

I had the same stereo and used this to go with an aftermarket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-AMP...kAAOSwZANZeVlz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,313 Times in 953 Posts
Garage
Depending on what functionality the new aftermarket head-unit will have, and combined with what functionality the car currently has and needs to be retained, there are serveral different devices which can be utilized for the desired outcome. Go here and input your car's year/make/model, and it will narrow down the list to only the devices you need to consider (~6 or 8).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:09 AM

I've ordered a 10.1" android headunit, nice big display and has the android 8.1.1 oreo software in it with IPS screen, 4gb ram, 32gb space. Not just that, you'll need to order fascia and stalker adapter which is basically the connection from the unit to steering wheel so they can communicate to each other and also the plugs power it up too. It's a pretty awesome and most loved unit after reading the reviews.

2014 SXT - Overkill ported lower intake, AFE Momentum GT CAI, Straight thru pipes (after cats), Valvetronic mufflers with wireless remote, SRT hellcat wheels, Billet tech oil catch can, 91 tune diablosport Trinity T1000, BC Racing BR Type coilovers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,416 Times in 2,612 Posts
Garage
Share some model info so others can look too. Also, report back once installed for any issues, and accessories used to install as well. That may help others as well

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Unread 04-16-2019, 09:38 AM

I tried one of those Android head-units in my Impala (Eonon GA9180A). While the feaure-set and flexibiltiy is awesome, the quality just isn't there. They all have noise-related issues - alternator whine or noise from the speakers when wifi is active or VERY poor RCA outputs - or blueooth radios that quit working when it's below freezing - or noise-related issues with certain backlight colors, etc, etc , etc... The quality just isn't there.

Maybe the quality will get better in a few years, but so far, it's just not there yet - especially if you are a "demanding" high-quality audio person. Even if you use an exernal amp, you still have to live with the crappy pre-amp built into the unit.

I ended up having a nice wooden box built and made a "portable" stereo out of the Eonon and some Pioneer speakers I had laying around - added a 45Wx4 RMS amp and a PC power supply and the radio is PERFECT for this use. Sounds REALLY good in this nice wooden box when used with Viper4Android. :-) I use this thing every day and love it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in