Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Are all Line Output Converters equal?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Nuke 
#1 ·
I have the Alpine 6 speaker system and I want to add a sub and sub amp. I already have an older Rockford Fosgate sub amp and a JBL 12" sub from my old car. I've read about the PAC AP4 and the DSR1 but if I understand right, since I don't want to replace any of the factory stereo, I only want to add my sub with amp, I should use a LOC instead. Is that correct?

So looking up LOCs it seems there are quite a few out there. Is there any one in particular I should get or are they all pretty much the same? Thanks.

Oh, and if there is a better way to install my sub and amp please set me straight. I'm familiar with stereo basics but its certainly not my specialty.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you sure that amp doesn't already take high-level inputs? It's not rocket science so I would go with the basic cheap models you can find on Crutchfield. Scosche or Kicker. Unless you were re-wiring the system, you wouldn't need all the features the more expensive models offer.

#3 ·
The PAC module leaves the factory amplifier intact and running. RCAs and a dedicated turn on lead are preferable to the high level/LOC options. You should be able to run a PAC and aftermarket sub amp. If you have any doubts about keeping the stock system for the rest of the speakers, do yourself a favor and route the full signal range of RCA cables to your amplifier installation area. This will expedite the speaker amplification install.

#4 ·
True-If you think you may upgrade the system in the future this is a good idea. Cleaner sound.

#5 ·
Little late to be of use to the OP I'm sure, but i will throw in my $0.02 for anyone else that's looking to do this sort of mod.

Short answer - no, not all LOCs are equal. Some are definitely better than others.

However, for just adding a sub and its amp (or a powered sub AIO unit) to these cars, one of the $10-20 LOCs (Scosche, etc.) will do just fine.

Tap one of the rear deck speaker's wires for the LOCs inputs, and run the LOCs RCA outputs to the sub amp as low level inputs. Make sure to set both the LOC gain levels and the amp gain correctly, and you will have a pretty good sound from the sub (assuming its worth a darn and properly powered).

Could it be better? Sure.

But is the amount of improvement by "doing it better" worth the extra expense and labor to get it done? Eh, not for the average person IMO.

For those that it would be worth it to do it better, they'd likely not even go all piecemeal to begin with IME, so that may be a moot point anyway...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.