Car play help - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video Anything that pertains to the interior electronics modifications such as stereos, A/V, lighting...not exclusive to the Challenger please feel free to share

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Car play help

whats up guys, i recently updated my head unit on my 17 challenger from the 5 inch radio to the uag 7 inch from a 19 challenger. The main reason for the upgrade was car play, so i plugged the unit everything works great was just waiting on the dual usb port to come in as its needed for car play and data transfer. Installed the new dual usb port and cant seem to get car play to work. When i plugged my phone in it asks me to unlock my phone for car play so i do but i get no icon the head unit itself. I know most people upgrade to the 8.4 but has anyone encountered anything similar to this. I did everything possible on my phone turning on siri and as well made sure there are no restrictions to car play on my phone. Idk what else to check . Thinking of removing the unit for a few hours then plugging it back to see if it sinks up with the new dual usb port idk if that will help. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:25 PM

Have you tried multiple cables ?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
Have you tried multiple cables ?
I have, even went out and bought 2 new iphone cables at the apple store and nothing, no car play icon on the screen. I removed the head units, disconnected battery and pulled the fuses to radio and usb port will let sit overnight to see if it helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:23 PM

I would pull the fuse for the radio and force it to reset (with power on). It is different than pulling the radio because it has to go through a couple reset cycles sometimes. In short...the BCM reads the installed hardware and give the radio the OK.

A few months ago I sold a 7" to a guy after upgrading mine to the 8.4 and he had the same kind of trouble. I sent him the new style hub and all. Even swapped him the known working hub back into my car.

In the end he was going to take it to the dealer for troubleshooting but I never heard anything back. My swap from the 7" to 8.4" could not have been easier and I helped a friend do a 5" to 8.4" with no issues (no car play with that one though).
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
I would pull the fuse for the radio and force it to reset (with power on). It is different than pulling the radio because it has to go through a couple reset cycles sometimes. In short...the BCM reads the installed hardware and give the radio the OK.

A few months ago I sold a 7" to a guy after upgrading mine to the 8.4 and he had the same kind of trouble. I sent him the new style hub and all. Even swapped him the known working hub back into my car.

In the end he was going to take it to the dealer for troubleshooting but I never heard anything back. My swap from the 7" to 8.4" could not have been easier and I helped a friend do a 5" to 8.4" with no issues (no car play with that one though).
Prior to pulling the radio i pulled both the fuse for the radio and usb hub for 20 min the reinstalled and nothing dint even loose my radios presets or bt connection. I this time i unplugged the unit, pulled the fuses and disconnected the battery. Did you sell it to a member here on the forum? Maybe i can aske him some questions and see if he got the issue resolved.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael454rs View Post
Prior to pulling the radio i pulled both the fuse for the radio and usb hub for 20 min the reinstalled and nothing dint even loose my radios presets or bt connection. I this time i unplugged the unit, pulled the fuses and disconnected the battery. Did you sell it to a member here on the forum? Maybe i can aske him some questions and see if he got the issue resolved.
Did not sell through the forum - it was through eBay. One thing I keep thinking is your presets should have been lost. Have a look @ the Tazer instructions and you will see when installing there are a weird restarts you have to do to get it goinf. Wait pull fuse, wait 5 mins or so and then do it 2-3 times. I thought it was all nuts until I saw it workout.

Most people experience a couple radio restarts when installing a new one.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Im about to put it back together and see if it works hopefully it does the trick. Cant think of anything else that i might have skipped for god sake its car play i would have expected my ac controls on the head unit not to work or something else but car play 😕
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:42 PM

Garage
Did you download the latest carplay/ android auto app on your phone of choice?

2019 Challenger GT Upgrades Pending
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhxtyrant View Post
Did you download the latest carplay/ android auto app on your phone of choice?
With carplay there is no app. However saying that the OP should need to go into settings - General and under Carplay authorize the Uconnect system to function properly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CarPlayPhoneSetup.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	944203  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfedbug View Post
With carplay there is no app. However saying that the OP should need to go into settings - General and under Carplay authorize the Uconnect system to function properly
did this already, i made sure car play was on and also made sure it had no restrictions, unpaired and paired many time, did not have a chance to plug everythign back in yesterday but will defently do today and see is it resolved the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode