Dodge Challenger Forum banner

auto dimming mirror

23K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Challenger7 
#1 ·
Purchased a 2016 Challenger SXT while visiting my son out of state. Was blinded on the nite drive back by headlights behind me on the interstate. Don't think the auto-dimming function is working. Is there an off/on button? I can't find one nor anything in the manual about it. I do have a turnpike pass sticker on the windshield directly below the mirror. Could this affect it?
Any help would be appreciated
Randy

#2 ·
the auto dimming function is set on/off through menus in the touch-screen radio.

It might be Off in your instance

#3 ·

A Guy

#4 ·
Even with it on, I've found it to work slow and crappy, my solution is to turn it on, then put 2 pieces of tape ove the sensor, which is on the front (hood facing) left of th mirror, i use a piece of painters tape covered with a piece of duct tape. piaters tape for easy future removal. Slightly dims the view during the day, which is an advantage.

Which brings me to a personal rant of mine, Technology for the sake of technology, that actually works worse then the simple manual stuff. Like the mirror. Give me a flip button mirror any day over this POS that blinds you for a second every f-ing time a car gets behind you, POS does not work, F-you, Chrysler. Or the stupid temperature adjust HVAC system, that alternately freezes you, then bakes you, were the lever in a 1972 Toyota truck worked infinitely better- I want heat, put it in the F-ing Red more. Nav system is also Crap, though not along these lines. My google phone can find stuff, the Nav can't find it's own azz. :boohoo:, i know, but c'mon, it's obvious this Sht doesn't work Chrysler. Go find some real engineers for this stuff. 392 works good though. : )

#5 ·
The Chrysler setup should have been set for more sensitivity (or user adjustable) for the sensor on the inside. One improvement (rain-sense wiper system) over my other car is the Chrysler setup allows you to adjust sensitivity and it works well. Not having to vary the intermittent cycle is convenient (you set and forget with rain-sense system).

I have this auto-dim mirror feature on my other car (and does driver side mirror in tandem with rearview) and it works well.
Darkens quickly and if nothing behind you, lightens up so you can see what's behind...granted, the rear window on the other car is larger (more light comes in from headlights) and that helps. It uses the same front / rear sensor as the Chrysler system.

Part of the issue might be the smaller backlight on the Challenger, plus the rather large rear seat headrests block the incoming light to a degree for the sensor to detect...that's my theory.

Flip up mirrors are okay, but if the automatic system was tweaked for better sensitivity, it would be better.

Now if people around in my area would have their headlights adjusted correctly, or realize that blue indicator in the dash = high beams on, that would be so much better. They do this on city streets, so you get blinded a lot from oncoming traffic...

Reactions: MrQuadratic
#10 ·
Auto dimming I am unsure of. If the radio isn't properly recognized, that could be an issue as the Uconnect controls the dimming feature. Does it show it is turned on?
Azure Font Screenshot Parallel Software

But the Assist/SOS functions

A Guy

#11 ·
Auto dimming I am unsure of. If the radio isn't properly recognized, that could be an issue as the Uconnect controls the dimming feature. Does it show it is turned on?
View attachment 1056291
But the Assist/SOS functions

A Guy
It dosent basically the mirror dimming feature is Available on my infotainment. But it just dosent work when I try to activate it manually.
Gadget Font Communication Device Clock Display device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.